Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was a kid I didnt tend to my teeth like I should have had. I had them worked on as a teen by a insurance paid dentist who done a bunch of root canals. Now I am nearly 30 and about 5 years ago I had a bunch of the previous dentists work removed.. Teeth pulled, all that.. a partial denture made.

Anyhow, im not complaining about that. Just giving back story. The dentist office in town got a new dentist in. The previous dentist had told me a molar was going to need to have a root canal. I had came to the decision to just have it pulled when I met the new dentist. He told me he could put a filling on it.. I paid 70 dollars for the filling and my insurance company was billed nearly 400 dollars.. FOR ONE FILLING!... And it failed.. So now I am taking my fish antibiotics and waiting to get in. Just to have it pulled.

He also done another filling on another molar which is sensitive and hurts after eating. Its only been two weeks though so I hope it goes away. I have had a lot of dental work done over the years and never had this sort of discomfort before. Im tempted to write a letter to the dentists main office and complain about my experience but thats pointless isnt it? I agreed to a filling and it failed.. My bad..

Anyone else have pee poor luck with their teeth?

·
statists' be statin'
3,441 Posts
Found Fake Cavities
I never had and cavities. Had good teeth. I was about 20 years old and moved to a new town and found a new dentist. He found 6 cavities. Seemed odd but he was the expert. While having the 6 filled, he found one more - all billed to the excellent insurance policy my new wife had through her job.

I'm now 45, I've had one root canal, 2 or 3 other cavities, and one tooth that cracked. Five bad teeth in 25 years vs. 7 bad teeth in under a year. And 3 or 4 of recent bad teeth went bad under the fillings I had gotten when I was 20.

I'm sure I was scammed as was my insurance company.

Cracked Tooth?

My dentist thought I had a cracked tooth but wasn't completely sure. Sent me to an endodontist. The endodontist confirmed it was a cracked tooth and that I needed a root canal. Maybe - I don't know. But the way he confirmed this was very strange to me.

He had this tool he called a microscope that was mounted to the wall near the dentists chair. He looked through it at my tooth to see the crack. So far so good. Except that he did this from 3 feet away from my mouth. It was as if he was looking at my tooth through a telescope and trying to see a crack that was so small my regular dentist wasn't sure it was even there. It just seems that I couldn't possible sit still enough for him to identify something like that from so far away.

Was I scammed?

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
34,869 Posts
Yes, 2 tales of woe.

Fist was as a teen a dentist decided I should start having my wisdom teeth removed that were not having any problem (didn't emerge).
He tried and tried to pull that damn tooth. sliced the gum down. (all he gave me was a shot of novocaine) . He could not budge the tooth. I am built strong, so not surprising. Anyway, he gets out a freakin ball pean hammer and foot long chisel! Puts his knee against my jaw and starts wailing away. CRACK! SNAP! that bastard attacked my jaw for almost 2 hours. The scrub nurse almost passed out. When he said he was done with the 1 tooth. I stood up and got dizzy. had to sit for minute so as not to pass out.

20 years later a hunk of bone appears below the gumline. I thought it was my jaw growing oddly and it penetrated the gum. It was a splinter from that bastard's handiwork. again just last year had another bone sliver (almost the size of a toothpick) started poking out of the gumline. had that removed as well. (this was 45 years after the dentist from hell.)

The other one was a very high priced dentist in NJ. He decided he was going to do a root canal on a tooth. It must have been his first ever root canal. He had me in the chair for about 4 freakin hours. He would disappear for a while , while leaving a big rubber thing in my mouth. Probably to read the how to do a root canal manual.

Anyway, 10 years later the tooth blows up. Gets an abcess. He missed a nerve in the tooth, so I had to have a second root canal. -lesson. Always go to an Endodontist for a root canal.

And my other 3 wisdom teeth are fine. never emerged, never a problem.

Find a good dentist and a good Endo when you need something major done. . good luck.

(This teacher should have been a dentist) Just saw this today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPAO5VFdEbk

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Not a insurance story ( as far as I know )
When I was a young late 60s early 70s our family dentist was from Okinawa and didn't believe in local anathetics. To top it off he was a bit of a smart aleck so as you smelled the tooth burning, and he hit a nerve when you jerked he always had something unintelligible to say about it

·
Wrong Side of Heaven
4,786 Posts
Military submarine duty, was mandatory to have wisdom teeth pulled even if no issues. So out they came, while I was in the chair I got the tool layout on my chest. The big slobber vest, then several towels and the metal tools of torture just under my chin in view. Then he drapes a heavy towel over the top of my head covering my eyes.

He rolled it back and asks me if I knew why he put the towel there... I said probably to keep any blood out of my eyes.... He said nope, it is there so you cant see the stress on my face and upper body as I try to torque them out of your head. He grinned and pulled the towel back over my eyes.

I have no wisdom teeth... I have never had a cavity

·
Super Moderator
15,720 Posts
Military submarine duty, was mandatory to have wisdom teeth pulled even if no issues. So out they came, while I was in the chair I got the tool layout on my chest. The big slobber vest, then several towels and the metal tools of torture just under my chin in view. Then he drapes a heavy towel over the top of my head covering my eyes.

He rolled it back and asks me if I knew why he put the towel there... I said probably to keep any blood out of my eyes.... He said nope, it is there so you cant see the stress on my face and upper body as I try to torque them out of your head. He grinned and pulled the towel back over my eyes.

I have no wisdom teeth... I have never had a cavity
I got my wisdom teeth taken out in bootcamp. I was so tired from everything else going on that i fell asleep in the chair.

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
53,295 Posts
When I was a kid I didnt tend to my teeth like I should have had. I had them worked on as a teen by a insurance paid dentist who done a bunch of root canals. Now I am nearly 30 and about 5 years ago I had a bunch of the previous dentists work removed.. Teeth pulled, all that.. a partial denture made.

Anyhow, im not complaining about that. Just giving back story. The dentist office in town got a new dentist in. The previous dentist had told me a molar was going to need to have a root canal. I had came to the decision to just have it pulled when I met the new dentist. He told me he could put a filling on it.. I paid 70 dollars for the filling and my insurance company was billed nearly 400 dollars.. FOR ONE FILLING!... And it failed.. So now I am taking my fish antibiotics and waiting to get in. Just to have it pulled.

He also done another filling on another molar which is sensitive and hurts after eating. Its only been two weeks though so I hope it goes away. I have had a lot of dental work done over the years and never had this sort of discomfort before. Im tempted to write a letter to the dentists main office and complain about my experience but thats pointless isnt it? I agreed to a filling and it failed.. My bad..

Anyone else have pee poor luck with their teeth?
My worst experience at the dentist involved a root canal. I had gone to my dentist, Dr. Weilie Chang, for some time and liked her. She was Chinese; soft-spoken; very friendly; and had a gentle hand. However, she did a root canal that went wrong. In two different roots she broke off the tips of some drill bits. She was unable to retrieve them. From that point forward I suffered with on-again, off-again tooth aches. Some 30 years went by before I finally had that tooth completely pulled which eliminated the aches once and for all.

·
Living the dream:-)
1,620 Posts
When I was getting 5 cavities filled and an infection starting in wisdom tooth pulled. First time at this dentist. Was a nice guy, joking and laughing with me. We started with the lidocaine and I was pretty well numb. Not for long though half way thru my cavities blinding pain as it wore off. Shot me up again and finished the cavities. Started extraction of the wisdom tooth. ( I have very deep roots) lidocaine wore off a 2nd time while my tooth is breaking. Yeah not fun and this point. After the final max dosage of lidocaine he could give he managed to get the tooth out after yanking, pulling chiseling, and feeling like he might break my jaw. I was still feeling pain but slightly more bearable. Horrible day. Spent that night feeling like I got hit in the head with a brick and had a bad fever.
Next worst was breaking a molar in half biting a hard french fry (yeah i know) and not being able to get it removed for 4 days and cost me about 400 bucks because I had not insurance at the time. I truly think tooth pain is the worst pain I've experienced. I bent my knee the wrong way and it didn't remotely compare to the pain of and exposed nerve and a slight infection. Shaking from pain. Couldn't think straight. Would not want to have to be there for the people I care about in a shtf situation like that. Pain meds only helped slightly and barely.could function

·
M.R. Ducks
19,740 Posts
When I was a kid my dentist died of a heart attack while I was in his waiting room. As I sat on the little old sofa reading Highlights magazine there was a commotion behind the reception desk, some gasping and crying and in a few minutes an ambulance crew came through and carted the good doctor away on a gurney.

I sat alone in the waiting room for a while before Mom came back from shopping asking what happened.

·
Retired thinker
7,337 Posts
I have found MANY bad dentists in my life. Here's a few:

1. As a teen, I went to an older dentist on a regular basis. He cleaned my teeth and said they were fine. After about 5 years he retired and I went to another dentist. He asked when I last went to a dentist and I said, every 6 months. He went on to drill and fill just about every tooth in my mouth. The old guy turned in insurance claims for ? and sent me off with tons of cavities.

2. I went to a new dentist, Dr. Butcher (spelled - Boosher). I listened to the prior patients screaming in his office as he worked on them. When it was my turn, I asked what was wrong with the prior patients. He said "they had a low threshold for pain." He identified lots of things to fix and I said, see you later! I never went back.

3. The next dentist was discussing payment plans with the guy before me. He said "we can spread the 5K out over several months if that will help." I thought yikes. When it was my turn, he estimated I'd need 7K worth of work. He said "we can spread the 7K out over several months if that will help." I never went back.

4. The next dentist was ex-navy. His tech cleaned my teeth and he took a look when she was done. I was bracing for the bad news and he said, "you're all done." I almost fell out of the chair. I told him about the prior dentist and he said "well, if you were a movie star and loaded, I might find something to do. But your teeth are fine for an old dude." He turned out to be the best dentist ever... until I moved.

I have had TONS of bad luck with dentists. All I can say is if you find a good one, HANG ON TO HIM/HER!

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
July of 1980, TAD, had a tooth ache, went to the dentist onboard the USS Holland, my bad , should have waited,Friday afternoon, had no problem with my teeth, not perfect but no cavities, said i had cracked a molar, and did a root canal, said he had a app to make in Glasgow, so after drilling and filing, He slapped a temporary patch on it, and said to see him Monday morning.
By Friday midnight, Jaw was starting to swell, and thumpin a lil bit. Sat night, one side was swollen out heavy, ache was constant. wished i had left it alone.
Sunday morning, whole lower jaw as swollen, couldnt eat, couldnt sleep , would sit with my face close to a heater, till it stated throbbing, then let it cool, over and over. Monday morning, 0400 the watch caught me down in one of the fire rooms, trying to pull the tooth with a set of vicegrips i borrowed. entire lower jaw was puffed out, could barely open my mouth , skin was bright red with streaks. bout the time the watch yelled, I touched the tooth, and promptly Blacked out.

Came to in the dental chair, They had called one of the offduty guys in on a emergency, and they were pumping me full of biotics and pain killers till he got there.

when the dentist popped off the temp filling, the corruption and puss drained under pressure. It had turned the whole lower Jaw septic, and it drained and drained. I thought it was funny then, they hit me with morphine, and its the first time I saw a dentist puke in a trashcan. ( the smell)
after draining, they found the piece of a file the 1st guy, in his haste, had snapped off in the tooth. that cause everything.

I ended up medevac'ed to Germany, in the hospital for a week, and lost all my teeth in my lower jaw. Killed the nerves.

the Dentist? (officer) Her received a Reprimand in his Jacket.
Me? I received a Lower Plate (full) I should'nt have needed.

funny old world sometimes..................

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Two more

My wisdom teeth erupted while I was in high school I joined the army and started having trouble with them I could feel the jagged holes at the gumline went to a n army dentist showed him the cavities he said there was nothing wrong and told me to get out.

ETSed went to a civilian dentist first thing that I noticed was he didn't have a receptionist, or an assistant.
I get in the chair he starts talking
In an accent that is exactly the same as the dentist from "the marathon man" remember " ees eet zafe ?" Then drills a hole all the way through Dustin Hoffmann incisor. " now, eez eet zafe ?"
I didn't go back to him either.

·
Jihaadi GoBOOM
5,365 Posts
Dentists are like doctors, if they don't do what you tell them find another one.

Had a good one for a few decades, he retired and this young gal bought the practice.
She's OK, but it's taken a year of NO, I DO NOT NEED XRAYS, and NO MORE OF "YOUR INSURANCE PAYS FOR IT" REVENUE ENHANCEMENT CRAP, JUST A CLEANING, HONEY, to get her in line.

I think I'll let her live...

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
34,869 Posts
The 3 root canals that I had done by a good endodontist have lasted about 20 years now with no problems and they were done in under 30 minutes with no pain. The only problem was caused by the incompetent NJ dentist.

This is a procedure that needs a pro. (And they seem to be cheaper as well).

·
Registered
11,295 Posts
I have more than a few tales unfortunately.

1st time was a doctor in town above a bank. His name was Dr. White and he had this port-wine stain covering 1/2 of his face. Something was up with how the dental chair was mounted, I could see down into the bank below. Must have been a store room, not the vault.

Then there was one known as Bernie The Butcher. We went to him as little kids until his house and office burned. While we waited for him to get his ship together, my mom had us go to someone else, right by the school. I was around 13. He had this knock out daughter. Anyway, he put all temporary fillings in our teeth and used zero novacaine.

Back to Bernie. I was around 21 and just married and had a cavity on the back of a front tooth. He gives me a shot in the front of the tooth... no effect, gives me more and goes back to drilling. I grabbed his wrist to stop him.... man was he ****ed. I say, why not try the novacaine in the back of the tooth? He winds up with this syringe straight out of a 1910 back-alley ******** clinic with the delivery of professional softball pitcher. I probably have a scar there. Stopped going to him after that.

I have more, but have to get some work done today.

·
Time to melt snowflakes!
30,160 Posts
My first filling I discovered that I am one of those odd people which Novocaine is not effective on (it has to do with how nerves are pathed in the body) so my first filling I got to feel EVERYTHING. This happened a second time and now they give me several shots of Lidocaine (what they use for root canals) and it dulls the pain.

I hate the dentist.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.