Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
-
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Living in Southern California, water is a big concern. One thing that Southern California does have plenty of are swimming pools. Does anyone have ideas or expertise on making pool water drinkable taking into consideration that the pool will be treated with chemicals and/or the pool water cold be sitting untended with algae and other growth.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
The dogs seem to like drinking out of it. A quick glance at some internet posts on this subject most say that a charcoal filter is all that is needed. But of course you can't believe everything online.

In a matter of months though those pools if left unmaintained are going to contain mostly rain water with the pool chemicals lost to the UV exposure. So at some point in time pulling water from those pools really won't be any different than pulling water from a pond with the same protocols applicable. A quick PH test of the water might be advisable. If the PH is neutral and the pool has sat unattended for several months I can't think of a reason why it couldn't be boiled and then filtered for consumption.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Living in Southern California, water is a big concern. One thing that Southern California does have plenty of are swimming pools. Does anyone have ideas or expertise on making pool water drinkable taking into consideration that the pool will be treated with chemicals and/or the pool water cold be sitting untended with algae and other growth.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have.
Pool water has to have a PH of 7.2-7.6 and a Chlorine level of 1.0-3.0ppm,,, tap water can range between 7.0 and 8.4(my observations) in different areas and most chlorine levels are below 0.5ppm. Chlorine levels in pool water decreases due to bather load, sunlight and Ph level. The chemicals used to treat pools are safe at proper levels as far as an unattended pool that has turned green I would treat it as any other body of water, boil and sterilize.
As a far as a concern of taking a drink out of a running pool, think of how many time you have or seen other get a mouthful and lived. Would stick to commercial pools first though they are the ones regulated. For everyone a simple water test kit can be bought for less than $10, and at the ph and chlorine levels I first stated most bacteria and viruses will not survive.
Just for information I am a CPO.

·
Banned
212 Posts
I would think that boiling water will take care of almost everything it could have. Chlorine boils off at silly low temps and I suspect most of the other chemicals would do similarly. Look them up on Wikipedia. The boiling points of the chemicals are listed in the sidebar.

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
I've ingested my share of pool water over the years with no ill effects,..
I would think that the usual precautions for treating water would work.
Boiling, purification tablets, filters, etc.
One thing that concerns me when treating/using water is the little 'critters' that live in there. That's why I over-treat water. I takes nooo chances. lol

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
In a pinch, I think you could rig up some solar stills with some buckets and cellophane, and just distill fresh,clean water, leaving the chemicals and critters behind.

·
Banned
212 Posts
In a pinch, I think you could rig up some solar stills with some buckets and cellophane, and just distill fresh,clean water, leaving the chemicals and critters behind.
You'd have to get rid of the head and tail I think. Some of those chemicals will boil off at little over room temp. You wouldn't be getting rid of them if you collected the first batch. Getting rid of the tail is just good sense as at the end who knows what is evaporating with the last of the water.

·
Registered
630 Posts
One of the things that you are forgetting is the plasters and cements that a pool is made out of and that they can leach heavy metals and other chemicals into that water, i would filter the water as best as i can and then try to distill it just to be safe as possible, you would be fine then.

·
˙ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsn
821 Posts
One of the things that you are forgetting is the plasters and cements that a pool is made out of and that they can leach heavy metals and other chemicals into that water, i would filter the water as best as i can and then try to distill it just to be safe as possible, you would be fine then.
I was just going to mention heavy metals. I live in Phoenix where it is pools galore. My dad had problems with his pool and he had the water tested and they said it had too many heavy metals in it and he would have to drain and refill.
How that would affect a person drinking it, I dont know.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I can't be sure of it right now, but I think my MSR Waterworks specifically said that it would filter chlorine out of water.

And the chlorine in pools is just bleach right? I'm not sure I'd want to boil bleach....

·
Anyone?
3,673 Posts
Berkey filter.

They're able to take water from a puddle and make it potable, so why not pool water?
I think they're used in a lot of 3rd world relief programs, peace corps etc.

·
Leave Me Alone !
907 Posts
The chlorine will kill the germs and bateria for the most part. I have one suggestion for you. The Big Stainless Steel Berkey with the Black Filters. It will remove the chlorine and any other bad stuff that happens to be in the pool. I have a friend that tried it with his Berkey and he keeps his pool ready all year long, but covers it in the winter.

·
Banned
1,349 Posts
ive done some research on this since where i live every other house has a pool. that, and ive seen/heard some interesting myths about pools in shtf situations.

drinking clean pool water in small quantities is ok, however this doesnt mean its safe to use as a water source. there are some chemicals used to treat pool water that when boiled change their basic chemical structure to become MORE toxic to human physiology. some things people add to pool water are sanitizers like chlorine, baquacil, and bromine, amongst others. other chemicals are used for maintenance such as salt, algicides, anti-foaming agents, sequestering agents, party additives like bubbles and colors, as well as so many other chemicals i cant even remember them all. the liquid chlorine used in pools is the same as household bleach except it is twice as concentrated. there are other types of chlorine that can be used such as the slow-release tablets. all pools arent sanitized by chlorine and can contain other chemicals but regardless chlorine does not kill 100% of germs in pool water. a few days after loss of power or maintenance neglect the pool will become an algae infested cesspool that attracts all sorts of local wildlife. in summary, pool water can potentially be more hazardous to your health than any other 'natural' water source, although if the alternative was dehydrating there isnt much choice. where i live a hole dug 6 feet or so gives you all the water you can drink. pool water would just be used for toilet flushing or firefighting.

just because commercial pools are supposedly better regulated that does NOT mean they are safer or the water is any cleaner or better. more often than not the opposite is true.

there are no heavy metals of consequence in the pool plaster itself however metals from various metal-containing components of the pool, such as the plumbing system, pump, heater, solar panels, etc, can contribute to the presence of metals in the water. other sources of metals are the water originally used to fill the pool and various chemicals added for maintenance, such as copper-containing algecides. the thing with metals in pool water is they never come out regardless of age or filtration technique and over time accumulate in the water. there are additives that are used in pools to keep these metals in suspension to prevent their precipitating out and causing problems. as was previously mentioned the only way to get metals out of pool water is to dispose of it and refill the pool with metal-free water.

@woodyga...30k gallon pool? damn, do you go jetskiing in that thing?

·
Banned
12,043 Posts
I know it good to be careful but people act like all water will kill ya. If that's so how has the human race survived for the last 10,000 years lol.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts