Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is any of you guys (or ladies) know (and I mean seriously) about rabbit diseases and treatment?

The deal is I have a pet rabbit that has some issues lately and no rabbit vets around.. need some help ASAP:confused:

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I raise show rabbits, not too good with treatments but let us know what the problem is and maybe one of us happens to have experience with it.

Sorry, I dont take rabbits to the vet. May seem harmless but its kinda like taking a bic lighter to the repair shop.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, I have a pet bunny that runs free at home (litter trained).
she is around a year and half old, overall happy and playful.

suddenly her pellets became a little wet and lost the round form so we stopped giving her veggies for a few days, then she just stopped eating and pooping...

after two days she started eating again but didn't pooped at all for a week (!)
we took the poor creature to a vet (that doesn't specializes in bunnies) he checked her and made xray.. the xray was alright, told me to give her paraffin oil for 2 days and a lot of water... did that and the bunny got alright.
started pooping again but much less then she did once and she stopped chewing her boxes (something she really enjoyed before).

a few weeks after that she was playing and jumping on the bed... everything was fine..
but then she lied down on the belly and deformed her face really bad... I couldn't get her standing.. after a few minutes she tried to get up but couldn't stand, all her body was shaking and the muscles flexed... she was breathing very hard... I gave her 0.2CC of Valium (she weights 2KG its about 4lbs) and she fell all shaking but the muscles and face relaxed.. she fell a sleep and after a few hours got better... 2 days since that and she is all fine..

The closest thing I saw in humans that reminded me that seizure is epilepsy..
Someone knows what the hell it was? how to prevent it happening again?!?! what to do? what caused it???

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I dont take rabbits to the vet. May seem harmless but its kinda like taking a bic lighter to the repair shop.
well not when the animal is a part of your family... We fell in love with her and care for her as a human member of our family.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I am not a vet nor do I play one on TV so take this with a grain of salt. I would leave off veggies period. Good ( read GREAT) quality rabbit chow. They don't eat much<smile>. Hay and papaya tablets once a week. Frozen pineapple juice, very diluted, once a week. NOT canned as the heat kills the enzymes in the juice. Decreased size/number of poops can signal wool block. Bunnies groom like cats, by licking themselves. They, however, cannot hack up hairballs so hair gets mixed with bunny chow in tummy and a blockage can form. So roughage ( hay) to sort of scour out their innards, the papya and pineapple to break down the ick ( go look at a meat tenderizer label).

The slightly runny poops say infection to me. The good/bad is antibiotics can cause runny poops which thus kills the rabbit while curing it. Not pooping says a blockage to me....which could cause an infection.

If bunny is loose, is there ANY chance it could have chewed something? Not everything shows up on xray. Pain *could* cause the *seizure*. Any animal that is in pain will quit doing things. Good luck!!!!!!!!!

Liebrecht

·
Registered
692 Posts
If you check out farm-dreams.com you will find a rabbit group there; lots of help and advice.

Nice site of a lot of homesteaders sharing their experiences and what they have learned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts