Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I'm a dummy? Don't know for sure. I'll probably make some folks mad with this post. I was just wondering if anyone else has made this observation. If you have any thread with a reference to "Raiders" (yes, I know, some believe it profane) that there is a large group of people who will dominate that thread telling you it is all Hollywood and fantasy land. I've noticed that many of these folks are the same ones who scoff at bolt action rifles and revolvers because of the low capacity for ammo and slow fire rate. I see a contradiction here.

If in a SHTF scenario there will be no raiders and only the rare hostile, why do I need 6 thirty round mags for my rifle and 3 - 16 round mags for my sidearm? I guess I am just pointing out that there is no "all knowing authority" on the subject of what will happen. Plan and prepare based on your own beliefs. You just have to be ready to accept the consequences if you make bad decisions. It really isn't so different that the way things should be now.

·
Deus exsisto laus
3,963 Posts
I happen to like old MilSurp bolt action MBR's. I have several British enfields, a couple of 98K Mausers, and a Mosin nagant. I like revolvers... I like firearms, just like I like airplanes, and cars. Personally, I'm geared more towards a Great Depression II/ economic difficulty scenario. Having said that, there are elements in our society predisposed to crime. Whether those are "raiders" like in a Mad Max movie, or rioters as we have seen recently in England or back during the LA riots, or flash mob violence, or even something so mundane as an increase in crimes against persons and personal property due to unemployment or cut off welfare checks, I like to have my bases covered. I have a wife and children that look to me as their protector. Whether I use an AK 47, a semi auto pistol , or a MiSurp bolt action depends on what I'm facing at the moment and what is in my hand at that moment. I kinda ignore the "will we all become raiders" threads for the most part anyway! TP

·
Registered
125 Posts
While I expect more of a food and shelter type problem, if anything does happen I am prepared to defend if need be. I prefer MilSurp bolt action rifles but have my semi-autos if the need arises.

·
Registered
965 Posts
yea i dont know about the whole raider thing, if its going to get that bad i dont think it would be for a long long time. I do have a nice stock of weapons and ammo with semi autos, bolt actions, and revolvers. I dont think im going to have to mow down rows of raiders but regardless of the situation its worth being able to defend urself even if its just for the peace of mind. I do think that if it gets bad though it wont matter what anyone has stocked or how theyve prepped if they have no way of protecting it. There are always going to be the type of people out there that want everything without having to do any work to get it so misewell take it from someone else who worked for it. Thats type of mentality is why i own firearms.

·
Banned
1,201 Posts
Maybe I'm a dummy?

If in a SHTF scenario there will be no raiders and only the rare hostile, why do I need 6 thirty round mags for my rifle and 3 - 16 round mags for my sidearm? I guess I am just pointing out that there is no "all knowing authority" on the subject of what will happen. Plan and prepare based on your own beliefs. You just have to be ready to accept the consequences if you make bad decisions. It really isn't so different that the way things should be now.
Look at all little SHTF events that has happened recently such as natural disasters, riots, etc. It's not even a major SHTF yet and nothing close to TEOTWAWAKI....yet you see all the knuckleheads coming out to play. Women were getting raped and crap in the shelters, etc. during Katrina. Plenty of morons are already rioting & burning sh.t up when the welfare lines aren't moving and even when their home football team, win. Imagine once a major SHTF occurs and everything shuts down in terms of food production, fuel availability, etc.

Sure, a bolt action rifle works...hell, even a single shot musket will too, but if you can afford it, why the hell would you not want at least a cheap AK-47?

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I can work the action of a bolt gun pretty dang fast, in matter of fact I would venture to say I am as proficient if not more with a rem 700 than a AR. But I am a fan of semi auto pistols versus revolvers, the main reason for this is reloading times and training (or lack there of). With that being said its just a question of tactics to be effective with any weapon.

History has shown us that rioting, looting, raping happens. It has happened and most likely will happen again when things get hairy. S***, its like this is certain parts of Africa all the time. So if you want to be ignorant and decide this isn't anything to be prepared for, then my hats off to you and I will see you in the afterlife. But you will already be there by the time I check in.

Oh, and I am one of those that have the six mags on my vest.

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
Youngin's like all that gear. Old Tymers don't like the thought of raiders. You will get the contradictions because people are at various levels of maturity here.

That's a good thing, revel in it. That kind of color is what makes this place important!

·
Banned
214 Posts
Look at all little SHTF events that has happened recently such as natural disasters, riots, etc. It's not even a major SHTF yet and nothing close to TEOTWAWAKI....yet you see all the knuckleheads coming out to play. Women were getting raped and crap in the shelters, etc. during Katrina. Plenty of morons are already rioting & burning sh.t up when the welfare lines aren't moving and even when their home football team, win. Imagine once a major SHTF occurs and everything shuts down in terms of food production, fuel availability, etc.

Sure, a bolt action rifle works...hell, even a single shot musket will too, but if you can afford it, why the hell would you not want at least a cheap AK-47?
Damn. That's a really good point that I hadn't considered.

We have literally watched riots and flash mobs happen this past week for basically no reason at all. London riots because a cop ( rightfully?) shot someone. Wisconsin State Fair black on white crime without motivation. Flash mob violence for no reason at all.

Imagine an even slightly bad situation. Lets call Katrina a " slightly bad situation" (I have nothing but sympathy for the families that lost their lives, and am in no way minimizing the hurricane. I'm from Louisiana and was personally affected.) We saw gangs in the shelters raping and beating people. We had gangs shooting at rescue workers. Looting was rampant. I read a story here or elsewhere about how the cops would basically say "if we shoot a gang banger, we will just leave the body and pretend it didn't happen."

Yes. I do worry in an even reasonably small SHTF situation there will be mobs and riots. And I will be prepared to defend my family.

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
These boards allow people to discuss potential scenarios. If there aren't any raiders, well, that's good. But if there does end up that raiders do come into play, at least it was discussed here, wasn't it? Here we discuss "the what ifs" and discuss options. I grant that some of the stuff discussed is extreme but it can also be interesting too.

·
Retired Army
5,536 Posts
Hopefully you won't but, we prepare because we don't know what it "might/will" be like. I would rather have 20, 30rd magazines and not need them then, need them and not have them. I can hunt with a 30 round semi-auto rifle if I have but, it might be hard to take on a large group of armed people with a 5/10 round bolt gun.

Be well.
Al

·
Banned
3,048 Posts
I recently asked someone who was posting that they had pleanty of arms but no food if they planned on being a raider and I was scolded so my answer is no there is nothing amiss here there are no raiders and everyone is just hunky dorey.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I'm one who doesn't believe in the "Golden horde" masses spreading out from the cities. Now small groups of armed "raiders is something different, they just won't have a long timeframe of activity.

IMHO when it comes to guns and ammo, The faster you can get more rounds ON Target the more likely you will win. Unless you are part of a group, this may be important!! A single person with a bolt action rifle going up against a group would have to be very very fast and good. If its just me between raiders and my wife and kids I would be foolish not use a good semi-auto if I could afford one.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,575 Posts
I don't make any predictions as to what's going to happen. In fact, I deeply despise those who do. But I go on my knowledge of human nature and our sick society. We have seen proof of what people can do. Just a quick look at the Rodney King riots is a clue. So is what's going on in the UK right now. So I think groups of raiders are highly likely.

Choose whatever gun you can use the most effectively. I've been a shooter and gun collector since childhood. Yet I didn't buy my first military type rifle until Klinton said he didn't want me to have one. I've been buying them ever since. I still don't care for them. But sometimes they are the right choice. For most things, I'd still reach for a bolt action. But I can see the possibility of needing the extra firepower.

·
urban *******
681 Posts
i ask a simple question on the subject of raiders a while back..........:taped:

raiders are way way back on the list of things i prep for. but they do make the list. i dont know that we all need 2 buy all the rambo gear, but i do have 6 mags and 2 ak's. i live in the middle of the country, i have a hard time thinking i will ever gear up and walk the streets. but have those preps and tools make me feel better than if i had a .22 :thumb:

in most cases i will never need some of my gear and preps..........

in my worst case events, we will have panic, theft, and maybe folks that intend to do me harm. :eek:

if we ever have a shtf event i want to have the ability and tools..... to help some folks meet God before myself.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Maybe I'm a dummy? Don't know for sure. I'll probably make some folks mad with this post. I was just wondering if anyone else has made this observation. If you have any thread with a reference to "Raiders" (yes, I know, some believe it profane) that there is a large group of people who will dominate that thread telling you it is all Hollywood and fantasy land. I've noticed that many of these folks are the same ones who scoff at bolt action rifles and revolvers because of the low capacity for ammo and slow fire rate. I see a contradiction here.

Government trolls.

The ATF is sniffing out who to raid and seize guns from.

Why do you think they want ISP's to store all internet activity?

They are gathering evidence for their court cases and warrants.

That's why they are working to repeal the 2nd Amendment.

Why does the military do domestic drills that have "militia" as the enemy?

Why do Boy and Girl Scouts teach the kids to rat out their parents' gun stashes?

Why does the government think that returning veterans are the greatest threat to America?

Use you head.

You brag, you're flagged.

·
Banned
1,201 Posts
Lets call Katrina ....We saw gangs in the shelters raping and beating people. We had gangs shooting at rescue workers. Looting was rampant.
Forgot about this extremely significant point! Yup, these gangs are the low life scumbags who had nothing to live for and nothing to lose. Pure chaos and the breakdown of society gives them an immediate step up in the Mad Maxx fashion and they reveled it....they didn't want the rescuers coming in. Granted that their power was just temporary and that law & order was going to be restored soon... when the troops with guns arrives. But this is very eye opening in form of a glimpse of what is to come should TEOTWAWAKI suddenly hits the entire USA, the rest of the world....and no one is left to help.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The "raiders" you refer to come in plenty of flavors. It doesn't matter what you call them. The term "raider" is just a more colorful, somewhat more fantasy-oriented term, but it still fits.

Looter, rapist, gang-banger....whatever you want to call them, they refer to the people that prey on others in the wake of a disaster, whether it's small or large scale, short term or long term.

However, rather than guesswork and conjecture, here are some straight facts for you:

Fact: A startling percentage of the population is not prepared for a SHTF situation. When it does hit the fan, these people will run out of what little supply they have.

Fact: The government is ill-equipped to deal with such a situation. Katrina proved this. If an even larger situation hits that knocks out order on a wider scale, chaos will reign as the government scrambles to try and maintain order. The government is focused on military spending, not disaster preparation.

Fact: People will become desparate once their limited supplies dwindle and they realize the government cannot help them. They will begin doing things they never would have considered in the name of survival, and for many, this will include preying on other people.

Fact: People with similar motives and methods (such as robbing, raiding, looting, etc) tend to group together. This will be no different in a SHTF scenario, and then you will end up with literal bands of raiders that search for people to prey on, knowing their combined numbers increases their chance of success.

We prepare for what is possible, not what we believe to be most probable. I will "probably" live to a ripe old age in a stable country with utilities and infrastructure intact, but I prepare for the remote possibility that I will not.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Government trolls.

The ATF is sniffing out who to raid and seize guns from.

Why do you think they want ISP's to store all internet activity?

They are gathering evidence for their court cases and warrants.

That's why they are working to repeal the 2nd Amendment.

Why does the military do domestic drills that have "militia" as the enemy?

Why do Boy and Girl Scouts teach the kids to rat out their parents' gun stashes?

Why does the government think that returning veterans are the greatest threat to America?

Use you head.

You brag, you're flagged.
On what do you base "Why do Boy and Girl Scouts teach the kids to rat out their parent's gun stashes?" Its news to me.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts