Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking real hard about adding one of these to our battery, to those of you that own one how are they? How about mags, aluminum or steel? I'm an AK guy but we need to add a longer reaching auto to our loadout and this one fits the bill.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
My friend has had one for about 4 years he loves it, I liked it when i fired it. The sights take some getting used to but once you get the hang of it hell yeah they are nice. Mags pretty much are about the same on reliability he has the mags he got for 2.99 on midway with a little spraypaint they are all better.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
OH forgot the accuracy is on part with any other .308 battle rifle ie m1a, fal, etc
about 1.5 inch groups with great ammo out to 2.5 with the really crappy surplus stuff.
they really really like the german battle packs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ive heard the "target" model is extremely picky on what ammo it will eat. But is very accurate. But the GI model i believe its called, will eat anything, and is still pretty accurate.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've had one for close to two years now and really like it. As a previous poster stated, some can be picky with ammo. When JLD became PTR Inc. they incorporated TC barrels that while accurate, did not have the flutes cut to the same depth as found on an HK. When firing tar sealed ammo (some surplus and Winchester White Box) these flutes, on some PTRs, gather "crud" in the flutes and inhibit proper extraction. Most reports of this have been in rifles with AW serial numbers, however, I have AW 12XX and have had no problems with any commercial ammo, reloads, Wolf or British Radway Green. I think it's a great rifle, buy one, test it with different types of ammo and stock up on what it likes.

If the potential flute issue concerns you other options are to buy a PTR GI with the proper HK flutes, find an old Greek made Springfield Armory SR-8 (NOT the one with the U.S. made reciever) or save up your money for a real HK.

The platform makes for a decent DMR style or a great battle rifle, they are fairly accurate (more so than most FALs, on par with a decent M1A), very rugged, and reliable with the right ammo and the mags are dirt cheap. The MFI low profile scope mount is the way to go if you want to mount some glass.

I have several steel mags and 25 aluminimum mags, all of the steel mags fit rather tight in my rifle, tight enough that makes any type of mag change drill difficult. All of my aluminimum mags go in and out easily.

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts
mags are really cheap, I had a cetme and a Hk for a while- really wasn't much difference in them to me. both shot well. the cetme was dropped about 6 ft and it took some work to fix the chaking tube on top. the armorers manual talks about repairing this with a special tool, so "it happens" also the locking rollers wear the turnion over time and there's 3 different size rollers made for them as they wear, Actually there's quiet a few special tools for repairs to the reciever.
I bought a new Hk sliding stock from Copes, I think for $200 last year, and I sold the gun a month later, I gave the cetme away. I don't think the PTR 91 is worth the price, but I've never actually had that specific one. parts kits were everywhere a year ago,german, pakastian, british,s america... everybody had them in the day but i think the technology have made them obsolete.

thought this was funny;
G3/ptr91
Ergonomics of a railroad tie. No bolt release, and a locking system that requires three men and a mule to work the cocking handle. Fluted chamber that mauls brass, and violent bolt motion that dings the brass that didn't get mauled too badly by the chamber. Stamped sheet metal construction, yet just as heavy as a milled steel M14. Safety lever that requires unnaturally long thumbs, and a trigger pull that feels like dragging a piano across a gravel road with your index finger. Favorite infantry rifle of Cold War nostalgics and third world commandos.

·
Registered
156 Posts
ptr needs some help !!

ok if you get one find a psg-1 buffer and a hk21 rubber butt end ....your shoulder will love for this ..if you get the rear sight with a 100 yds Enclosed rear peep sight hand drill it open to you see the outer part of the Front hooded sight ....i have one for app.3 years nice rifle but you will to moded abit to work nicely ....

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I'm getting cold feet about selling off a valuable old Smith revolver to fund this so it might be a bit before I finally decide.

·
Immortal
1,411 Posts
If you can find a PTR91 for anything less than full retail, buy it.
Mine eats any ammo and has never malfunctioned with any mag.

·
Semper Fi
2,808 Posts
FN FAL, mags getting expensive. M1A, expensive as are mags. M1 Garand, 30-06 getting expensive. HK 91/G3/PTR 91 AR10, though mags are expensive. All good. Find one you like All do the same thing, shoot hard, long and accurate. I prefer the M1A or since youre an AK guy, get an RPK Yugo preferably. 75 rnd drums. Long heavy barrel, light machine gun style, bipod- allows more power from that little x39 case. Its no 308 nato but commonality of ammo, should be option mentioned... 600 or so yards, easy shots.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts