Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aquaponics is basically hydroponic farming combined with fish farming in a sustainable recycling system. I found this very cool and effective per sq ft for growing food and fish farming.

http://www.fastonline.org/content/view/15/29/

Go there and check out the PDF, its amazing what this guy did. Its a guide with pictures on how to setup your own system.

·
Banned
742 Posts
Done it. It works. Use tilapia for the fish. Ideally, grow veggies with low nutrient requirements: lettuce, basil, etc. That way you don't have to supplement the fish waste water with additional plant nutrients.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, if I tried this I was leaning toward using Tilapia as the fish. I love the taste of Tilapia and hear they are hardy fish. As for the veggies I was thinking of basil, leafy greens, peppers, tomatoes, and eggplant.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am just getting started in this . I did however find a pretty good informative site. www.backyardaquaponics.com This is an australian company . with an enormous international forum. The forum has a huge volume of knowledge on this subject. I found the site searching for info on raising crawfish .

·
Registered
396 Posts
Is there anyway to make this work in the North without using water heaters?

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Nothing you can't spell will ever work.
Will Rogers
US humorist & showman (1879 - 1935)

Just kidding :) I heard of it sounds interesting wounder what the smallest acreage you could do it on is ?

I've gotten to where I like the taste of Tilapia better than I do flounder and I'm a saltwater fish person.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
I am just getting started in this . I did however find a pretty good informative site. www.backyardaquaponics.com This is an australian company . with an enormous international forum. The forum has a huge volume of knowledge on this subject. I found the site searching for info on raising crawfish .

Think I found the answer to my question via your link. thanks

·
Registered
396 Posts
green house?
That was the only thing I could think of.

I have family that had a green house but it took a lot of propane to heat. They also bought a BIG wood stove to heat it but they couldn't keep enough wood on hand for it.

Any other ideas on how to do this in the north would be great.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Hmmmm I’m having a hard time deciding whether I should aqua farm with Tilapias or seahorse. Both reproduce rather quickly so to give food year round if you have a large enough pool. I just don’t know.

Anyone out there aquafarming some frogs?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts