Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I see are boxed instant potatoes now, but we used to be able to buy them in a can. Anyone able to purchase some at their supermarket without special ordering through Honeyville or one of the dried food places?

·
Forever Vigilant
2,260 Posts
Brookshires has a #10 plastic can of instant potatoes with the other #10 cans and jars of bulk stuff. $9.49 if I remember correctly.

·
Last of the First Line
864 Posts
Check for a restaurant supply store in your area (Edit: search for "foodservice supply" or just "foodservice".)

I know there's one near where I live that'll let the public buy from them - cash and carry style. You can get all kinds of good stuff that the supermarket-shopping public will usually never see.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I have bought #10 cans of instant mashed potato's at Costco.
Besides the milk, water and butter , add a little white pepper to give them some life.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Cash & Carry, a bulk food store here sells em in a #10.

I prefer the pouches as all they need are hot water. No margarine or butter to add and many different flavors. One packet is big enough for the wife and I if we have another dish to go with it. Also they fit nice in my patrol pack. On the negative side they don't have the shelf life of a #10. Can't have everything.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My local Shop-N-Kart has them, along with #10 cans of chocolate pudding and sauerkraut. I think that they are regional though.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Canned mash potatoes? Why not just get a bunch of tasty seed quality potatoes. Then you can make your own mashed potatoes and can grow practically an endless supply of new ones to replenish your stores.

Also sauerkraut is extremely easy to make. You just need a big jar or pot, cabbage and some sea salt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts