Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched "Weaponology" on AHC channel the other day and they featured a segment on the Barrett Firearms’ M468 6.8 Remington SPC. From what Ive been able to research, its been around for like 10 years or more.

This seemed to be a good balance between long range accuracy and knock-down power. It also looks like it would be easy to just replace AR uppers with the new caliber, but i hardly know anything about AR's.

Any word on if the military plans on switching?

Thanks

·
Awesome
18,069 Posts
6.8 SPC at max pressure would be badass, 6.8SPC in an AR15?... meh, you can get 95% of what it offers from a .277 wolverine only requiring a barrel change.. if the military switches caliber it wont be to 6.8 SPC unless they switch to a new rifle first which isnt going to happen.. i think youre stuck with what they have now until directed energy weapons replace cartridge weapons entirely

and if YOU feel its a better caliber, by all means switch to it, why base your life and your decisions on what a bunch of bureaucrats and bean counters decide?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Nope.

And they're not going to 300BO either.

There's a lot more to it than just how great the round may or may not be. Getting your NATO allies to standardize on it is a bit more important.

556 ain't going anywhere for some time.

Everything they air on AHC is close to a decade old.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Any change won't happen any time soon. Those kind of changes have a huge cost impact on the logistics train and usually happen when the defense budget is flush with cash. The people whose job it is to "think tank" that kind of stuff are probably loathe to push any new cartridges right now as the new standard, given the opinion man portable directed energy weapons may be just over the horizon and would make all such weaponry obsolete in comparison.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
300 BLK would be the best one for the kind of combat ranges out there. We used .30 Cal in WWII. 9mm and 7.62X25 was doing well too. .223 is plenty good for military service and I am glad we have smart people who decide on what we use and have to carry out there rather than ones more worried about using, " HEMAN " projectiles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.