Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, any hobbyists or full time makers on the forums? I just started making some about a year or so ago. The first ones were pretty rough looking but I’m starting to get the hang of it. I’ll post some in the pic thread when I get a chance.

·
reluctant sinner
16,910 Posts
I have made lots of leather sheaths. Re-ground a few blades, finished maybe 50 knives over the years from blanks I bought. I would like to make some knives someday from raw steel. I like heat treatment as an art - have done some small parts I made for firearms.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve tried a few leather sheaths and all turned out pretty terrible, so I’m going to stick to kydex for a while. I really enjoy the heat treating part. Part since and part art like god said. I’ve got a bunch to learn but it’s definitely interesting.

·
Registered
424 Posts
i still make some when time permits some are from car springs some are 18% carbide and some forged.my friend does the leather work and tought me a lot a couple of sheaths are mine very time consuming and burnt fingers but now i can get through a whole elk with out worries.

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
I make knives as a retirement hobby. I've been at it about three years now. I do stock removal and forging. I do my heat treating in house with a Even heat knife kiln and mostly Parks quenching oil. Here are a couple I just finished using an old saw mill head saw.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I am getting into making knife handles from burls I come across. I had a ceanothus burl that I had made into a clock. The grain is pretty awesome so I wanted to make some handles out of it. The piece was 14" x 8" x 1" with natural edge all the way around. I needed to cut the piece in half to get 2 pieces that would be 14" x 8" x 3/8". I cut some pieces off of both sides to get it to 14"x 5". I built a simple jig for my Dewalt 12" chop saw. Worked perfectly. pictures attached.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts