Survivalist Forum banner

61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts

My son shooting my Remington 700. Traded another rifle for this one and it is my favorite to shoot. Magpul hunter stock with a nice Timney trigger.

·
Tire Biter
496 Posts

This is my oldest son at about 11 yrs old, shooting my Winchester 94/22m. The rifle was given to me by a Pearl Harbor/ Midway vet, and is one 0f my most prized possessions. My boy turned 18 this week and I gave it to him as a birthday present.

·
Retired Army
5,999 Posts
This will be a little more serious attempt to get myself into the precision world. A move that may well end up costing me more money I could (and probably should) be putting into my Jeep build...

New Magpul Hunter stock on the .243 Remington 700. I got this rifle used in a Boyd's stock. Pretty, but no pillars or bedding block, and just a tiny bit of glass bedding around the recoil lug. Although an "el-cheapo" by precision stock standards, I'm kinda on a budget. The Magpul Hunter seems pretty comfy, and it does check most of the same boxes as the $900+ custom stocks do, including having an aluminium bedding block built into it. The scope is a Nikon M-Tactical .308 4-16x42SF BDC 800. I have a Chrono on the way, so once I can get out shooting again, I'll be able to make some ballistic tables in MOA to match the turrets. Also, I can choose my caliber, and ammo load in Nikon's "Spot on" app to go with the BDC reticle as well.

·
Registered
729 Posts

Built this FTR rifle for my son at 18 for Graduation. At this point he had been competing on a regular basis for 5 years and did well. Moving forward, went to F class Nationals and following year he won Long Range FTR State Championship with this rifle among many other regional wins. Very pleased. Great kid and great shooter!

·
Registered
729 Posts

Built this FTR rifle for my son at 18 for Graduation. At this point he had been competing on a regular basis for 5 years and did well. Moving forward, went to F class Nationals and following year he won Long Range FTR State Championship with this rifle among many other regional wins. Very pleased. Great kid and great shooter!

·
Registered
885 Posts
PHP:
As an Enfield rifle owner (like my late father/his a No.3 Mk.I) I love what you've done with yours. Though the military collectors, purists, and "tacticals" will scoff at bastardizing a historic piece and/or investing in such modifications to what may be a hundred year old rifle I consider your example exceptional.

My question, the most important one, is how does it shoot?

·
Retired Army
5,999 Posts
PHP:
As an Enfield rifle owner (like my late father/his a No.3 Mk.I) I love what you've done with yours. Though the military collectors, purists, and "tacticals" will scoff at bastardizing a historic piece and/or investing in such modifications to what may be a hundred year old rifle I consider your example exceptional.

My question, the most important one, is how does it shoot?
Best group was just over 2". She was doing an average of just under 3". She has a red dot on her now, and the scout scope is going on a Spanish Mauser.

·
Swirl Herder
3,627 Posts
Best group was just over 2". She was doing an average of just under 3". She has a red dot on her now, and the scout scope is going on a Spanish Mauser.
If you reload (or know someone who does), try the Sierra 174gn HPBT Match over about 44 grains of H4350.

That load outshoots pretty much all factory 303 ammo by quite a margin......

·
Registered
885 Posts
I don't... but I could look around. There are handloaders that frequent the gunshows...

I just bought a vintage Lee Classic Hand Loader in the original box for the .303 British cartridge at a country auction, cost me a whopping $5, I spent an additional $7 on a new powder measure/scoop (needed because of newer powders) and a $1 on a new Lee powder data chart for the aforementioned cartridge. A huge deal seeing as new the set costs from $49-$60+ when available.

Next will be a budget Lyman digital scale @ $22, powder, large rifle primers, and of course bullets, 174gr boattails, if I can get them (all from Midway).

·
Registered
763 Posts

Brand new unfired Enfield No4mk2. Was built in 55 as an RAF contract rifle. Never issued, build alongside Irish contract rifles.
Got it for 1200. A legend in the local shooting community passed away and I got it as an estate rifle from his wife. Private sale, very hush hush, she doesn’t want people showing up to look at her deceased husbands firearms. Because of who it belonged to and what it is and the condition it’s in, it’s probably my most prized rifle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Retired Army
5,999 Posts

Brand new unfired Enfield No4mk2. Was built in 55 as an RAF contract rifle. Never issued, build alongside Irish contract rifles.
Got it for 1200. A legend in the local shooting community passed away and I got it as an estate rifle from his wife. Private sale, very hush hush, she doesn’t want people showing up to look at her deceased husbands firearms. Because of who it belonged to and what it is and the condition it’s in, it’s probably my most prized rifle

You a collector, or are you gonna take it out and shoot it?

I couldn't have that, and not take it out, and shoot it...
I don't believe in having things just for the sake of investment...

·
Registered
763 Posts
You a collector, or are you gonna take it out and shoot it?

I couldn't have that, and not take it out, and shoot it...
I don't believe in having things just for the sake of investment...

Well I have no intentions on selling it. And I’m dying to shoot it to be honest. But John held onto it for all these years and didn’t shoot it. Plus I have plenty of other rifles to shoot. So I really have no idea.. I’d love to put it through the paces and see what a new Enfield barrel can do but in truth I’m 50/50 on whether or not to actually shoot it. She’s just begging for it though

·
Registered
763 Posts
Yeah I think I just might. Tomorrow I’m heading out into the back field to zero in the new Sako S20. Perhaps I’ll bring the Enfield along too.

61 - 80 of 97 Posts