Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started hammock camping for the last year. I use a Warbonnet Blackbird hammock and Superfly. There has been a little learning curve because a hammock gets chilly below 60 degrees.

I don't think I go back to a tent and a sleeping pad, unless I have to because of no trees such as a desert.

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
I bought my first hammock back in '78 and have been hanging ever since. Back then, it was a huge weight savings, these days it makes a lot less difference. But you still get off the ground, sleep more consistently, and can make camp virtually anywhere there's trees regardless of ground condition.

It is cooler, which is a blessing in the hot summers down here. It's easy to enough to adapt for 3 season hanging. For those hearty souls that winter camp, you can still make it work without too much trouble.

Az

·
Livin' life
216 Posts
Yep, it is the only way I camp (unless my kids are present). I just camp in an ENO. And a sleeping pad in the hammock goes a long way to make it warmer. Or, better yet, an under quilt.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Count me in. I don't have a super nice one, its a hammaka 2 person but its extremely light and packable, and comfortable. I got tired of waking up hurting a long time ago

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I have a hennesy expedition a-sym that I got as a present from the managers when I quit REI, but I haven't had the chance to try it out yet. I'm anxious to put it through it's paces and find out if it'll work for me though.

Any suggestions folks have for helping stay warm, like the OP said, would be appreciated. So far I just thought I'd throw my ProLite in it and see what happened. Would like a surplus wool blanket be any good for keeping it warm? Or would that just be added weight I shouldn't carry with it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have been hammock camping for almost 2 years now. I use the warbonnet blackbird and the clark north america. I have introduced several of my kayak/canoe buddies to hammock camping.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Not to derail the thread, but i ran into the problem of not being able to stake my side flaps(Fly) into the ground because i was on a mountain. How do you guys get around an issue like that? There was maybe 2-3 inches of topsoil then rock. There wasnt any trees lined up right to tie them off.

I have a Hennessy expedition asym.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree with the others it is a great way to camp and ive been hammocking for a couple years in a DIY model. A cheap sleeping pad can work great to keep you warm. Although I wouldn't recommend it I have slept in a hammock with just a double layer of fleece under me with temps dropping into the low 40's. I think it depends on how warm you sleep. DA

·
Livin' life
216 Posts
Not to derail the thread, but i ran into the problem of not being able to stake my side flaps(Fly) into the ground because i was on a mountain. How do you guys get around an issue like that? There was maybe 2-3 inches of topsoil then rock. There wasnt any trees lined up right to tie them off.

I have tied my fly off to trees, tent stakes, some random underbrush. If I don't have any other options, I find a pretty good size rock and tie it to that.

·
Registered
319 Posts
My dad used to make hammocks for us to camp in when I was a kid. I always thought it was cause we were poor. Now I hang whenever I camp. In the regions I've camped I've always had trees to use, even in AZ.

Lance, as for your question the only answer I have is to use a rock. I've done it once and it worked. The size of the rock will determine the amount of wind that setup can handle. In very little wind a bandana around a softball/ football sized rock will work depending on what's available. Just use it to anchor the end of your cordage.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts

Can't speak to the hammock fly specifically, because I haven't gotten to try mine yet, but when I've encountered this in the past, I've used a dead man anchor.

You just want to dig a "T" shaped hole, lay your stake sideways and attach the line to the middle of the stake, then bury the steak. These are often used in snow, on beaches and on river banks. Or make a sand anchor out of a stuff sack filled with rocks or what you have around and use it to guy it out.

·
I worship Ray Mears
250 Posts
I hammock camp year around ! I love it I have a Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 best hammock in my experience. During the winter I have my under quilt attached or wool blanket inside the hammock. I have a Hennessy Hex Rainfly I put over everything. For ground cover I use a Rothco Thermal Blanket. I have included some links if anyone is interested.

Thermal Blanket.
http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=7953&tabid=548

Hammock
http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just got my Skeeter Beeter a week or so a go. Love it so far, haven't camped in it but I've had it up in the back yard a few times. I was wondering what brand/size of tarp you guys use for a rainfly?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys, i will definitely keep them in mind. The other issue i had was keeping my lining underneath me. I ended up using it as a pillow since i couldnt get it to stay :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a hennesy expedition a-sym that I got as a present from the managers when I quit REI, but I haven't had the chance to try it out yet. I'm anxious to put it through it's paces and find out if it'll work for me though.

Any suggestions folks have for helping stay warm, like the OP said, would be appreciated. So far I just thought I'd throw my ProLite in it and see what happened. Would like a surplus wool blanket be any good for keeping it warm? Or would that just be added weight I shouldn't carry with it?

Hopefully you aren't any taller than 5'10. I bought that one due to the price and its too small for me. I've moved on to a Warbonnet Blackbird

·
Registered
56 Posts

I have a HammockBliss and a Crazy Creek B.A. Tarp Lite. I don't bother trying to stake out the rainfly. I pitch the ridgeline over the hammock and let it hang down on either side. Sheds rain like a waterfall. If the wind picks up, I run a length of 550 through the tie-in points along the bottom and tie it off.

·
Beans, Bullets, Bandaids
1,351 Posts
I would really like to try a hammock out, but here in So Ca, you just don't have a whole lot of trees in many places. I may look into picking one up for my trips up north however.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Hopefully you aren't any taller than 5'10. I bought that one due to the price and its too small for me. I've moved on to a Warbonnet Blackbird
I'm 5'9". Glad you mentioned it though. I'll have to set it up soon and see how I like it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Got a skeeter beeter that has never let me down and kept me comfortable MANY times, but, i gotta say... that warbonnet blackbird seems like the Cadillac of hammocks. It lays like a bed! but their kinda pricey for a bit of fabric sewn together. Id love to find a pattern and let my misses try and make and a-sym with a foot box and a shelf.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts