Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what it looks like:
https://www.foragingtexas.com/2011/09/wireweed.html

In a prolonged post-STHF scenario coffee may be scarce. I realize that there are substitutes like chicory but these don't have any bio-reactive chemicals that I'm aware of.

It may be necessary to remain awake and alert for long stretches when SHTF and coffee is probably the best legal pick-me-up around. I stock a bottle of Nodoze in my SHTF supplies as well as a few containers of freeze dried coffee.

Wireweed contains the stimulant ephedrine which used to be a common ingredient of energy pills but was banned OTC about a dozen years ago. A plant similar to wireweed is thought to be the fabled Soma plant of the Indo-Aryans. Ephedrine is said to be stronger oz for oz than caffeine but it can cause undesirable side effects such as raising blood pressure.

Has anyone tried wireweed? I'd be interested in hearing your experiences.

·
Super Moderator
CRAP CREEK SURVIVOR
2,716 Posts
Here's what it looks like:
https://www.foragingtexas.com/2011/09/wireweed.html

In a prolonged post-STHF scenario coffee may be scarce. I realize that there are substitutes like chicory but these don't have any bio-reactive chemicals that I'm aware of.

It may be necessary to remain awake and alert for long stretches when SHTF and coffee is probably the best legal pick-me-up around.
Maybe someone will chime in on the wireweed, but until then I'd like to point to something that may be a better alternative: Yaupon!

It is the only wild plant in North America that contains caffeine. Properly prepared, it tastes great.

Google dat and be amazed.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe someone will chime in on the wireweed, but until then I'd like to point to something that may be a better alternative: Yaupon!

It is the only wild plant in North America that contains caffeine. Properly prepared, it tastes great.

Google dat and be amazed.
Yep, the infamous black brew. Yaupon does grow in AR just not in the part I live. Do you think it's reputation as an emetic are deserved?

·
Super Moderator
CRAP CREEK SURVIVOR
2,716 Posts
Yep, the infamous black brew. Yaupon does grow in AR just not in the part I live. Do you think it's reputation as an emetic are deserved?
No way. Here's why:

Because yaupon is once again becoming a popular morning beverage (as evident by brisk internet sales and Amazon reviews, forum/Facebook comments, etc.), I tend to agree with this explanation of the scientific name, Ilex vomitoria (see the excerpts from the link below)

Also, not one person in any of the reviews or anywhere on the entire internet has ever mentioned a word about feeling nauseous after consuming roasted yaupon tea, much less actually vomiting. I am pretty sure that by now, more than a few people who have gone overboard by drinking a lot more than what is "normal,' would have reported something about ill effects. But I have not seen it.

https://www.navasotaexaminer.com/lifestyles/article_0188da02-c67f-11e8-91cf-0b837035d559.html

"The plant’s genus, Ilex, refers to another plant which it resembles. Vomitoria refers to what it sounds like, vomiting. That name is based on Europeans’ misunderstanding of a Native American ceremony. "

English naturalist Mark Catesby wrote “Natural History of Carolina, Florida and the Bahama Islands” between 1729 and 1747. In Volume II page 57 he describes how Native Americans prepared yaupon holly, “They say, that from the earliest times the virtues of this shrub has been known, and in use among them, prepared in the manner they now do it, which is after having dryed [sic], or rather parched the leaves in a porrage-pot over a slow fire… they prepare their beloved liquor.” He described a cleansing ritual held one day a year. Members of the tribe drank black drink to induce “spring cleaning” (vomiting). It is believed that other ingredients were added to create a special mixture. This is what lead to the misunderstanding. The rest of the year they used an infusion of yaupon leaves the way we drink coffee and tea.

American colonists were still drinking yaupon tea after the American Revolutionary War (1775–1783). There is no agreed-upon reason as to why the drink fell out of favor. Maybe imports of coffee and regular tea became more popular. Some say that the Civil War disrupted the yaupon holly supply chain and it was forgotten. In the mid-20th century, it was “rediscovered,” but trying to sell a product named for vomit was a hard sell."

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the SHTF and you need something to perk you up, you ain't paying attention.
Not sure I get your point. It's entirely possible to be well-prepped and still need to stay awake for several straight "shifts". For example, if you were bugging out through a dangerous area and needed to push through without stopping, a picker upper would be handy.

·
gard'ner
905 Posts
When I read green dean's post about sida:
http://www.eattheweeds.com/sida-wireweed/

... I started letting it reseed about the place...
Eventually I tried grazing the leaves...

Didn't do anything for me...
As he says in his article... barely edible.

Lately, I just pull the plant and toss to chickens... they have stronger stomachs than I do.

I've planted ilex vomitoria berries... had some come up.. large bushes now... any day now, I plan to try them... all the necessary prep before tasting... kinda puts a damper on things... If I was able to just pick some leaves and toss in the coffee pot like I do with the mint and monarda... Ida done tried the indian black drink by now...

Edit:
Maybe you could try making a sida tea...
The leaves are used as a tea substitute in some parts of the Canary Island and Mexico.

·
gard'ner
905 Posts
I've planted ilex vomitoria berries... had some come up.. large bushes now... any day now, I plan to try them...

all the necessary prep before tasting... kinda puts a damper on things...

If I was able to just pick some leaves and toss in the coffee pot like I do with the mint and monarda...

Ida done tried the indian black drink by now...
Yesterday, after posting the above... I went out and broke off some limbs from the ilex...
Tossed into stew pot turned on the induction plate....
stripped leaves off branches... threw back in pot...
added leaves to the blender... tossed back in stew pot... kept stirred with bare hands... to prevent getting too hot...
added water... brewed into a tea.
tasted like tea... mostly.

was drinkable while hot... when chilled... was not... heated in the microwave... became drinkable again.

with a cup of coffee and a cup of black drink side by side... I'm going to drink the coffee.... but... the black drink does make a decent substitute when out of coffee and tea.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Not sure I get your point. It's entirely possible to be well-prepped and still need to stay awake for several straight "shifts". For example, if you were bugging out through a dangerous area and needed to push through without stopping, a picker upper would be handy.
WRONG. You're better off finding a spot for a 15-30min nap. That will actually do you some physiological good. The science of fatigue and fear is widely ignored but hardly unknown.

"The Soldier's Load and the Mobility of a Nation" should be required reading for any prepper thinking SHTF or worse.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts