Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..get renewable energy in place as a part of SHTF planning? Personally, my Bug-out plans involve traveling to my property that is pretty well secluded from society. I was able - after some time - to get electricity there, so for any minor or short-lived SHTF's it would be like a luxury vacation.. However since I believe that prolonged TEOTWAWKIs with power failure could quickly transform that vacation into a hot, humid, hell hole! And while the wildlife could sustain life fairly easily, I know that not being able to store surpluses of game would make survival very difficult at times..

That is why I am trying to implement some type of renewable energy infrastructure.. Being able to supply power to a Deep freezer could mean the difference in my family living or dieing!!

Having been studying how to best accomplish the tasks at hand for a long time, I now have very lengthy, detailed plans that I will not post unless others are interested..

Anyone have similar ideas or worries????

-RJ

·
One of the Frozen Chosen
250 Posts
We are also working to implement as many sources of power as possible at our site..including passive solar heat (I'm in a cold climate location), solar panels to charge deep cycle batteries...for the short term there's the generators but we are starting to research the possiblity of a water turbine in the creek for when the fuel runs out ... (and hope for the water to not freeze solid as it has in the past! But in that case the need for the freezer is moot.:rolleyes:) When all else fails I can process the meat we've frozen by smoking, jerking, canning, brining, etc.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are also working to implement as many sources of power as possible at our site..including passive solar heat (I'm in a cold climate location), solar panels to charge deep cycle batteries...for the short term there's the generators but we are starting to research the possiblity of a water turbine in the creek for when the fuel runs out ... (and hope for the water to not freeze solid as it has in the past! But in that case the need for the freezer is moot.:rolleyes:) When all else fails I can process the meat we've frozen by smoking, jerking, canning, brining, etc.
I will also be taking advantage of the fact that my property butts up against the Alabama River.. Here's a good resource that I have used as a guide for materials needed:

http://www.homepower.com/basics/hydro/

as for the smoking, jerking, canning, brining, etc.; Great idea.. I do much of that now and have partnered with a property owner close to by BOS to dig in a pretty good sized root cellar to store such things.. Heat index reaches 120 many summer days, so keeping what I've canned becomes a chore as well...

·
Registered
497 Posts
As was said above have you considered canning, dehydrating, smoking and salting as alternatives to the freezer. Passive solar cooling ie placing your Hide away in tree or other cover. Swap coolers are an option as well. Another I have noticed is and regret doing is buying an Air Conditioner. A lot of time you get use to the heat after a while it may seem like it's blistering hot but you can live through it. You mention a freezer I hope this is not the only prep you have at your bug out site if the power grid fails during a SHTF you'll find yourself with nothing at your fall back maybe some canning and stockpiling of cans might be an idea as back up the freezer.

The Solar arrays (electrical and hot water), wind turbines and water turbines represent a significant amount of investment are you sure about putting them in a place you won't spend that much time at. The problem I see with running a Freezer is the sheer wattage your talking about keeping things cold is an large investment.

Canning and the rest of the methods can be completed on a wood stove and in the long run cost less and can be done by yourself. You might want to also check out the gardening forums it includes people working on this sort of issue :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i worry that many of the "going to'ers" will never in fact accomplish all the going to's.... better get on it
While I appreciate your concern, you should be able to rest well knowing that much of my energy project is either completed or in the process of being completed.. Now we (my survival group) is designing a set of small turbines for the general good of the group.. We control a little over 150 acres of adjoining remoteness, along with a 1100 acres out parcel approximately 30 miles away (out parcel is generator only right now). Many of us use our land as hunting/fishing camps for much of the year, so we are always in the process of implementing some plan or another with the ultimate goal of becoming a self-sustaining community when/if necessary..

Even without having our energy plans completed, we are able to keep enough deep cycle batteries charged and on hand to power the trolling motors of our boats... Which I believe is a good start!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
497 Posts
I will also be taking advantage of the fact that my property butts up against the Alabama River.. Here's a good resource that I have used as a guide for materials needed:

http://www.homepower.com/basics/hydro/

as for the smoking, jerking, canning, brining, etc.; Great idea.. I do much of that now and have partnered with a property owner close to by BOS to dig in a pretty good sized root cellar to store such things.. Heat index reaches 120 many summer days, so keeping what I've canned becomes a chore as well...
Let em know how this works out I'm just starting a 5-10 year plan where If I can I want as much of my power to come alternatively but need the grid for work. Computer programmers need a steady supply of java and electricity.
If the world ends Ill be too busy to program any way but till then I needs my grid feed.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
As was said above have you considered canning, dehydrating, smoking and salting as alternatives to the freezer. Passive solar cooling ie placing your Hide away in tree or other cover. Swap coolers are an option as well. Another I have noticed is and regret doing is buying an Air Conditioner. A lot of time you get use to the heat after a while it may seem like it's blistering hot but you can live through it. You mention a freezer I hope this is not the only prep you have at your bug out site if the power grid fails during a SHTF you'll find yourself with nothing at your fall back maybe some canning and stockpiling of cans might be an idea as back up the freezer.

The Solar arrays (electrical and hot water), wind turbines and water turbines represent a significant amount of investment are you sure about putting them in a place you won't spend that much time at. The problem I see with running a Freezer is the sheer wattage your talking about keeping things cold is an large investment.

Canning and the rest of the methods can be completed on a wood stove and in the long run cost less and can be done by yourself. You might want to also check out the gardening forums it includes people working on this sort of issue :)
Believe me I have thought about it from every angle.. As of right now, our plan does not include running a freezer if we were to lose power.. We have an industrial size ice maker that can run off of AC or DC.. That would enable us to store things on ice and rotate coolers as you suggest. For purposes of this thread I am only looking at this from a 'NO power grid" perspective..

As for the investment.. actually I do spend a great deal of time there! We have some of the best fishing and quiet waters of anywhere, and our private shooting range is a definite plus as well! Some times of the year, I am there about 3 days a week. Plus, until lately, I have been fairly successful with my investments and have been blessed with a great job for years, so I don't mind the expense.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let em know how this works out I'm just starting a 5-10 year plan where If I can I want as much of my power to come alternatively but need the grid for work. Computer programmers need a steady supply of java and electricity.
If the world ends Ill be too busy to program any way but till then I needs my grid feed.

Will do compboy!! Southern Company actually has a hydro-electric dam not far from my property (by water anyways).. My chief concern with that is when the SHTF, will they leave the dam open or closed??? The sad part is that I'm not even sure which would ultimately be better! Seems like there woul dbe pros and cons to each!!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Will do compboy!! Southern Company actually has a hydro-electric dam not far from my property (by water anyways).. My chief concern with that is when the SHTF, will they leave the dam open or closed??? The sad part is that I'm not even sure which would ultimately be better! Seems like there woul dbe pros and cons to each!!
I'd be a little concerned about that dam how much volume of water is it holding back and what happens after it's no longer maintained. I hope you not in the path if it fails. Either no water or too much.
Maybe you should take up surfing. Surfs up dude.:D:

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'd like to have one of those solar powered freezers / refridgerators -- but they sure are high $$ -- along with the panels to run 'em.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd be a little concerned about that dam how much volume of water is it holding back and what happens after it's no longer maintained. I hope you not in the path if it fails. Either no water or too much.
Maybe you should take up surfing. Surfs up dude.:D:
Actually i'm above the dam.. But trying to guess what their SHTF plans is causes me much grief..

Might not wanna surf here!! I've seen gators that could swallow a whole surf board at once!!

·
Registered
497 Posts
yumm, gator meat anyone know how much it cost to mount a gator. (Jeff Foxworthy is my hero) So your food problem is solved right there. Yeah I do need to go to sleep. I just can't imagine some large lizard that can walk into you yard and eat you course I guess we have bears.
If your crazy you could try talking to them about what happens to the dam if the government falls. If your recruiting a new member to your group send him as an initiation that way you can avoid the nastiness of cavity searches and disavow disavow. "No officer we have never seen him before honestly"
I'm fairly certain they have emergency spill ways that are always open and My guess is they leave it open less strain on the dam structure. Course many policies don't make any sense at all.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Believe me I have thought about it from every angle.. As of right now, our plan does not include running a freezer if we were to lose power.. We have an industrial size ice maker that can run off of AC or DC.. That would enable us to store things on ice and rotate coolers as you suggest. For purposes of this thread I am only looking at this from a 'NO power grid" perspective..

As for the investment.. actually I do spend a great deal of time there! We have some of the best fishing and quiet waters of anywhere, and our private shooting range is a definite plus as well! Some times of the year, I am there about 3 days a week. Plus, until lately, I have been fairly successful with my investments and have been blessed with a great job for years, so I don't mind the expense.
After three months secured of living expenses.
if ya got the money it's better spent on preps then in a bank waiting to disappear should something big blow up. I don't have enough money of that sort of thing two more years left of University before I'm done second time around for me. I'll be glad when its done. I thought doing it the first time was bad with kids it's even harder.

I didn't realize how much time you spent there sorry I was thinking more of a place you visited from time to time just to ensure it's security and other then maybe hitting it over the weekend or to go hunting in.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After three months secured of living expenses.
if ya got the money it's better spent on preps then in a bank waiting to disappear should something big blow up. I don't have enough money of that sort of thing two more years left of University before I'm done second time around for me. I'll be glad when its done. I thought doing it the first time was bad with kids it's even harder.

I didn't realize how much time you spent there sorry I was thinking more of a place you visited from time to time just to ensure it's security and other then maybe hitting it over the weekend or to go hunting in.
Yeah your right about the prepping.. I'm not sure what to think about the markets right now.. looks really really bad and i still have a big hunk of cheez tied up in it.. so far it has beat the alternative of taking it out and paying taxes on it.. Problem is that as soon as I have resolved differently, it will probably be too late to get it out!!! just one of those 'damned if you do damned if you don't' type deals right now!!

What are you studying this time around? How many kids??

luckily my schooling is over and my first youngn' (son) is not due until Christmas day! I'm excited as all get out, but nervous about caring for a baby in a survival situation.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
First step in getting off the grid is removing as many large loads that you can.

Examples-

Electric water heater- switch to gas, wood or solar

Electric cookstove- switch to gas, wood, etc.

Electric dryer- clothesline or gas dryer

Electric heat- use a fireplace or stove.

Doing something different with these items will relieve most of your MAJOR loads and make an AE system affordable.

It's tough to have an "affordable" (that means sub $20K BTW) AE system if you insist on any of these items above.

This does NOT mean you have to "go without" these things, it just means you need to use ALTERNATIVES where you can.

We run a second house on the property here that is not used daily on 1 Kyocera 120 watt panel, 1 C40 charge controller, a Xantrex 1512 inverter and 12 Trojan T105 batteries. Total cost of the system was just over $2,000. We also have it wired where we can charge the batteries over there with our genset, as 1 panel isn't much of an INPUT source!

The system we use at our house consists of 14 Kyocera 130 watt panels, (2) C40 controllers (fixing to upgrading to an MPPT), a Trace 4024 inverter and (20) Trojan L16's. A diesel genset backs up both systems but is rarely used.
We go back on the grid from mid June to mid September. 110 degree heat and no air conditioning is just torture, we did it the first year here, but since we already had grid power here, we decided to just use our system 9 months out of the year.

The way I understand micro hydro is that you need at least 7 feet of drop. Now the advantages are that if you have that sort of thing it's probably year round, also IIRC micro hydro is AC which mean you could in theory do this without a battery bank (however I'd have one anyways). Also, a micro hydro unit wouldn't make any NOISE as a conventional genset does and doesn't require FUEL.

Lowdown3

1 - 20 of 41 Posts