Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considered essential, thankfully I retire on the 17th and I'm out of that rat hole I used to call work for good.

Management revealed that we have 26 + cases at work so far, between 3 facilities in the NYC area. The 3rd in my building, they tried to hide it from the 2nd shift work force, went over like a fart in church. This makes 4 I know of. The buildings are cleaned every weekend, no work is done.

Many work from home, I have to be available to take care of things so I have to show up. We have masks, wipes and hand sanitizers. I've been taking vacation time, took off over 1/2 of March. Productivity is about 20% of what it used to be. I have a lot of problems getting information from those who work from home.

Now we have to follow an asinine protocol before reporting to work on Monday and likely all week. They gave us a web link to access, from our home PC and possibly from phone would work. We do a questionnaire which gives us a green or red status that is linked to a text message we have to show a nurse when we get to work. Past that, we get our temperature taken, THEN we can enter the buildings.

If I have to be in at 7, well, now 8 is the new 7 as far as I'm concerned.

·
I'M READY!!
4,140 Posts
I'm considered essential but work has been slowing down just this last week. Shipping/receiving/order fulfilment for IT stuff mostly. I'm still scheduled to work one day on, one day off unless a its a big shipment, then its all hands on deck. I'm worried about layoffs so I've put myself on the "on call 24/7" list to grab as much extra income as I can. So far nobody has reported any sickness.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I work in an auto plants plant. We are considered essential because we supply the assembly lines. I am working now but orders are running out. I think there is a layoff in my future. Welcome to Great Depression V2 :-(

·
Registered
106 Posts
Still working. At first they cut hours and I was able to work a couple of half days which was nice as that allowed some time at home to get things done there. Now they have "furloughed" a great deal of people and I am back up to my regular hours. Hospital and Drs office not allowing visitors and only patient allowed in. Screening begins on employees next week.

The ones on furlough actually have it better money wise than the ones still working. Not for sure how that happened. :) Think they need to compensate the ones still on the front line dealing with all of this, but it will not happen. :(

Everyone stay safe out there.

·
Ebola brought me here
153 Posts
Surprisingly, oil and gas is still going strong, so our workload as Pipeline Controllers has not changed.

They still have half of us working out of our (backup) San Antonio office and half of us working out of our (normal) Houston office. This started on March 18th. They changed our schedules to 7 on/7 off and I got assigned to the San Antonio crew. So I’m living in a hotel/working in San Antonio and then driving back home to Houston on my 7 days off.

They were gonna rotate us, send the Houston crew to San Antonio and let us stay in Houston for the next month, until our Houston office came down with their second COVID-19 case. So they changed their minds about rotating us. No symptoms from our San Antonio crew yet.

One of the nice things about this is: my hotel room has been paid for until May 20th, so I don’t have to worry about sanitizing the room.

Also, we’ve contracted a lady with a catering business to prepare all of our meals. She brings us too much food and I hate to see it go to waste. I bag up what we don’t eat and live off of it for the 7 days when I’m at home.

Luckily my dad lives in San Antonio, so I don’t feel totally isolated, plus my Lab stays with him and his two Labs when I’m there. So my dog is getting to play at being a country dog right now, albeit poorly, somehow managed to rip off a dew claw nail last week, otherwise he’s having fun there and I don’t have to feel like the worst dog mom ever!

Saving a ton of money right now in food, electricity at the house, fuel. Only preps I’m going through are nitrile gloves I use when fueling up. So I’m feeling pretty fortunate right now.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
The company I work for is essential, so I still have to show up. Though I'm glad to still have a job. My work isn't essential - far from it. But luckily I work in a corner of the warehouse and can have very limited interactions with others.

They haven't cut our hours and I don't think they will. I have been trying to get as much overtime in as I can, when I can. This past week I only got 1 hour in, but the two weeks before that I got 14.

My friend works in the warehouse of another large company. Luckily I transferred to the online shipping part over the summer. They furloughed most of the main warehouse employees due to a large drop in sales for the stores (sports equipment and clothes) and now are almost only selling online. But even the online part of the business isn't that busy. This is usually one of their busiest times and he's just getting 40 hours a week in.

·
Possum Lover
15,543 Posts
We're essential but out sick half of last week (migraine for me, seizure for him).

Reactions: Iamfarticus

·
Run Silent, Run Dark
884 Posts
Yes, at a factory making steel widgets for industries on the front lines and in spotlight.

We are down to about 1/3 of the original work force. They were given the choice to go or stay with no judgement or retribution. I'm doing 10 hr a day and some are doing 12 hr days.

I am social distancing, washing hands, using hand sanitizer in/out of the car, wearing a mask, and will stay home if sick.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
How in the hell is stocking vending machines 'essential'?
When you provide it to "essential" businesses.

I work in a large warehouse (probably 500-600 people between 2 shifts). There's an outside vending company that is there every day. There's also an outside cleaning company that still comes in twice a day to clean the bathrooms and such.

Another outside company cleans the uniforms maintenance wears. They still come in regularly.

·
Wildlife Proctologist
2,168 Posts
Am considered essential but wife is working from home. Working a lot more hours than normal but it's good to get out of the house.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I've spent last three weeks at home, had actually last week as vacation time. Next week I already know I have one client I need to physically visit, a food processing factory has their internet cut off so there is probaby some on/off switch that needs toggling.

Some of my coworkers support hospitals, they have been busy and I do not envy them at all. Luckily something like 90% of our work can be done remotely.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Medical supply manufacturing, essential and proud of it. One of the reasons I stayed at this job, people don't magically get better and need our products, recession, depression, pandemic, etc. Over 600 people running 24/7. Temperature checks, social distancing, sanitzers everywhere.

·
Banned
11,403 Posts
I teach, so I’m working, although it’s online so I can do it from home. My wife’s a custodian at the school, so she has been doing the stuff they usually do in the summer, deep cleaning, which fits the scenario well. Since she goes in, I go in too, besides, all my stuff is there, and it’s 2 miles from home, so why not?

Locally, most places are working, it’s oil production, so the drilling goes on, the trucks roll, and the services keep supporting that, but many of the offices are shut down. Local businesses are working. Can’t afford to shut the doors, and we don’t have any orders, the three counties out here only have about 4 confirmed cases, so it’s not a panic thing at all, unless you believe the media...and we don’t.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Gubnet here.

I AM THE MAN!!!

I work in an Assessor's Office and hell hath no fury like a scorned tax man!

I don't care if you ARE sick and dying! You have to pay your taxes!!!!

(the morons in the upper echelon of my county refused to put off property tax NOV's for the year, so were doing protests NOW rather than in May or June.. )

Brilliant.. Just brilliant!

1 - 20 of 94 Posts