Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If it were not for my wife (married for only 2 years), I swear my medical closet would have only one item- Duct Tape...I very rarely get sick, and when I injure myself, out comes the duct tape.. I am not kidding..When my wife moved in, she couldn't believe that I only had a box with about 3 odd sized bandaides in it...

I have never used an anticeptic with any injury I have done.. I just unrole a suitable length of tape and it's a wrap.

I really need to invest in some serious med supplies for my preps..

If any of you super-preppers inspected my med preps, you would probably ban me from this site.

Any other members as bad as me? :taped:

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,548 Posts
I tend to be the opposite. I'm overprepared. Even with things that I don't know how to use, such as IV kits and fluids. But we have a nurse in our group, so it made sense to stock them. Now all I need is a surgeon in the group who can use the surgical gear!

The down side is that it's getting time to rotate some of the meds and antibiotics. And I don't have my sources anymore. I used to depend on the drugbuyers.com website for reviews of offshore pharmacies and prices, but they've closed. I have yet to find a suitable replacement source of info. The few websites I've found discussing such things, didn't have enough detail to them to be useful.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Ive done pretty good with the medical preps, only thing I need to replenish is the antibiotics. Had some Mexican pharmacy ones stored but they expired and I didn't want to take a chance on using some of them like the Doxycycline as they tend to get toxic when old. Only problem is they are a little expensive. Just had to switch jobs and just haven't had the money or time to replace them. Am thinking about going with vet abx this time around. They are essentially the same as human ones and are somewhat cheaper than buying from a foreign pharmacy. My doc won't give me a script for anything with a specific reason.

·
Registered
289 Posts
i am also low. but old sheets/shirts/towels make for good bandages =). And i can always let my dog lick the cut to disinfect it for me. LOL

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think a great thing to learn is how to make your own penicillin. I read somewhere that cantaloupe is a great medium to start with cuz penicillin will spontaneously start to grow on it. I had a good website on it but I can't find it now... maybe try this one: http://hubpages.com/hub/Save-Lives-and-Make-Money-With-Home-Grown-Penicillin I haven't read the whole page so I'm not sure if it's a good one, but yeah. It's possible to make your own penicillin so.... there's that.

·
Banned
1,228 Posts
I think a great thing to learn is how to make your own penicillin. I read somewhere that cantaloupe is a great medium to start with cuz penicillin will spontaneously start to grow on it. I had a good website on it but I can't find it now... maybe try this one: http://hubpages.com/hub/Save-Lives-and-Make-Money-With-Home-Grown-Penicillin I haven't read the whole page so I'm not sure if it's a good one, but yeah. It's possible to make your own penicillin so.... there's that.
In today’s world most bacteria will laugh at penicillin.

Decades of overuse of antibiotics.

·
Grevcon 10
5,794 Posts
Just a reminder that this type of Penicillin only works for external use and does nothing for internal infections such as UTI or Ears for these you need pills.

·
Registered
91 Posts
True. But maybe better than nothing in TEOTWAWKI? Obviously not a solution to everything but perhaps one tool to add to the repertoire?

·
Registered
343 Posts
http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=6860&tabid=548

Here's an example of what I believe to be a great kit if you can save some change here and there then just splurge on your families well being. Especially if you have children.
I bought it a couple years ago and have used a few things in it. If you get a kit be sure to take most if not everything out just to familiarize yourself with the contents and the organization of all items in it. If a trauma were to occur this would make a huge difference during the stress of the event. I also highly recommend a "Wilderness First Aid" course. Google it and sign up. Take care.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have lots of medical supplies as my better half is a nurse with over 40 years of experience.

You don't need to go fancy, you just need LOTS of the basics. The dollar stores can help you here. Get multiples: bandaids (various sizes), steristrips, gauze wrap, 4x4s, some splints, some ice packs (instant), an old fashioned hot water bag, lots of cold meds (including cough drops and decongestants), lots of allergy meds (generic is fine for all of this stuff), aspirin, generic tylenol and motrin, tubes of antibiotic ointment, tubes of anti-itch powder, some anti-fungal spray, some bottles of alcohol and some of hydrogen peroxide, several boxes of gloves, some generic immodium, some generic pepto, some alka-seltzer, lots of vitamins, lots of ben gay (we really stock this!), a thermometer or two, some tweezer, scissors and the like.

The key is to stock it deep. You don't get one box of cold meds, you get 8 (though not all at once or they think you are cooking dope). Not one tube of antibiotic ointment, but 4 or 5. More bandages than you think you could use in a lifetime, because they go fast when you have a wound that needs care.

This stuff is not expensive. You can buy a huge bottle of generic benadryl at Sams for like $4. It has like 500 tablets. That should cover you for a while. Make sure you also stock plenty of soap and hand sanitizer. For $100 or less, you could be pretty well stocked for most emergencies and have plenty to help others or to barter with or to keep for long term use.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Rubbish; I'd still want you. We all have our weak areas. Instead of criticizing you, I'd offer some suggestions:

1. If there's a Dollar Tree in your area, go shopping. You can get most of the basics you need: alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, triple antibiotic ointments, fungal ointments, bandaids, laxatives, anti-diarrheals, elastic bandages, allergy medicine, cough drops, sore-muscle rub, eye drops, aspirin/tylenol/advil. . . get the idea? You could probably spend $30 at Dollar Tree and have a fairly good medicine chest.

2. Begin collecting any prescription medicines anyone in your family takes. You can do this my finding an understanding physician, getting drugs refilled a day or so early each month and gradually building a supply, or skipping a dose (not recommended).

3. Check out the fish antibiotics available on Amazon. Remember, infection will be our greatest threat in a total SHTF situation. I really doubt there'll be a sudden resurgence in plague, smallpox is gone, etc., but we'll probably get more physical injuries than before because of the work we're going, and even a tiny cut can become life-threatening. You should know which antibiotics work for you and your family members. You might want to watch the Survivalist Nurse video; she has some good recommendations.

4. From the drugstore you should get what Dollar Tree doesn't have, such as an ice pack, hot water bottle (also useful for cold nights), vitamins, gauze, adhesive tape, etc.

Don't be discouraged; just set aside some money and get it done.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts