Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a .22 and a 12 ga single shot, however if I'm hunkered down at the house with the family( my parents live close by) I really don't want to go shooting up the suburbs, for fear of getting my stuff confiscated. So I've been looking at other options, mostly an airgun. Bow might be something I look at down the line.

I had a friend that had a .22 airgun growing up(out of china I think). In just poking around one of my favorite weapon sites I see the typical .177 , .20, .22 seem to be common any advantage disadvantage to a caliber? I know .177 is at any big box store...which I guess is good. Any opinions on manufacturers of airguns is also welcome. Air gun seems like it'd make a decent squirrel/bunny foo foo killer without drawing much attention to me. In an ideal world I'd use the .22 lr, but never know might need another option.

·
not a nut
1,629 Posts

·
Banned
6,670 Posts
In my opinion, there is no reason whatsoever to own an air gun over a 22lr rifle for hunting. If you want a quite, lighter round, use 22 shorts in your 22lr rifle. They're about as loud as an air gun and you get vastly superior ballistic performance.

A 22 short round will kill a pigeon or a squirrel but hardly destroy the meat if you are after small game hunting.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have a .22 cal air rifle for small game hunting just anther option fo me or family...... I can get 1000 rounds for 10 bucks! Thats alot of bunny's and birds for the pot pretty cheap.

·
Go to guy
661 Posts
As far as the Crossman pistol goes it does work great and is accurate with bb's as well as pellets. I had one for about 20 years and loved it. Just recently got rid of it.

·
V
21,713 Posts
If you use the search engine theres several posts covering this already including a video of some urban hunting (some guys in eastern europe in a city hunting crow) using an air rifle which I dont think you could pull off using a 22lr rifle :thumb:

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I own a .22 and a 12 ga single shot, however if I'm hunkered down at the house with the family( my parents live close by) I really don't want to go shooting up the suburbs, for fear of getting my stuff confiscated. So I've been looking at other options, mostly an airgun. Bow might be something I look at down the line.

I had a friend that had a .22 airgun growing up(out of china I think). In just poking around one of my favorite weapon sites I see the typical .177 , .20, .22 seem to be common any advantage disadvantage to a caliber? I know .177 is at any big box store...which I guess is good. Any opinions on manufacturers of airguns is also welcome. Air gun seems like it'd make a decent squirrel/bunny foo foo killer without drawing much attention to me. In an ideal world I'd use the .22 lr, but never know might need another option.
I would use my .22 airgun for hunting if my life depended on it. But when it doesn't I'd rather use it for target practice and plinking.
I would trust it to kill my food in an emergency though.

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
you know it would be really easy to cast new BB's from a mold so as long as you have metel you have ammo. k now i'll be buy'n a BB gun soon

·
Banned
6,670 Posts
If you use the search engine theres several posts covering this already including a video of some urban hunting (some guys in eastern europe in a city hunting crow) using an air rifle which I dont think you could pull off using a 22lr rifle :thumb:
22 shorts in a 22lr rifle sound about as loud as a powerful air gun and due to nature of the bullet, they don't over penetrate. I've shoot pigeons with 22 shorts and the bullet didn't come out the other side. I'd say crows are pretty safe.

·
Registered
447 Posts
i've killed squirrels with a .177 air gun, i forget what brand it was but you just had to pump it 10 times and shoot it. The shot wasn't that loud but it made alot of racket when pumped it up.

·
Behind Enemy Lines
776 Posts
i've killed squirrels with a .177 air gun, i forget what brand it was but you just had to pump it 10 times and shoot it. The shot wasn't that loud but it made alot of racket when pumped it up.
My crosman 2100 you pump up to 10 times.
The creaking is louder than the shot itself lol

but I usually have it pre-pumped with ssafety on and pointing up.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
I'll stick with my 22 and CB Longs. That way I'm not using resources i could be using on extra 22 ammo, food, etc. I've seen some of those air guns go for $300 +.

Reactions: Slowrid-Der

·
Preparing...
1,302 Posts
I've got a .22 which is a good size anything smaller doesn't pack enough punch to kill anything that big.
Most important is the power of the thing. Ive got a 12 ftlb which is as powerfull as you can get over here. Don't get less than 10ftlb or you wont kill the animal.
But most important is to get a really good scope this make all the difference not a pencil scope but a real good one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts