Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen some stuff on raising tilapia, and pollock(? I think) and crayfish. I'm not sure about it but the idea appeals to me. I think if I can grow fish for myself and for some to trade that would be really good.

I was hoping someone on the board might be doing this already and give some feedback and advice.

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
Not me. Our fish are pets. :) Some of them even have names.

Have you seen this family in Arizona? The quick version is they bought a house that had a big in-ground pool, but it was not in good repair, they did not want a pool AND they were worried about safety issues for their small child. So they covered it over and turned it into a food factory. Part of the cycle is tilapia, which live in what was formerly the very deep end of the pool. Tilapia will eat just about anything, so the family has the chicken pen above the tilapia pond, on top of metal grating, so all the refuse from the chickens falls down into the pool for the tilapia to eat! They get lots of plant clippings and such, which they quickly turn into fish meat.

I had quite a revelation about the mysterious tilapia. My husband kept telling me it was not a true species name, it was more a descriptive name for a type of food fish. He was right. And not only that, it turns out that tilapia are also African cichlids, which we used to keep in a big expensive fish tank and baby and fuss over with expensive fish foods and stuff. We could have been eating those little guys! I bet they would have tasted great, too, with all the babying they got.

African cichlids are interesting fish anyway, behavior wise. The females mouth brood, meaning, after their eggs are laid and fertilized, they scoop them up into their (very large) mouths and carry them around until the fry hatch. Then the fry continue to live in their mother's mouth for awhile, till they outgrow her anyway. She carries them around until she finds a food source that she believes is safe, then she spits them out and lets them eat while she patrols for danger. If she is worried about a threat, she scoops them all back into her mouth again and swims to safety.

This means that mama cichlids have to be in really great physical condition before they breed, because for several weeks, they eat little or nothing, plus they take a lot of harassment from other fish. Cichlids bred commercially are mostly males; the females are too high maintenance to raise for food, because they are such great mothers.

Fascinating creatures.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
I keep fish, but not as a food source. Im in the Uk, so most of our streams have edible fish, so I would probably concentrate on catching those ones.

The thing about fish is getting the water right for them, once thats done they will pretty much look after themselves and breed well.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My brother grows Talipia to sell on a small scale basis. He lives in central Florida and has spent thousands of dollars and many many hours settings it up. He did this for a second source of income. If you need any specific questions answered pm me.

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
Tilapia are horrible. I guess if you are starving, or SHTF eating anything which moves, great.. As as desirable food source, I'd rather eat bugs.
I disagree. Rather boring white-fleshed fish, but quite versatile in cooking.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,429 Posts
Tilapia are horrible. I guess if you are starving, or SHTF eating anything which moves, great.. As as desirable food source, I'd rather eat bugs.
I've bought them from the store that were strong and tasted like mud. But I've had them in restaurants that were mild and pleasant. I think a lot of it has to do with the source. The stores here buy them from low quality sources. But it sure put me off on wanting to raise them. That was the very reason I was tasting them in the first place.

·
Gitter Done!
2,864 Posts
Know many that have aquaponics and hydroponics while raising different kinds of fish in their tanks that feed the plants. It works pretty well. I always kid them I am coming over with a fishing pole to catch some fish. Those fish are over a foot long at one place I visited.

I did hear of one nightmarish story where one dummy called the State and said he wanted to grow some fish in his hydroponics tanks. They said they wanted to see it, even sent out a guy to look at his set up because they didn't want the alien fish escaping and getting into rivers and lakes. He lives no where near any river or lake, but they charged him $50 dollars for a permit to raise fish and wanted to see his finished setup when he was done too. So, just be aware not to call the friggin State about raising fish in your own home or you will have to deal with a bunch of garbage and pay money to even raise fish in a little tank. The thing is, there is no law against raising your own fish, but they made it look like it had to be monitored and get a permit, which there is no permit required either.

·
I hate everyone equally.
1,349 Posts
I've seen some stuff on raising tilapia, and pollock(? I think) and crayfish. I'm not sure about it but the idea appeals to me. I think if I can grow fish for myself and for some to trade that would be really good.

I was hoping someone on the board might be doing this already and give some feedback and advice.
FYI.... It is crawfish, not crayfish.

·
Liberty or Death!
679 Posts
My wife is Filipina so we eat tilapia and milkfish often. I just went fishing this morning and caught 16 fish that were big enough to eat in the bay not far from my house. Thats quite a walk with my rod and gear I guess but not really if you're doing it for food so it will be a welcome supplement to our diet in the event of supplying our own food.

·
Banned
19,284 Posts
I'll take all you have!LOL The Sheriff in N.O> has the inmates farming their own tilapia for food and for sale.

We always caught crawdads in the ditches after a rain with a piece of bacon on a string. Don't remember ever eating one of them, however - not sure they would taste as good as one that is farm raised.
Give me Belle river/ Atchafalia(sp?) basin over farm raised every time

Yep, 'specially if you're talking to a yankee.:D:

·
Registered
388 Posts
My question is, how could you create a pond eco system that is self sustaining. Like putting in plants and bugs and such that feed the herbavores/bugavores and then some carnivorious(yet human edible) fish to keep the herbavore/bugavore fish numbers in check, and maybe some fish whose only job is to eat the algea to keep it in check with out chemicals.

·
Banned
19,284 Posts
You will need the ability to flood/ drain you "pond" to plant /harvest rice, which makes an excellent food source for you and the mudbugs.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts