Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know talking about .223 for SHTF is wrong. I thought that perhaps lower pressure levels might extend the life of the AR. Is there any .223 ammo out there worthy of complimenting a 5.56 stockpile?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Wherever did you get .223 is wrong for TSHTF?

Any .223/5.56 will work and be just fine. It will be to your benefit to determine if your AR hates steel-cased ammo as that is the only thing I can think of avoiding if your AR has problems.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Wherever did you get .223 is wrong for TSHTF?

Any .223/5.56 will work and be just fine. It will be to your benefit to determine if your AR hates steel-cased ammo as that is the only thing I can think of avoiding if your AR has problems.
I think he's specifically wanting .223 pressure ammo not 5.56.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm actually just about to buy an AK. Ammo is cheaper and more available in many cases.

I was dead set on an AR for years until just recently. I believe it will be a less finicky more reliable firearm in the long run as well.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn't get too caught up in the details of particular ammo loads. Yes, some are certainly better than others, but if you can find 223 at a price you can afford I think you are better off with more of a stockpile then less of one. As time goes on you can hopefully afford to go deep with the good stuff, but don't feel bad if all you can justify right now is the cheaper loads.

Of course, loading your own solves that issue as well. ;-)

·
Fenced In
3,383 Posts
Try a few different brands and weights for consistency, and based on the results, buy more of the ammo you can afford to practice with AND set aside for special occasions. There are variations in velocity and accuracy from one brand to the next, so if you find one you're happy with and can afford to buy in the quantities you desire, that is as good a plan as any. Personally, I've been trying to take advantage of the decrease in prices and increase in availability over the past few months, sticking with just a couple of brands that have proven reliable for me across multiple guns.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
If your gun is in spec then the difference in 5.56 vs 223 pressures on wear should be minimal. I honestly wouldn't worry about it. Just keep some spare parts. The AR system as a whole has a pretty reasonable service life if you replace the barrel, springs, and bolt. Plus maybe a few more small parts.

Stockpile the 1000 rounds of good defensive ammo and then start stacking the practice stuff deep.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
I'm actually just about to buy an AK. Ammo is cheaper and more available in many cases.

I was dead set on an AR for years until just recently. I believe it will be a less finicky more reliable firearm in the long run as well.
Taken well care of and sorted out before hand either will be reliable in the long run. You can get poor examples of either. I don't think "finicky more reliable" should be used in choice. I did choose a WASR AK. Mostly because I used it for feral hogs and needed the Short Russian .30 cal. If they were not a factor in my choice, either a AR or AK would have done service well, IF I did my part.

·
Registered
554 Posts

Maybe I read this wrong, but it has taken you years just to decide what to buy and you still have neither?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts

What in the world does this have to do with this thread in any way?:confused: There is no ammo on earth that is more readily available than .223/5.56 at this moment and if you're buying craptastic steel cased they are virtually the exact same price. .02

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I know talking about .223 for SHTF is wrong. I thought that perhaps lower pressure levels might extend the life of the AR. Is there any .223 ammo out there worthy of complimenting a 5.56 stockpile?
I've reloaded ammo for decades and your thought process has validity. Lower pressures equate to less physical stress on any firearm. And experienced reloaders understand brass stretches less when pressures are reduced...keeping the most expensive component of a cartridge useable longer. I never have loaded ammo to max powder/pressure levels and still have semi auto brass that is useable even with many nicks/marks on the rims from extractors. Barrel erosion is also reduced with decreased powder/pressures.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
I've reloaded ammo for decades and your thought process has validity. Lower pressures equate to less physical stress on any firearm. And experienced reloaders understand brass stretches less when pressures are reduced...keeping the most expensive component of a cartridge useable longer. I never have loaded ammo to max powder/pressure levels and still have semi auto brass that is useable even with many nicks/marks on the rims from extractors. Barrel erosion is also reduced with decreased powder/pressures.
But again, what is his purpose? Reloading or survival in a possible SHTF firefight? Would he wear out the barrel before he was compost? Use the best tools for the job. What would a snake eater want to use in a fight? In a firefight you need every advantage you can get. As I said above

"Perhaps using the best will/might keep you alive and the other guy.......not. "

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
But again, what is his purpose? Reloading or survival in a possible SHTF firefight? Would he wear out the barrel before he was compost? Use the best tools for the job. What would a snake eater want to use in a fight? In a firefight you need every advantage you can get. As I said above

"Perhaps using the best will/might keep you alive and the other guy.......not. "
How long would the average person survive in a firefight? In a typical dwelling where it doesn't matter what rifle caliber...or pressure level of the ammo...as the rounds will slice right on through...doesn't matter....pressure reduced by say 10%...or proof pressure loads. Most SHTF scenarios involve conserving ammo...parts may not be available. Lower pressure ammo extends the life of firearms...all firearms...any firearm. Reloading has a lot of merit for typical SHTF scenarios...such as ammo not being available...period. Recent memory suggests...this is a real concern...golden hordes...not so much.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
For SHTF ammo get the best you can. Its not like practice. You want what you are shooting at to stop being a threat right away. One well placed shot is better then 200 misses.
Do you practice with different ammo than what you consider SHTF ammo?

·
present and accounted for
4,086 Posts
I just bought some PRVI 223 55gr soft point...will let y'all know how it goes when I send some down range (I use PRVI in my Enfield 303, never had any trouble, shoots clean, spot on).

Price was right too... $8.09/20 round box :thumb:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts