Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
One of the Frozen Chosen
250 Posts
Hey Texas...it's deep deep winter here now, and we got another foot of snow while I was in Kodiak visiting the folks. With garden season over I missed growing things, so decided to go back to the 70s and do the sprouts thing again. I don't buy them because they often can have salmonella but never bothered to try growing until last month...the mixed sprouts included beans and lentils and were wonderful, very easy and good on sandwiches. I did another batch with just wheat; half going into the bread and half into the soup. Great fresh nutrition. I just ordered several kinds from mail order and am looking forward to having them. Now that I've started, I'm looking forward to seeing what else works, I read that radish is spicy and corn is sweet/chewy but be careful to get non-treated. Be good to have a lot of them on hand for fresh greens ...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And according to the wiki site, some sprouts are poisonous - including kidney bean sprouts! Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
501 Posts
No, but I did go to a little workshop that had a couple talking about it. It sounds really interesting and one day (hopefully over the spring) I can start.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The nice thing about sprouts is that you don't have to wait for spring. You can have some healthy nutrition in the middle of winter! I'm thinking that if we go into a depression and can't afford fresh greens anymore, this will be one way to get some natural, fresh nutrition.

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
Sprouting is fun!

I like alfalfa but I'm not allowed to eat it. Oh well... There is always bean sprouts and fenugreeks.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I"m waiting for my pound of sprouting seeds to be delivered ! I love them on salads and sandwiches. I did not know that about kidney beans. Thanks for the web site.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
I used to grow a couple of quarts a week... I was living with a Chinese woman at the time ... I call it my Stir Fry Period... Broccoli sprouts are more nutritious, however. As with all sprouts, you have two rinse them twice a day or they will rot fast.

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
I do sprouts mostly in the winter. Love the broccoli and mung bean sprouts. I eat them on sandwiches or throw them in at the end of a stir fry. Good stuff.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Yes, I grow them currently. We like sprouts on our sandwhiches and salads.
So far, I only have one type of bean, but I plan on buying more.

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,950 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
My favorite sprouts are from raw sunflower seeds. Soak overnight, then rinse at least twice a day until an inch long or so. I keep them on the counter after each rinse so they can "green" up a bit, but you may prefer to eat them without the added chlorophyll from the sunlight. After the last rinse, drain very thoroughly and leave out a few hours before refrigerating, as this will help prevent mold formation. The sprouts are still perfectly fine to toss in a salad even when brown spots appear, as long as you eat them within a few days.

More good advice here: http://chetday.com/howtosproutsunflowerseeds.htm

1 - 18 of 18 Posts