Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been stocking up on mostly canned food (have lots of dry goods in vacuum sealed mylar bags) but I have read recently that BPA is used in nearly all canned food? We do not have land to farm so we aren't able to do our own canning yet. Looking for possible alternatives.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
I'm not sure, but I think I read that this is the biggest concern with highly acidic products like tomatoes, and with cans that have been stored a very long time. I recall one poster saying that if things are to the point that his family is eating years old canned goods, he ain't much worried about some chemical that might be in the can lining.
IIRC, Nalgene changed their formula a little while back,eliminating BPA from their water bottles . Big whoop,I still use an old Nalgene bottle at work every day.:rolleyes:
If you're concerned, the obvious solution is to can your own food. You might also do a little research, it's possible that some companies have eliminated BPA from their cans since this became news.

·
I'll fix it
2,547 Posts
I'm more concerned I have dog food in my Yoder's than BPA.
I'm going to have to restock with the stuff Pleasant Hills Grain sells now.
I've read the BPA thing was over hyped anyway.

·
Registered
116 Posts
May I suggest two sites: Environmental Working Group www.ewg.org and Food & Water Watch at www.foodandwaterwatch.org Both have search engines that will give you some good information. Consumer Reports also did an article on the chemical. If you go to ewg.org and find the search box on the left, type in PBA, a page of different links/info pops up. I couln't get the link to show. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Its the stuff they had a fit about a while a go that was in baby bottles.
Yes, one in the same. The Environmental Working Group has a collection of reports and studies on it. Just type in BPA in the search box on the left side of the home screen and they will pop up. www.ewg.org another worthwhile site is www.foodandwaterwatch.org They have helped me learn quite a bit.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
I'm always concerned about any chemicals in my food. It doesn't belong there and it can't be healthy. Luckily, public pressure seems to have an effect on some of the companies. Remember Taco Bell's quick reaction to people complaining about GMO corn in tortillas and taco shells. Or the quick reaction to the Alar worries. It seems that BPA is being treated accordingly and manufacturers are beating feet to eliminate it.

Of course that doesn't help those who are already heavily invested in canned goods. But realistically, I bet BPA has been in canned goods since coating the cans first started, and it hasn't caused any major health concerns.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
I've been stocking up on mostly canned food (have lots of dry goods in vacuum sealed mylar bags) but I have read recently that BPA is used in nearly all canned food? We do not have land to farm so we aren't able to do our own canning yet. Looking for possible alternatives.
When it comes time where I have to live off my canned stores instead of just rotating, BPA will be one of the furthest things on my mind.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.