Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

These are bubble tea straws. They're used to drink an Asian green tea / milk drink known as bubble tea. The tea comes with little tapioca balls (the bubbles) and the straws are about twice as large in diameter as American straws. They also tend to be more robust and durable.

Every time I order out Chinese food I have a bubble tea so I have quite a collection. Given their seeming durability I can't help but think they could be useful for something. Maybe jerry rigging some sort of machinery? I can think of some far-fetched ideas such as miniature blow guns or breathing straws for hiding underwater but nothing serious.

Any ideas? Share your uses for other unusual items people wouldn't normally have a use for.

·
Registered
347 Posts

These are bubble tea straws. They're used to drink an Asian green tea / milk drink known as bubble tea. The tea comes with little tapioca balls (the bubbles) and the straws are about twice as large in diameter as American straws. They also tend to be more robust and durable.

Every time I order out Chinese food I have a bubble tea so I have quite a collection. Given their seeming durability I can't help but think they could be useful for something. Maybe jerry rigging some sort of machinery? I can think of some far-fetched ideas such as miniature blow guns or breathing straws for hiding underwater but nothing serious.

Any ideas? Share your uses for other unusual items people wouldn't normally have a use for.
Spell checker got you, it's boba tea. Those things are loaded with sugar, be careful drinking too many. They are tasty though. :)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Everything has a use if things go bad enough but at some point garbage is garbage if you want to live a normal life rather than be a hoarder. I am not saying that is the case with you but there can be a fine line between hanging on to something that will be handy and being a full on hoarder.

·
Registered
9,259 Posts
Everything has a use if things go bad enough but at some point garbage is garbage if you want to live a normal life rather than be a hoarder. I am not saying that is the case with you but there can be a fine line between hanging on to something that will be handy and being a full on hoarder.
Indeed. My grandmother was a prepper...and a hoarder.

She washed and saved every stryrofoam meat tray she ever bought....for what I have no idea. We threw away thousands of pounds of rotting food when she died, and filled six 40 foot dumpsters with junk she had prepped.

And I mean junk, obviously if any of it was useful I would have brought it home, and there was one pickup trucks worth of good stuff in the pile...but most of it was literally garbage.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,454 Posts
1) Heat seal a million of them closed and make a raft. or a sleeping pad.
2) Emergency catheter. :)
3) Roll up secret message and put in straw. Seal shut. Dead drop secret message. Spy Straw! :)
4) night crawler worm containment device. Put worm in straw. Now you can control the beast!
5) Use to drink beverages from containers. Insert straw in beverage, place mouth on straw, and suck. Drink the beverage as it enters your mouth.
6) Emergency salmon egg fishing bait storage and dispenser.
7) Fill with Celox or Quick clot. Put in first aid pouch, next to the bondage earthworm. :)
8) Fill with Brawndo sports drink mix powder. Now with electrolytes! Dispense into canteen, mix and enjoy! :)
9) Fil with povo-iodine, seal shut, put in first aid pouch next to bondage earthworm, salmon eggs, and quick clot.
10) Emergency tracheotomy tube.
11) container for small fishing weights, or dry flies, or sewing needles, or small fish hooks, or pellet ammo for pellet gun.
12) roll up 1 square of toilet paper per straw and seal in. Emergency dry TP. :)

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is very true. About every six months I go through my inventory and think long and hard about whether I need some of the marginal things. I don't have alot of storage space so in a way my dwelling sometimes makes the decision for me.

·
reluctant sinner
16,989 Posts
Maybe there will be a buy back program and you can sell them.

bunkerbuster had posted several kinds of fire starter that could be sealed in sections of them.

·
Social Deserter
420 Posts
I like the sealed drink mix idea but I don’t know how big these are. Might not be large enough. I would fill with Vaseline cotton balls, seal both ends, and create a hefty fire starting device.

·
Gatorbait
856 Posts

Trying to come up with reasons to keep junk is known as hoarding. Just toss trash in the trash can.

·
Here to keep current
20 Posts
Spell checker got you, it's boba tea. Those things are loaded with sugar, be careful drinking too many. They are tasty though. :)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Nothing wrong with spell checker, Bubble Tea is a standard name for the drink. But you are right, they are very tasty and sweet, having spent time in Asia, including Taiwan, I developed somewhat of an addiction that takes a bit of effort to quench here.

But as to the straws themselves, I like some of the ideas that seal various powders in them but nowadays, it is just as easy to buy said powders already in convenient packaging so I lean toward the idea of tossing them (into your recycle bin of course! :D:)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts