Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was passing through town and spotted three trucks in a parking lot. Attached to each truck was a large RV. One RV had a boat behind it.

With so many people working from home, and kids out of school, how many people are going to stay in a rural area? Maybe grannys house, deer camp, national park... etc.

~~ EDIT ~~

The reason why I ask is because I am seeing increased traffic around the lake I live nearby. Lots of cars, people... etc. Maybe they are out looking for food? Maybe the left home and are at the lake house?

·
Banned
11,403 Posts
Our rural area has a travel advisory on right now. It’s meaningless really, but at some point, in some states, I can see them putting up road blocks.

The real questions are, is Grandma going to risk her 70 year old self to let her strong young relatives bring her the virus?

Is sonny boy so sure no one in his house is carrying it that he will risk Grandma’s life?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have that as an option (parents farm 30 minutes from my house), but am not there yet. As I mentioned in another threat, I need the high speed interwebz for my job and my kids live in the same town just down the street at my ex's house. As such, staying local, for now. That said, I'm keeping a very close eye on the situation for if/when travel restrictions come into play. If that were to be forthcoming, I'd have to re-evaluate how long that may be in place and is it time to hit the fall back BOL at the farm.

I've got enough at my place to get by for at least two to three month (depending how much time my kids are here vs. there moms, since the food consumption goes up dramatically then). If it looks like it may be a long term thing, I'd hit the road with all my stores and head for the farm.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I really wish we could have road blocks at the couny line.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

We already have roadblocks at the county line in several countys and villages...
Local people spontanously put them up, and since there is a general travel ban, police don't dissolve them..

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Word from a friend in a very rural part, they've already been overrun by people from the urban areas of the puget sound region, acting like it's a summer vacation/camping/holiday and it's actually worse trying to get things there then here. Plumbing and power may not be able to handle that influx.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Doesnt matter were you are, breaking the quarantine just isnt a good idea. If you are in the country, stay there, same if you are anywhere else. Its about avoiding contact with people that may be sick. Moving people and joining family members that may be sick is just a terrible idea. Stay were you are and just shelter in place.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Word from a friend in a very rural part, they've already been overrun by people from the urban areas of the puget sound region, acting like it's a summer vacation/camping/holiday and it's actually worse trying to get things there then here. Plumbing and power may not be able to handle that influx.
Saw that on the news this AM. People flocking to Ocean Shores and all like they will have enough food for them. Idiots.

So far here in Lewis County we're doing ok. As of now, anyway. Feed store wasn't too bad (although the guy behind the till was in denial). Grocery stores (other than WalMart) don't seem too stressed.

If we can keep people from Sea/Tac/Oly area from heading down here we should be ok.

·
Possum Lover
15,606 Posts
I have a relative lives in another country...

She has a daughter
Daughter is autistic and difficult with it.
Only has 2 bedroom apartment
Has 3 dogs
I have cats
Nowhere to sleep.

Better off at home assuming she would even have me.

Reactions: kev

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,238 Posts
All my rural relatives are a 6 hour drive away and in spots in south Louisiana that are too close to New Orleans for me to consider it at this time.

·
Indefatigable
19,924 Posts
All but 2 family members live in Tulsa, those other 2 live in Austin. They have been self isolated and working from home for a couple of weeks. IF they need a BO they are closer to her family in W TX than ours. Everyone is prepped and in close contact by phone.
Of those of us here, we are the most "rural" it's going to get, on the outskirts of Tulsa. At some point, my in laws might be out here, but not my BIL and SIL. They are both med professionals and working their asses off. They are oncall 24/7 and have to remain within 20 min of the hospital. Worst case scenario there - we merge their small zoo with ours. My FIL is taking care of their house for now.

·
Retired kafir
17,644 Posts
I and one of my siblings are the rural ones in my family. Nobody's coming here because there's no reason to. They'll do fine right where they are. They can stay home at THEIR homes just as easily as they could at mine.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Was passing through town and spotted three trucks in a parking lot. Attached to each truck was a large RV. One RV had a boat behind it.

With so many people working from home, and kids out of school, how many people are going to stay in a rural area? Maybe grannys house, deer camp, national park... etc.

People here in small mountain towns are already getting NIMBY on the neighborhood watch pages when people are choosing to quarantine in their vacation homes out here.

“They’re eating food from our stores!”

“They’re going to be crowding our hospital!”

It could get ugly for non-locals.

·
Forward, into the fray!
3,681 Posts
I am the rural relative they will all come to. Well, semi-rural anyway but out of the city proper. My daughters have already sent their children (3 of them) to live with me because they both work in health care and their possible exposure is high. One son does a job that's hands on with the public and he has sent his kids to live with his brother who doesn't have to get within 15 feet of his customers (he's an arborist/ tree trimmer and does plans over the phone or from up in a tree).

·
Registered
9,259 Posts
I am the rural relative.

And I told everyone that they could come here and park an RV but I'm not letting them in my house or sharing supplies.

Bugging out is the opposite of what anyone should be doing at this stage, particularly if there are other people at your location.

·
Bug-In Prepper
854 Posts
We would be the rural destination for some people, but so far everyone who might come here has opted to stay at their own homes.

I'm a little relieved about that. For most crises, they'd be welcome here, but with my wife at high risk I'd rather keep this place isolated.

It's made me think about how we could prep so that if there's another outbreak, we could have people stay with us without undue risk. Some way to partition the house so that air doesn't circulate throughout would go a long way, but need to figure out how to do that so that air can circulate within each partition.

·
Registered
561 Posts
OP, I went fishing yesterday solely because I was stir crazy and wanted to get out of the house. The lake was busy yesterday and it was a terrible day for fishing/boating. Post cold front with clouds and misting rain at times. I feel like alot of people were doing the same as me.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I live on about 45 acres. Closest neighbor is 1/2 mile away. Only about 4 houses within 8 mile radius. Off grid, private well and PV system. 180 degree view of Pacific in front of me. 85.6F right now.

If SHTF, then my brother and father in law will come by. Both will bring long guns and their own food. And be in 14 days of quarantine.

:)

1 - 20 of 169 Posts