Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Biologist
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow members. Most of you wont know that I have been doing the insanity program for months now. However, after every work out I was still sore as my muscles ached. During the Insanity program Shaun T. would tell me to drink the "Results and Recovery Formula". I was finally going to pick some up, as I've decided to increase my fitness level even further. So I went to the official website http://www.beachbody.com . Long story short once I saw the prices I was floored, 50 bucks for 25 day supply (if you only have one serving a day).

I noticed in the feedback that it gave great results however. Luckily for me beachbody listed the secret to their recipe, a 4:1 ratio of complex carbohydrates to proteins. With this in mind I set out to make my own version.

However, I want everyone to know that this recipe is missing one thing, creatine. There are 3 reasons I chose not to include creatine. First, whether true or not I have heard long term use can damage your kidneys; while in low doses I doubt, but its better to be safe then sorry. Secondly, is the price, it would cause this recipes cost to increase a good amount. Finally, from my understand and research creatine pushes water into your muscles allowing you to do more exercises longer. However, from what I've been told its only temporary, meaning once you stop taking creatine its effects wear off (I.E. your muscle mass will reduce) . Below is the result of 3 hours of math and research. I achieved as close to the same ratio the "Results and Recovery Formula" but for a fraction of the price.

First you will need 4 easy and cheap ingredients, 3 of which can be bought from walmart.

Ingredients:

Quaker Instant Oats (Plain)
Banana's
Protein Powder (I'll be using a brand from Walmart called "Body Fortress" Super Advanced Whey Protein)
Water (Note milk can be used also, but will add calories and fat)

Cost (Using my recipe):

Banana's $0.54 cents per pound at walmart (14 cent per serving)
Quaker Oats $2.08 at walmart (16 cent per serving)
protein powder $13.00 at walmart ( 10 cent per serving)

Nutrition Facts for recommended serving size:

Banana: 105 calories, 27g carbs, 1g protein,14g good sugars*, 1mg sodium
Oats: 150 calories, 27g carbs, 5g protein, 2g good fats* , 0mg sodium
Protein: 270 calories, 7g carbs, 52g protein, , 100m sodium

Now we wont be using the recommended serving sizes, those numbers are for your references when trying to find the products.

I want to share the "Results and Recovery Formula's nutrition facts now.

290 calories, 40g carbs, 10g protein, 25g good sugars*, 150mg sodium

Now for our recipe
Ingredients:

1/2 cup dry Quaker oats
1 medium banana
1/5 scoop of whey protein powder(for my 1/5 scoop it was 1 tablespoon of protein powder)
Water

Directions:

Mix the 1/5 scoop of protein with 1/2 cup of dry quaker oats. Place it in a food processor or blender and mix until its powdery or until your texture preference.

Next add one whole medium banana and enough water (or milk) to fill a large drinking glass.

Mix until the oats and protein powder are dissolved enough for your liking, usually takes 30 seconds to a minute for mine.

Finally drink it! But use caution, it doesn't taste good! I recommend holding your nose and chugging it down as fast as possible, and it will be thick due to the oats.
(Alternately just mix the protein powder and oats, add them to water drink it and eat the banana separately for a thinner drink. But don't skip the banana its good sugars are very important!)

Now that we have the process of making it down, I would like to compare the SluggySlugworth health shake and the "Results and Recovery Formula" by BeachBody.

For the above listed recipe the following are the nutrition facts.

309 calories, 54g carbs, 11.6g protein, 14g good sugars*, 2g good fats, 21mg sodium

Now for the BeachBody formula nutrition facts.

290 calories, 40g carbs, 10g protein, 25g good sugars*, 1g sodium

Result and Recovery Formula has a 4:1 ratio complex carbohydrates to protein
SluggySlugworth Formula has 4.6:1 ratio complex carbohydrates to protein, pretty darn close!

We can conclude my recipe has 19 more calories but has 14g more carbs, 1.6g more protein, 2 grams of good fat. The results and recovery formula does however beat me in good sugars* and low sodium.

Now lets look at the price differences.

Results and recovery formula cost $50.00 per 25 servings
My recipe cost a mere $10.00 per 25 servings.

That breaks down to $2.00 per glass for theirs, and $0.40 for my recipe.

This recipe will save you $480.00 per year!

My stuff wont taste as good, but is 1/5 the cost and has all of the same benefits except the controversial creatine, which you're free to add in if you want.

Above you saw I put stars next to "Good Sugars". Good sugars are as they sound, good for you. They're unprocessed and come from mainly plants, but can also come from meat as well. Good sugars leech their energy slowly into your blood supplying constant energy,instead of all at once like you get from a candy bar or soda. Banana's are an excellent source of these good sugars. Also, they're a great source of potassium which is an electrolyte which will also help restore your energy after a workout.

In case you didn't understand before this stuff will most likely taste bad, unless you're one of the few people who actually like the taste or protein powder :eek:.

Final disclaimer: I am not a doctor, or a professional coach. I am supplying this information merely for the benefit of my fellow man. I do not own any rights to BeachBody.com, "Results and Recovery Formula", Quaker Oats, Insanity or Wal-Mart, nor do I stand to make any profit from them. You should always seek a certified doctor or coaches help before starting any intense exercise program.

If anyone has any questions or comments (including how this recipe did or did not work for you) feel free to post here or PM me.

Good luck you guys!

~ SluggySlugworth aka Will

http://www.beachbody.com/text/produ...esultsrecoveryformula/guidelines_pop_new.html
http://www.quakeroats.com/Libraries/pdf/Oatmeal_Nutrition_Facts.sflb.ashx
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...page=1&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0&tx=71&ty=30
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...page=1&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=31&ty=13

·
Registered
578 Posts
Good stuff. Lots of people fall into the trap of wasting too much money on supplements. I've been drinking this shake every morning for the last 3 years or so:

1/2 cup raw oats
1/2 cup blueberries
1/2 cup strawberries
1 scoop vanilla whey protein
2 heaping tablespoons of ground flax meal
a cup or so of water
Use a blender to get it nice and smooth.

I buy the berries frozen, then place a bowl of them in the fridge overnight so they can thaw a bit (frozen berries give me brain freeze). Sometimes I'll substitute a banana for the berries. If I'm feeling really crazy I'll throw in a handful of spinach (don't worry you can't taste it the fruit cancels out the veggy taste).

Also - for post workout, believe it or not chocolate milk works very well. This is one of the times where your body will actually benefit from a combination of sugars and proteins.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Abuse of creatine is like the abuse of anything. The furture should hold that as you age the use of small amounts of creatine will enable you to exercise better. It is a substance that the cells need, like so many other items as we age we need more or less than we do when we are young.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts