Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been researching shotguns for awhile and think I really like the Beretta 1301 tactical. I had originally looked at the Mossberg 590A1 but can't find one locally. I also looked at the Benelli M4 but that'll run about $2k, even though it looks indestructable. The Beretta, however, looks like a contender with the Benelli and is slightly cheaper. I like that you can swap out the buttstock with a Magpul stock, and that it appears to be built pretty well. In a self defense scenario the semi-auto shotgun has become more and more appealing to me.

Anyone here own a Beretta 1301 tactical? Any opinions or general comments about your experience with it?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shotguns I have within 10ft of me, right now:

Benelli M2
Benelli M4
Remington 870
Remington V3 Tactical
Remington 1187
Mossberg 930
Beretta 1301T

I have a Mossberg 590A1 at home. I have several thousand rounds through each of the above, with the exception of the 930, because it constantly malfunctions. Of them all, in my opinion, the 1301T is the shotgun to beat.

It runs everything - low-recoil, half-shells, breaching rounds, slugs, #1, #4, and 00 buck, birdshot with no problems. Bean bag rounds must be hand-cycled. None of the other semis will do that. It is very customizable, with accessories from Aridus Industries and Briley, and very fast/easy to shoot.
Do you like the Beretta more than the Benelli M4? I've seen tons of videos comparing the two with pros and cons for each. But, the M4 seems like the go to shotgun for a lot of people because the military uses them. One of the reviews i've read stated the M4 is a couple of pounds heavier, which i'm sure is beneficial

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The 590A1 is my overall fave for pumps, although at ABSURD cost these days when you can find it. Pssst....here's a secret.....you can get basically all of the important features on the top line 590, including the mandatory ghost ring sights and 8+1 capacity at Academy......for $429, was $399 last Fall. Don't tell anyone.... ;)
The 590A1 was my first choice but like you said, the price is absurd for what you get. Before the pandemic I think the 590A1 was in the $500-700 range, but now it's $1000+. There's no way i'm paying $1000 for a pump shotgun which is why I went down the rabbit hole of semi-autos

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I saw a 590A1 sell for ~$1800 on gunbroker last year, and some people are still asking up to $1300 for them!

You've seen the photo of a gate with no fence around it, but all the sheep follow the one in front through the gate? Same idea for panic buyers spending 5X what a gun or ammo is worth in a time of "panic".

And then they don't even bother to train with their new prize or even keep their bodies in good enough shape to fight anyway..... 🤓
Any item is worth what one is willing to pay. You have to remember that those of us that know what the cost of guns/ammo used to be can't realistically expect to pay normal prices for some of these things anymore. Also, there were millions of new gun buyers in 2020 who flocked to the stores to get guns & ammo because of the riots and spike in crime. Would I overpay for a firearm? No. Would I overpay for ammo? I did overpay for ammo when it was hard to find and i'm still overpaying for ammo when I go to my LGS. My LGS is currently charging $0.47 on the low end per round of 5.56. Compare that to the last year or two when it hovered around the $0.75/round mark.

With that said, I don't fault new gun buyers for overpaying because for them it's about having that piece of mind. Of course, there are extreme cases where the value of item X goes up exponentially because of supply/demand. I haven't seen many 590A1's outside of gunbroker.com, so there are some who are willing to pay a premium. If i'm going to pay a premium for a shotgun (or any gun for that matter) it better be special or very rare. This is why I started looking at semi-auto shotguns like the Beretta. I'm sure there are plenty of brands out there selling acceptable semi-autos for less than a Beretta 1301, but in my case, I want something that's rock solid and worth the price tag. But 'worth' is a subjective term. $1300/1400 is worth it to me for a Beretta 1301. $1300 is not worth it to me for a pump 590A1.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Before I buy any moderately expensive to expensive item, I always check at least 4-5 different vendors to see what pricing is possible if you look. That's why I am so amazed that people bid on gunbroker as if there is no other place on the entire internetz to buy a 590! o_O
I do the same. My local Scheels will price match so it’s an easy discount if I can get it

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I went to Scheels today and handled both the Benelli M4 and Beretta 1301 tactical. Both are impressive guns for sure. If money were no object I’d get both but since the Beretta is slightly more affordable I’m definitely putting that on the top of my to buy list. Plus, the Beretta was noticeably lighter which for me makes a difference.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Quick thought - what kills any shotgun is the add-ons; sidesaddles, velcro strip holders, speed-feed stock, ammo on the folding stock - oh, and the 50 shell sling/bandolier. These combine to make the gin heavy and unwieldy - the opposites of what a close-range/low capacity gun needs. My only add-on if needed is a flashlight under the barrel, and then only for four-legged critter encounters.
i’d say the added weight is inconsequential. If I’m running a defensive shotgun I’d want to make sure I have extra ammo on hand just in case. 5+1 or even 7+1 in the chamber doesn’t exactly make me feel secure compared to an ar15 with 30 rd mag or even a pistol with a 15 rd magazine

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
@Disturbed70

Is your 1301 the gen 1 with the Nordic Comp tube extension? From what I can tell, the 1301 tactical I’ve looked at at Scheels is the Gen 2 and is 922r compliant. It already has the tube extension installed, although I don’t know if the quality is good. Guess it doesn’t matter since it’ll run 7+1

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Nice setup. I want to do something very similar.
can you help us understand if it already had a factory extension why you switched that out for the Nordic?
i’m curious as well. Is the Nordic made with better materials? When I handled the 1301 at Scheels the tube extension appeared to be made out of plastic. Not sure if that even matters.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I lost interest in Mossberg after I couldn’t find the 590A1. I realize the pandemic caused supply chain issues but I’ve since moved on. I’m sure you can get the 590A1 on gunbroker but at Beretta 1301 prices.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts