Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only recently sort of stumbled onto the idea of survival ism. I'm also graduating college in the spring. I've been studying finance and economics so I assume the future will be bleak. I'm only mildly prepared at best if anything were to happen, but I'm a member of the national guard. I'm wondering if there is even any point for me to do much else? I have all kinds of gear on hand(army's stuff, but in my possession), personal weapon (.40 pistol), box of MRE's in the trunk, decent bushcraft skills, etc..you get the idea. If anything were to happen I would likely be put on orders so i wouldn't be able to access anything i had planned and would likely be provided for anyway... I'm only 22 and don't own any land so I'm not talking about bugging out to some planned retreat, not at this point in my life. Right now though, would you do anything in my situation?

·
STALKER Unit Mobile
183 Posts
Welcome to the forums USCG for me actually IVe been a survivalist for actually a few years now but I just joined the forums not too long ago. Where are you stationed?

·
"Fast Mover"
236 Posts
When that fan high in the sky takes the crap slap, I'm sure you'll get orders in about 12 hours, when your unit is gearing up to head out, you need to be a good little "Joe" and load yourself up a Stryker (load that baby down) and roll out to a pre-disclosed location. If you don't have Strykers a Humvee will do, but make sure you turn off the FBCB2. lol

What sate are you located?

Pointblank
11B

·
Good Bye
1,808 Posts
Ex military here. Army from 2002-2005. Served with the 101st.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Im in the delayed entry program of the Marine corps leaving for boot camp Dec 15. Pretty much the same situation I would like to start prepping but im only 18 and even when out of bootcamp I will be active duty and accounted for anyway. So basically im just hoping everything doesn't go to crap until 5 years from now when im out and have some property of my own. But still im 4 years on 4 years off so if they call for a draft after TSHTF im the first to go back.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey thanks for the replies everyone. i'm located in indiana. 11B, air assault!...actually I'll be commissioning as a LT here in a few months, no more infantry for me, signal corps from here on out. although being a 240B gunner was quite fun. no deployments for me yet.

oh and i wish we had strykers. i've only been around them at training events, but they're pretty impressive. we have bradley's in my current unit, but they're reorganizing to light and i'm leaving them soon anyway. dunno what we'll have over in the signal co. although the co i'm going to is attached to a surveillance brigade so that should be fun.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Current Marine here, somewhat similar situation. I got recalled from my "4 off" time for another year of fun in the sand, but I'll be heading home soon and picking up where I left off.

IMO, the best thing for you do to now is to "stock up" on skills and knowledge. As long as you are in the military, you will automatically be better off than the average Joe (as far as supplies, weapons and people to take firewatch at 3 am!) So RIGHT NOW learn as much as you can, and develop those things that cannot be taken away, stolen or lost.

After you get out, if the defecation has not yet hit the air-circulation device you can really worry about "stuff you have", but for now focus on "stuff you know". As an added bonus, most military leadership will look favorably on your new studies (like wilderness survival, urban combat, etc...) and in my experience "self improvement" really ranks up there in reasons to get a promotion!

·
Forever Vigilant
2,260 Posts
As an officer, you are going to make plenty of $$ to put back for some land, guns (get your own), ammo (get your own), equipment, and stores. Get a storage facility near your base and start stocking it as you get the time and money. There is never a better time to start than NOW.

Learn as much as you can while in the military. Take as many classes as they will allow you to take. Improve your skills.

Also, thank you to all current serving military and veterans. My family and I very much appreciate your service. I am a disabled vet from the daddy Bush era.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Arkansas National Guard here, currently preparing on returning home as I type this, packing and moving to tent city to allow the new units to move in.

Been in for 5 years now, and thinking about trying to stay in as long as I can, just depends on how jacked up everything gets within the next year.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Howdy from NC

Ex-Army SF here. Welcome, I am new to this site myself. All I can say is, make the best of what you have, have a backup plan incase the SHTF, and stake out a place to hunker down and defend yourself. Check out this site real well, great stuff going on in here

·
Destroyer of Marxism.
875 Posts
Can't really add any good advice, but I'm a 45B from 36thID, and OIFIII vet. At least you see the train coming, and you're ready to get out of the way.

·
Banned
156 Posts
I am stationed out in Kaneohe Bay Hawaii, USMC 3 and a half years in. Only about six months or so down. I am more of a reader of this site than a poster. I do have some things stocked back home from before I left.

What I have found to be important is...
Guns and Ammo
Some sort of long life storage such as rice in buckets
Starting a grarden in the back yard
Bought land in Sounthern MO.
MRE's even though getting sick of them on excersises
Working on getting a well in the back of my land and small house on property.

If you can get started with some basics like that who knows even if you are called back for a year or more you will have enough money when you come home to do what you want to. Build back up from when you were gone, till the ground plant more. On and on..
Prepair while you are in, sending boxes of free mre's back home if you can get them, I have sent home some random adrift gear that I have found laying about that no one claimed. Nothing bad just not accounted for.

·
Banned
156 Posts
Can't really add any good advice, but I'm a 45B from 36thID, and OIFIII vet. At least you see the train coming, and you're ready to get out of the way.
A 45B huh? good old Armorer I know, I am a 2111 in the Corps.
Maryland, you got to love aberdeen (ha)
Good to know I have a fellow gun nut here.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Ex-Army SF here. Welcome, I am new to this site myself. All I can say is, make the best of what you have, have a backup plan incase the SHTF, and stake out a place to hunker down and defend yourself. Check out this site real well, great stuff going on in here
When were you SF ?

11B3S

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
actually I'll be commissioning as a LT here in a few months, no more infantry for me, signal corps from here on out. dunno what we'll have over in the signal co. although the co i'm going to is attached to a surveillance brigade so that should be fun.
I started as Infantry (11C) back in '88; still active duty and was commissioned as a Signal Officer. It's been a joy ride and I was a little ticked at first (wanted Infantry), but I really can't complain; several BTDT T-shirts, deployments and some great units and jobs. Best advice is stay tactical and stay with combat arms (maneuver S6). Get plugged into tactical communications, especially HF (Harris) including field expedient antenna's, wave propagation and the rest of the theory...excellent for amateur radio use.

When you head to your Signal Basic Course (now known as BOLC Phase III), shoot me your time frame, I may be back there soon.

The Army has really changed a lot over the past 20 years and training has been exceptional. Even as an Officer, you need plenty of trigger time, CLS certified and continue pushing basic "shoot, move and communicate" training. Don't get caught up in the digital geek fest...plenty of them out there, you are a leader and warrior skills must come first.

Best news about Signal...you'll always have NIPR (internet) access and phone access; great assets to take care of your Soldiers and the other Warfighters.

Any other questions, PM me and I'll shoot you my AKO...

ROCK6

·
bad grammar deal with it
452 Posts
hey thanks for the replies everyone. i'm located in indiana. 11B, air assault!...actually I'll be commissioning as a LT here in a few months, no more infantry for me, signal corps from here on out. although being a 240B gunner was quite fun. no deployments for me yet.

oh and i wish we had strykers. i've only been around them at training events, but they're pretty impressive. we have bradley's in my current unit, but they're reorganizing to light and i'm leaving them soon anyway. dunno what we'll have over in the signal co. although the co i'm going to is attached to a surveillance brigade so that should be fun.
it really depends if you were going active i would be able to say more than likely youll be with a special troops battalion. my last brigade was heavy so we had abrams and brads. now im with the division stb and we got nothing.

do me a favor when you get commissioned dont act like you know everything go in with an open mind and observe how the soldiers get their tasks done. nothing is more irritating than having a new butter bar come into the unit and think he/she is gods gift to *the appropriate branch located here* if you sense im speaking currently of situations which relate to myself you would be 120 percent correct.....stupid butter bars. oh btw im out on mission now(im a signal soldier) and we have currently 3 xbox's hooked up and play daily youll enjoy it lol.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts