Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it's not something we use regularly, I really don't want to go out and purchase several different brands just to do a taste test.

Thanks!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Being Cdn, we wouldn't have the same brands as you do down there, but I can tell you that I have tried every store brand there is up here, and they all taste the same. At first, there is an aftertaste but its not long before it just tastes like milk. I also know that its what you get used to. Years ago, we started milking our goats. When we quit and went back to 2% normal cows milk, it was quite an adjustment and tasted 'strange'. So too, with powdered. It was not hard to get my kids to use powdered either. I didn't set out for them to use it, and told them I'd continue to buy them regular milk. Within a few weeks, we all use powdered.

·
woefully unprepared
1,489 Posts
I've heard rave reviews about Morning Moos powdered milk. www.moosmilk.com

Another thing you can do is boil and cool the water first. It knocks down that funky odor and makes it last a bit longer.

·
Learn something new today
122 Posts
I have a couple boxes of carnation. When I run out of milk, and my daughter is begging for chocolate milk, I use it with hersheys syrup. She doesn't know any different.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
We have found that it all tastes about the same... bland!

We have found that just a few drops of vanilla make the powdered milk MUCH better tasting.

Also, if use an aerating pitcher like the ones that emergency essentials sell. This helps the consistency and makes the milk much smoother.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Carnation: when I got back from Nam I swore I would do extreme bodily harm to anyone that even suggested powdered milk to me. But during the past 18 months that is all I have been drinking or using to replace milk around the old home stead. Carnation Instant Nonfat Dry Milk is easier on my system than regular low fat milk. We buy in the 4.4 lb carton from Sam's makes 22 quarts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
There's a product called Nido made by Nestle that is dry whole milk instead of non-fat. It's the best I've tried...far better tasting, to me at least, than the regular non-fat dry milk. Wal-Mart carries it in the Mexican ethnic foods section. I think it has about a one year shelf life.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts