Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE SEPT 19, 2021

This appears to have begun. Please know that the likely outcome isn't that big of a deal... But we're preppers and should be aware of the possibility of a devastating tsunami on the East coast USA and even a possible event in the gulf of Mexico. Remember, if you can drive out, at least walk inland and.or uphill...

LIVE:

ORIGINAL POST

Local gov is preparing plans for possible evacuation.

According to wiki, the island could collapse into the ocean and cause a tsunami that could be a hundred feet high when it hits the East coast of USA about six hours later and flood inland as much as 15 miles, probably total destruction of everything within five miles of the coast.

How many people would need to evacuate within six hours? Tens of millions?

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Now, more to the point though..
if that thing DID pop, you have 3300+ miles of ocean to cover that wave.

If so, by the time it gets to the US its dispersal pattern may or may not really affect the East coast that much. Distribution patterns also have to take into account the inverse square law.

so what would it do if it did pop?

IDK.

·
Born 120 years too late.
6,356 Posts
THEY HAVE scaled and simulated that scenario to death and it is not going to be like an underwater quake with uplift displacement.
it is going to be a debris displacement if the island face slides into the ocean. They create a different type of wave pulse.
IF it goes worst case scenario, no longer have to worry about DC statehood being an issue. It will return to a real swamp after the water drains off

Worst case scenario from different computer simulations, Florida will have a southern island because it will literally scrub through the Everglades and create a channel/river between the Atlantic and the Gulf. And the Gulf stream will be changed forever. On the upside, could greatly reduce the python problem in the Glades.

Worst case.. MILLIONS will die simply because they will not believe it and evacuate fast enough and then the roads will not have the capacity. when they try.

In Lituya Bay, AK, there was a displacement tsunami, it was the largest known wave EVER.
It lapped up in the far shore over 1700 feet up on the bank , or to put it another way, the wave was taller than the Empire State bldg.

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
10,360 Posts
THEY HAVE scaled and simulated that scenario to death and it is not going to be like an underwater quake with uplift displacement.
it is going to be a debris displacement if the island face slides into the ocean. They create a different type of wave pulse.
IF it goes worst case scenario, no longer have to worry about DC statehood being an issue. It will return to a real swamp after the water drains off

Worst case scenario from different computer simulations, Florida will have a southern island because it will literally scrub through the Everglades and create a channel/river between the Atlantic and the Gulf. And the Gulf stream will be changed forever. On the upside, could greatly reduce the python problem in the Glades.

Worst case.. MILLIONS will die simply because they will not believe it and evacuate fast enough and then the roads will not have the capacity. when they try.

In Lituya Bay, AK, there was a displacement tsunami, it was the largest known wave EVER.
It lapped up in the far shore over 1700 feet up on the bank , or to put it another way, the wave was taller than the Empire State bldg.
Also warnings of the wave entering The Gulf and doing much….Wave tank shows penetration of average 40 miles inland on entire East Coast plus way more inland along the rivers and valleys

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Now don't get me wrong here.

not saying it isn't happening.
Everything i am searching isn't showing squat.
Western Sahara news agencies are not reporting anything. And its THEIR ISLAND!

Just saying I am not finding anything.

But doom and gloom I am not so sure about. Damage? Yes! Absolutely.
3 hours travel time? IDK. That would be nearly 1000 mph to travel that distance.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,911 Posts

But doom and gloom I am not so sure about. Damage? Yes! Absolutely.
3 hours travel time? IDK. That would be nearly 1000 mph to travel that distance.

A NOAA tsunami simulation report I read said it would take 9 hours for a tsunami to reach Norfolk VA.
Not sure where they were calculating the origin of the tsunami from...

Attachments

·
Registered
9,358 Posts
Been to the canary Islands got the tshirt and a girlfriend for a few days. This was something that the Islanders talked about hiked up there even back then there were huge deep fissures on the island. It could happen and if it did it would be a goodun. I guess we'll wait and see.

·
Registered
661 Posts

The charts from the island's geographical service are shown on this page:

President Torres seems to think it's worth talking about:

Canary Islands enters yellow alert due to volcanic risk in La Palma:

You probably won't find in in Western Sahara news yet, they've got their own problems.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts