Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year all my seed orders seem to be running late, not shipped yet, or have been canceled.

Never had this happen to me before.

Of course I have enough stocked for this year if I use them all up, but still, kind of odd, in the past I could always get anything I wanted in a couple days. Some of my orders this year are three weeks late.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
I was at Walmart last Friday and Home Depot today. Both had well-stocked seed displays.

Admittedly, I typically get my own seeds through mail order from Baker Creek, and I have not done that yet. So I don't know if there will be any delays from using that method.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
I bought open pollenated seeds off Amazon this year. It was funny, each packet came from a different source and none of them came in regular seed packets, just little plastic bags wrapped in the invoice. I hope the genetics aren't compromised. I usually buy from seed savers, but they won't carry painted mountain corn.

·
Premium Member
2,340 Posts
I order seed from several suppliers all were received quickly.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Nope, seeds were amongst the first thing I "panic bought"
Got em local, so I paid a little more, but I have fresh seeds.
Nomad, your post has gotten me thinking I might order more seeds from FEDCO, just to be sure I'll have enough for next year as well as this year. Just in case coronavirus becomes a catastrophe here in the US. All the seeds I've bought and will buy are open-pollinated, and I do plan to save my own seeds from my garden this year. however, I've never done it before and so I can't count on viability of seeds I save (because I am a novice).

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
I'm not a gardener, but thinking long term, I ordered a Survival Garden from Amazon Prime. It has 32 packets/varieties of seeds and a 20 year shelf life.
2-Day delivery. Technically, I'm not ready to plant yet for a number of reasons, but if you're having problems getting seed, I'd suggest Amazon. Cost: $16.95 w/o tax.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I have been working on collecting my own seed, some work but in SHTF scenario I would need to be able to do so.

I have been doing my own radish seed for about 10 years now and adding other seeds here and there. I collected just under five pounds of various types of squash,zucchini and pumpkin this year for the first time. That was a bit of work, but worked well enough, I am blown away at how much better the seed I collected is compared to what I planted.

Another positive about collecting seed rather than buying it is that the plants throw certain RNA switches when growing in your climate which then helps the next crop to grow somewhat better in "your" specific conditions. I am supposed to get some beans that have been grown here and hand collected for the last 47 years from an old gal this spring. I guess those things are more prolific here than any other bean that you can buy as they are well acclimated to this particular climate.

I just finished my first germinating test on all of my old hand collected seed yesterday, I placed them on a double layer of napkins and placed a single layer napkin over inside a clear plastic doughnut container. They had all sprouted in two days and by the third day most had 1/2 an inch in root growth, so my seed is certainly viable.

I also tested my radish seed "in pod", I just snapped them in half which fractured the pod casing length wise and broke them in two pieces and set them in that way rather than extracting the individual seeds. They were one day behind the other sprouts but still sprouting just fine. That will make it a lot easier to plant rather than separating each individual seed from the seed pods. I have just over four cubic feet of dried seed pods, I really didn't look forward to all that work... lol I also got a few thousand turnip seed pods last fall as well, they will be in my next germination test round.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Huh, guess its just me.

Or maybe just amazon.

Only order I got on time was shipped from the Ukraine ironically enough.

Reactions: n1d and Mountain

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I like Jackie Clay's Seed Treasures. Have orderd there the last few years. Like supporting a micro company and they are all open pollinated.

Seeds will save for a long time with a few exceptions like lettuce. I should pull my lettuce seed out of the freezer and see if it will germiate....I always try to keep a few seeds tucked in the freezer. Also have been trying to save more of my own. There is a learning curve there as with most endeavors.

Along time ago I ordered from Fedco and THEN, a catalog came with a quote from Stalin (or Lenin) with his picture. I could not bring myself to order from there again. Probably an over reaction but..

St. Lawrence Nursey has a lot of cold hardy stock for those in Northern climes.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I bought open pollenated seeds off Amazon this year. It was funny, each packet came from a different source and none of them came in regular seed packets, just little plastic bags wrapped in the invoice. I hope the genetics aren't compromised. I usually buy from seed savers, but they won't carry painted mountain corn.
Just FYI, you can get Painted Mountain corn from Jung's www.jungseed.com. $3.95/pkt of 50 or 500 seeds for $10.95. Also Blue Dent and some others.

·
Don't fear the Reaper
1,505 Posts
I made a small order on 1/27 and they arrived today. Also the feed store nearby and the usual places like WM, HD, Lowe's and Dollar General all have their seeds out.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts