Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I got my GF into prepping and what not. We havent been prepping as much as we should be here lately, but she seemed to be ok with everything. The only thing she didnt like was having to spend the money one some of these items, but in all honesty neither do I. But anyway, last night she goes "I just dont see the point of prepping and im not really that into it, I havent been I just didnt want to tell you that". Whats up with that? HOW do I approach this issue or make her see clearly?

·
4 Fried Chickens & A Coke
2,679 Posts
Well tell her there's no good reason not to

You can always eat the food at a later date, use the camping equiptment for some time in the future, and use guns for protection/hunting.

·
angel waiting
4,071 Posts
I will tell you from a women's perspective there probably won't be a good chance of changing her mind, but I would suggest trying as the subject might become a point of dissention in your relationship. If however she doesn't want to come to your side of thinking perhaps you can convince her to allow you to continue on your path maybe set a dollar amount that is sutiable for both of you. If she really loves you she will be willing to make a concession with you and reach an agreement.

·
See you in my Scope
2,622 Posts
I too have the same problem. My girlfriend is awesome for sure and I love her to death but when it comes to prepping and practice, she is totally not there. I wanted to take her camping this weekend but she wants nothing to do with camping in the winter.

My girlfriend kind of falls into the category of most of the sheeple out there of ignorance is bliss. I wish I could get her on-board here.

·
Registered
986 Posts
well brownie points to her for trying to support you, but unfortunately some people actually have to have a real good dose of going through a survival type situation before they can truely understand. She may need to go a few days without power or water or both, without the ability to just go stay at a motel or with a relative, before she can really understand. Now I do not wish this on her or anyone for that matter, but until she has her own personal experience, it may be hard for her, all you can do is keep at it for YOURSELF and be supportive and encouraging of her in finding her way... Best of luck sweetie!!

·
Rogue
1,617 Posts
I was lucky. My girlfriend at the time had family that lived near New Orleans. After hurricane Katrina hit we both went down there with supplies to help and she was able to see first hand why being prepared is necessary.

Its easy to play the what if game and tell yourself that there will always be help. Sometimes it takes seeing/experiencing the fallacy of that train of thought first hand before one will come around.

·
Believe in Yourself
4,495 Posts
Ok so I got my GF into prepping and what not. We havent been prepping as much as we should be here lately, but she seemed to be ok with everything. The only thing she didnt like was having to spend the money one some of these items, but in all honesty neither do I. But anyway, last night she goes "I just dont see the point of prepping and im not really that into it, I havent been I just didnt want to tell you that". Whats up with that? HOW do I approach this issue or make her see clearly?

Do you really what to be in a SHTF situation with someone that is living in denial of things getting much worse?
Does she not keep up with current events or have the ability to add 2+2 and see where thing are headed?
I could be wrong but things turning south could put people like that into a metal emotional meltdown.
Maybe you know her well enough to know that won't happen but "not really that into it"?!?!
Ok, into, staying alive or what?
I'd be real concerned what her list of priorities are and weather they line up with yours and just what it is keeping you together.
Loads to be said for like minds
"not really that into it" Is jut scary dude IMHO

·
www.chemflame.com
1,174 Posts
My girlfriend isn't into either, but I just do the prepping my self. She thinks if a hurricane happens, she can just drive to a motel somewhere. I've told here the hi-ways will be backedup for miles and she'll have to pay a ton of money for a motel room if she can even find one.

As long as it's my money and I do it my self, she is fine with it. She didn't even want me to buy a handgun, but now wants to go to the shooting range after I got one.

·
Weed 'em and reap
30,410 Posts
Women think differently than men. They think emotionally, which can give us the benefit of their perspective, even though it is often our task as men to temper their ups and downs and add consistency. She helped you prep because it felt right. Now it doesn't. You have to focus on those things that will make her feel good about it again.

I walk a very fine line with my wife. Most of our preps are food and food production, energy independence, and natural resources management / environmental stewardship. I had to take over the grocery shopping for a few weeks after her car was wrecked in an accident and we were without a second car, so I went nuclear on coupons, matchups, and rebates, etc. With the same budget that she had had, I started buying 3 times as much and stockpiling the rest. She sees the benefit of not having to nag me for grocery money, and of having the diversity and quantity of everything she needs appearing in the basement in large quantities. Like anything else, grocery store preps take months, because the grocery stores have sales on a 12 to 13 week cycle.

So I don't come across as a gun-toting nutter, just someone who is a good provider. Now that she has seen one of the benefits of prepping, I can introduce others. The idea is to demonstrate that the money saved by prepping can still provide "normal" lifestyle things.

Even if you come across as perfectly normal to her, if she describes your trends to her friends, they may be trying to convince her that you're a nutcase. Remember that women have been conditioned their whole lives (rightly or wrongly so) to seek validation. If you are the only prepper, and her friends are painting you as a violent ignoramus, you have an uphill battle to demonstrate that you are simply trying to ensure that you can continue to provide in any and every situation.

That said, living a prepper's live has a lot less stress and angst, if she can get past the stigma of being different and can learn to relax. ;):cool:

·
Banned
2,077 Posts
I can relate to this as my GF isn't really into prepping either. My suggestion is to continue prepping, even if you have to do it inconspicuously. If you love her and aren't willing to get rid of her then just turn it into a hobby of yours. She might or might not catch on eventually but that should never stop you from preparing to survive any eventuality. I think its funny how a lot of folks here think it has to a rule that both parties in a relationship have to be involved to make it work. I prep and have been prepping by myself for years. If she's around when tshtf cool, if not I'll still be prepared.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
she must like the thought of starving those extra holiday pounds off her- right before she starves to death

Reactions: joes

·
Weed 'em and reap
30,410 Posts
Do you really what to be in a SHTF situation with someone that is living in denial of things getting much worse?
Does she not keep up with current events or have the ability to add 2+2 and see where thing are headed?
I could be wrong but things turning south could put people like that into a metal emotional meltdown.
Maybe you know her well enough to know that won't happen but "not really that into it"?!?!
Ok, into, staying alive or what?
I'd be real concerned what her list of priorities are and weather they line up with yours and just what it is keeping you together.
Loads to be said for like minds
"not really that into it" Is jut scary dude IMHO
I can be old-fashioned at times (I'm 31, so don't call me a geezer), but it is our job as men to slay the proverbial dragons. It's not her "job" to take the lead on preparing for unpleasant things. It is his job to take the initiative and demonstrate the need. How can he become the head of his family if he is not willing to think about the necessities and lead by example? In contrast to the feminized androgenous geldings parading around as men these days, he needs to man up and make sure his family is taken care of, metrosexuality be damned. Sure, she may not handle SHTF very well, but she'll handle it better if she is one of the few people with food and water and shelter. ;)

·
Just a rock & spear guy
1,333 Posts
MrsGronk did not like all the things I had set aside. She thought "Oh I really don't have to go grocery shopping for a really really long time." when she moved in and saw my preps.

Then the two of us were unemployed at the same time for nearly seven months back in '97. She didn't want a pistol of her own until the neighbors were robbed. She wouldn't carry in the house untill we interupted a burglary in our house by coming home early one day. She didn't want a generator untill last year's big ice storm and we didn't have power for a month. (We live far from town)

She's on board all the way nowadays. Some times it takes a life threatening incident to wake people up.

·
Permaculturist
1,032 Posts
Perhaps initiate a conversation about the role of honesty in the building of trust. Based on the content of your post & not living in your shoes, it appears that the most important issue here is not prepping, but rather trust. Trust happens to be a deal breaker in relationships.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
i'agree with what was said. give her room to breath talk it out . she may not be fine with it all but if she truly love you she will respect you and your decision . like was said try to come to an arangment financialy . ask her for more insight : what would she pack up ? maybe she needs to think about herself a bit and not think too much about you in your mutual preping . preping for women and men are much diffrent (i imagine) in many aspects . personaly, i talk small outages and localised SHTF scenarios not end of the world things . (its down the line but like the book says nobody knows when!)

maybe she isnt much into preping because what you put on the groceries list dosent match up to her needs in term of prep ?

comunication is real important in a family . thats how it stays together and form bonds

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,272 Posts
Angel makes a good point and is probably right. Drudge speaks some very wise words.

About the only thing I can add is possibly to keep her gently reminded of the disasters that suddenly pop out of nowhere. The Big California earthquake, Katrina, even the nonstop string of hurricanes that keep wiping out parts of Florida, and that the government simply can't respond soon enough.

Sometimes the wierdest things happen out of the blue. Like here, in the desert, where we normally get about 9 inches of rain throughout the year. Back in 2006 we got 10 in several hours and were nearly washed off the map. Water blocked my only evacuation paths and I had to bail to the desert. It could be anything, any time, anywhere.

Preps are more than just for disasters too. They're a great hedge againt unemployment. A very valid concern in this economy. If not for my preps, we'd be in a world of hurt right now. We've been living off them and the garden since mid summer, when the economy put me out of business.

·
Registered
688 Posts
You're probably better off listening to tadbitangelny but you could watch a few Alex Jones movies or webcasts. Scared the bejezus out of both of us and now I'm editing a video series of wild food forage walks and looking for a 4X4. Two years ago I drove Jags and had no guns...

Oh how things change sometimes. lol

Reactions: Harmless Drudge
1 - 20 of 103 Posts