Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else mark/number/letter their mags?

That way you can tell which mags are yours at a class or at the range when there are multiple shooters. You can also start to see a problem mag if there are malfunctions.

['Wait a minute, I had a malfunction a few minutes ago with this same mag. Maybe I need to put it in the range bag and see if the problem continues.']

I was using numbers before, but letters allows you quite a few combinations after you hit triple digits in your mag pile.

I bought these red ones at half off thinking they were more of a maroon, they turned out to be a jarring nail polish red so I painted them below the mag-well.

·
PuppyMonkeyBaby
63 Posts
Wow... When I read the title I thought "I mark my mags on the floor plate so that when they are in the chest rig I just look down and see 55 gr, 62 gr HD, 69 gr, etc". You Sir have went a few steps farther.

Note* Calibrate monitor for correct color

·
Banned
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow... When I read the title I thought "I mark my mags on the floor plate so that when they are in the chest rig I just look down and see 55 gr, 62 gr HD, 69 gr, etc". You Sir have went a few steps farther.

Note* Calibrate monitor for correct color
I do that on some mags too.

Mostly different mag pouch places for different ammo though.

Just got sick of losing mags (or more accurately exchanging mags with someone else), so I figured red was pretty distinctive. Never seen anyone with red AR mags before. Only problem was it was so bright a color it was a little distracting. So I did a half and half black and red, now it doesn't bug me as much and I can tell my mags apart from everyone else's and I have a system to cull out problem mags.

I only use these mags for range/training. Nothing else.

All my other AR mags are just the usual run of colors (Teflon grey, grey, black, FDE or OD green), kind of the problem...they looked like everyone else's.

Some guys are actually stamping plates bearing their name onto their mags or taping them with a different color tape. I figured I'd just paint them a slightly different combo of colors.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Like others, I mark/number w/ paint pen. I also have used different colored electrical tape to note what type of ammo or combination I have in pre-loaded mags (ex: White = ball ammo, Green = hollow point/self defense ammo, Red=Tracer, etc.).

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
no I do not there is no need really I dont drop mags apparently like you do I retain them its too easy to grab new mag grab changed hold both and switch keep shooting and place mag in dump pouch

·
Have gun,will travel
4,538 Posts
I mark all of them with a permanent marker or paint pen. This way if I notice I have failures to feed from mag# 5, for example, I can weed it out and relegate it to range use or rebuild it. If they are unmarked, you'll have a tough time narrowing down which mag out of a batch that is causing repeated issues.

·
Banned
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no I do not there is no need really I dont drop mags apparently like you do I retain them its too easy to grab new mag grab changed hold both and switch keep shooting and place mag in dump pouch
Kind of depends.

I have a dump pouch for admin reloads, but on speed reloads they're going on the ground.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I label the mags that are in my chest rig, an army buddy showed me that to keep them straight as you replace them in your vest.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
Kind of depends.

I have a dump pouch for admin reloads, but on speed reloads they're going on the ground.
slow is smooth smooth is fast I don't have to be dale earnheart on the reload i just have to be consistent and with consistency comes speed I can retain my mag in a mag change as fast or faster than most folks speed changes and with fewer mistakes

and if im in a shootout and trying to break contact I'm not leaving my mags behind as you may not have more to replace them

·
Banned
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
slow is smooth smooth is fast I don't have to be dale earnheart on the reload i just have to be consistent and with consistency comes speed I can retain my mag in a mag change as fast or faster than most folks speed changes and with fewer mistakes

and if im in a shootout and trying to break contact I'm not leaving my mags behind as you may not have more to replace them
Speed reloads are for close contact. It's for when you need bullets in the gun *NOW* because you need to get the gun up and running in order to eliminate a threat.

Hanging onto your mag doesn't do you a whole lot of good if taking that extra second to stow your empty mag gets you shot.

Most times it's not like that so you can get away with it. However from what I understand investigators used to find spent brass and empty speed loaders in the pockets of deceased officers who were used to policing up their brass as well and who didn't dump them on the ground either.

At any rate you have your way, that's fine. If you disagree, that's cool. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

For me it still just depends on whether I retain the mag or not. I train using both speed reloads and doing admin reloads. If I can retain the mag then I will, depends on that particular drill and the range of the threat.

If I lose an AR mag a shootout and I actually manage to survive 146 shoot outs I'm WAY exceeding my own expectations.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
Speed reloads are for close contact. It's for when you need bullets in the gun *NOW* because you need to get the gun up and running in order to eliminate a threat.

Hanging onto your mag doesn't do you a whole lot of good if taking that extra second to stow your empty mag gets you shot.

Most times it's not like that so you can get away with it. However from what I understand investigators used to find spent brass and empty speed loaders in the pockets of deceased officers who were used to policing up their brass as well and who didn't dump them on the ground either.

At any rate you have your way, that's fine. If you disagree, that's cool. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

For me it still just depends on whether I retain the mag or not. I train using both speed reloads and doing admin reloads. If I can retain the mag then I will, depends on that particular drill and the range of the threat.

If I lose an AR mag a shootout and I actually manage to survive 146 shoot outs I'm WAY exceeding my own expectations.
LOL ive been in a few shootouts the thing you seem to not be getting is im not saying put away the mag first you do your mag change just hold on to the empty and after the new mag is in transfer to dump pouch

it wastes no time and with practice one can do it just as fast because your just grabbing a mag to transfer and then half a second to hold vs letting it drop

its not that slow as you think

how many shootouts have you been in just out of curiosity?

·
the "d" from ban[d]
15,520 Posts

I agree. Dropping mags do them no good.

If you have fired a full mag and still haven't make the kill speed is not going to save you.

Dropping mags just means you must retrieve them. That is going to be your biggest danger.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts