Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
19,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before work tomorrow(afternoon), I will be hitting Sams,Save-A-Lot, etc before going to the BOL for the weekend and have $500 to blow on foodstuffs/pantry items.

What would you suggest? Any quick hints? Right now I have about 200 cans of various veggies, sauces,tuna, etc. I also have 100lbs, of rice and 50lbs of red beans. Just bought a canner and that will be starting up soon.:)

Since I'm doing this on the fly and the wife can't find her "wishlist" or the inventory sheet (I know-women :D:).

I really need to get some cream or tartar and baking soda, more salt, grits, spices, more sauces, veggies, fruits,etc. Perhaps some dehydrated.FD stuff if available.

My sleeping pills are kicking in so I can't think straight right now, but will be going through and researching the board more.

·
Infraction Collector
2,409 Posts
lol,...felecia,...we do a ton of tuna.

Man if I had a good $500 chunck to buy food preps,......I'd look seriously into some mountain house cans.

but if buying locally,....I'd get some new buckets and lids,..and then start filling them,.....

all of the stuff felicia mentioned good too.

$500 will get you a LONG ways!

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
I would not buy a bunch of rice and beans unless you have mylar bags to store them in.

I would buy what you normally eat. Do you have a food rotation system in place? If not, maybe look at buying or building a rotation system?

·
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
47,190 Posts
Aldi has quick oats in the large canisters for $2 a piece.

Reactions: POPPALUV

·
Sua Sponte
976 Posts
If your concern is TEOTWAWKI then I would buy more rice and beans. Even if not stored in the official sanctioned_tested_by_survivalists_who_have_been_there_done_that_world_ended_twice_they_survived_forum_method rice and beans last a heck of a long time. As in years. Rice is 10$ for a 25lb bag at Sams club around here.

Figure what you have for rice and beans right now will get one person by for about six months (probably a bit less). So figure out a time line and the number of people involved and do some multiplication. Go buy that.

If you are concerned about a SHTF event, say a Katrina type thing. Maybe things go bad for a few months and then all is right in the world...I would suggest buying more of 'what you eat'. Which will probably get you out a month or three on its own (probably less).

Honestly, a mixed approach would probably do you good. With five hundred bucks you should be able to more than push your stocks out rice/beans to the year point (typical time marker) and still have some left over to do the 'what you eat now'.

Don't forget spices and a method of cooking the food. Don't neglect a water source or method to purify water. You might just be more in the 'better water source' category of need than the 'more food' category. Only you know of course.

YMMV,
Chad

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Emergency Essentials now has butter powder and egg powder in the small cans. (Given your climate, I wouldn't buy big cans of these items.) Butter seems to be going up, so I'd definitely get a supply of the powder. Also, you DO have the big double pack of Tony C's, right?

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,439 Posts
My first instinct is to buy more beans and rice. They're cheap insurance. 300 lbs of rice and 100 lbs of beans is a solid year's worth of protein and carbs. Fill in around that with fats, veggies, etc., and you have a good starting point. That would still leave you plenty of money for mylar and O2 absorbers.

·
angel waiting
4,071 Posts
I'm going to go with five gallon buckets of
sugar
flour
wheat berries
oats

then
baking soda
cocoa
honey
salt
cheap spices
couple cases of veggies
couple cases of canned meat

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
You sound like you need more main courses, and more breakfast food.

I would buy canned chicken and canned beef, oatmeal, oil, noodles, canned spagetti sauce, dried fruit, crackers, flour, and something to season those beans with!

·
High-Strung
840 Posts
I would set it aside and use it to stock up on food that comes on sales at really good prices. You can buy a lot of rice, canned goods, and other non-perishables for that if you get them at low prices.

·
Banned
19,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Man if I had a good $500 chunck to buy food preps,......I'd look seriously into some mountain house cans.

but if buying locally,....I'd get some new buckets and lids,..and then start filling them,.....

I was looking into the MH last month , but got talked out of it by members. I've got a good start on tuna, buckets, maybe the smaller cans from Emergency.

I would not buy a bunch of rice and beans unless you have mylar bags to store them in.

I would buy what you normally eat. Do you have a food rotation system in place? If not, maybe look at buying or building a rotation system?
Set on mylar,o2, and buckets. :thumb:(I get about 6 a week if I want 'em from a friends bar :)) Being from N.O. we lvoe our beans, but maybe some butter or lima would be good to round them out. Rest assured we don't stock anything we don't eat. As a matter of fact, the BIL and I will be building a shelving/rotation system this weekend at the BOL between shooting. I can't wait to shoot my Pardner and Mosin!

You could purchase 4.68 grams of an Italian White Alba Truffle :thumb:

After TEOTWAWKI... that is almost enough for one of your powdered egg breakfasts.

(1.5Kg Italian White Alba Truffle – $160,406)
http://most-expensive.net/truffle-world
Dang, I gave up truffles for New Years too!! :cool:

Aldi has quick oats in the large canisters for $2 a piece.
NO Aldi here,but there is an LDs cannery on the way tot he BOL. word is ther will be a Costco built about 7 miles from me soon. smack in the middle of the hood.

You sound like you need more main courses, and more breakfast food.

I would buy canned chicken and canned beef, oatmeal, oil, noodles, canned spagetti sauce, dried fruit, crackers, flour, and something to season those beans with!
Good eye. But we are also putting a lil' bit of $ a week away for when meat goes on sale for our canner. Home made canned foods might actually be our most prepped items WTSHTF. Seafood, Seafood,seafood!!!!!!! Mnnnnnnn.

Last time Sams didn't have anything dehydrated/FD.

·
That One Guy
13 Posts
Latter Day Saints canneries

Contact the Latter Day Saints and most of the time they will let non-members can at their facility and buy their food from them. It is a great place to buy inexpensive bulk food.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Get chicken, beef, ham, and vegetable bouillon. Tomato bouillon can also be used to give a tomatoey taste to things. The chicken, beef, and ham will flavor your beans, and also the rice. Get lots of spices; they can change plain rice to something really good.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts

Ditto:thumb:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts