Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Animis opibusque parati
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have narrowed my serch for a new bag. They are both Kelty but are a little differant sizes (3000CI and 3300CI) and differant designs (Top Loading vs. Front loading). I'm not a huge bag guru and to be quite honest the backpack function is one of emergency. Mostly the pack is carried back and forth to the truck!

This pack is sort of a hybrid if you will. I keep my large fanny pack used for hunting inside it which contains the basics. Alot of spare hunting related stuff and some bob stuff. My point being I will be in and out of them alot to get ammo, my fanny pack out, binos, and on and on. Would it make more sense to have a front loading. Its use on my back will be limited but nessecary if needed. I supose if I decided on a light backpacking trip It would work as well.

How much of a differnce is 300CI anyways ?:confused:

Here they are:

http://www.ebags.com/kelty/grizzly_3000/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=66993

http://www.ebags.com/kelty/bison_3300/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=66991

Im sort of leaning towards the Bison as it kind of seems more Versatile but I'm nervious a top loading bag will make it hard to get to my stuff ?

I know Josah922 did a write up on the bison, I just need some help

I supose I'm not against other suggestions too. I have ruled out Kifuru for price, and surplus stuff becuse of features and comfort. The maxexpedition stuff really dosent do much for me.

Thanks Charles

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
I own neither of the packs in question, keep that in mind. 300ci is not a major difference in size, most likely a large pocket or a "tall" design, nothing serious. If you are sure you need extra room, get the bigger, if not get the smaller. Less will equal more, trust me. Josiah is one of the top notch reviewers on this site, his word to me, is gold. (I trust him 125%) I think kev also did a few pack reviews that you may want to check into (also 125%). Personally I have used cheap packs or military surplus. I am a soldier (Ret.) and cannot break the habit of using a top loader for several reasons, the most important to me is a top loader will hold gear even if the closure is broken, a front loader is dependant on the zipper to hold the gear. I do have a BOB that uses a front load backpack, but all of my serious packs are top load only. The thing to remember is to get what fits you, not what fits me. If you need something in particular then by all means get that. I know you are worried about gear access, but most of the time it is not a problem to "pack" your gear in order of use. Most likely clothes at the bottom, water bladder on you back (in the slot) heavy gear on top of clothes, light gear on top, and all main gear on the very top (fire, water tablets, ammo, shelter, poncho etc.) Pack in the order of use and which way it loads wont really matter. Let me know if I can help more, I know that I really havent made your mind up on which pack, but they are both good choices, :).

·
Registered
180 Posts
I own a Fieldline backpack which is very similar to the ones you're looking at.
I use it for my BOB and my general camping pack - plenty of space.
Selecting gear, I always keep the size of my pack in mind and have built a reasonable collection of usable ultralight gear now. This took a bit of trial and error and I messed around with how to attach stuff.
Personally, I'd go for the 3000 and try, as I've done, to build an ultralight equipment list.

Also, keep in mind how many pockets are on your field clothes. My clan use exarmy BDUs and put all those pockets to use. For instance - map and compass are in left chest pocket so I can check them while on the move, poncho is in left cargo pocket of my pants. You get the idea.

·
Banned
85 Posts
I have a Kelty Redwing 3100ci and my son has the same bag in a 2650ci. The size difference is hardly noticable for packing purposes. The 3100 is larger as far as being taller. I suggest you try on both packs your considering. If you have a short torso the 3300ci may be too long for a proper fit. I am 5'8" and would not go with a bigger pack than I have now. Also consider pack size for packing. The larger it is the more stuff you want to put in it. That can be bad if your bag weights too much to carry any distance if needed. The other option here is to dump gear to lighten the load. Then whats the purpose of the big bag to begin with??
Also after owning a front load pack vs a top load pack it is no choice, I will take a front load any day. It sure makes find items easier especially when what you want finds it way to the bottom of the pack. I will say Kelty does make nice packs.

Huckster

·
Animis opibusque parati
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I went out shopping today which of course is never good on the wallet.

I looked at the Bison while it looked like a well made pack I had one major complaint. The pack is not adjustable for the user(Torso Length) which I didnt like.

The grizzly suffered form the same downfall. and was pretty small given how it was broken up.

Happily I found a Kelty Coyote (In Camo) that was on clearence. It was adjustable, top loading and front accessable (kind of the best of both worlds) and holds 4750 CI!!!. Hydration Compatable, and great padding.

I will try to get some photos up here soon

Thanks for all the advise

I have to say sometimes the biggist thrill of getting something new is the chase

·
Forum Administrator
16,797 Posts
I like the Bison better.

The large exterior pockets can come in handy. That is usually where I keep my hammock, water filter and rain poncho at. The Bison looks a lot like my Kelty. The top lid has a rather large compartment that is big enough for all kinds of gear.

But, with a pack this size, do not expect to carry a 40 degree or less sleeping bag in it. Putting a sleeping bag into a pack that size will fill it up. Plan on using a stuff sack and attaching the sleeping bag to bottom of the pack on the outside.

I would consider that Bison pack as a warm weather, day hiking, over night camping trip kind of bag. If you are going ultra light camping then it would be fine. If you are going in the mountains and need to carry a 0 degree bag along with cold weather clothing, , then I would look at something else.

I use a fieldline pack about that same size. All I carry in it is a Fleece Sleeping bag, one man tent and other warm weather gear. I also have a large alice pack about that same size. On cold weather camping trips, the sleeping bag gets strapped to the outside of the frame.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Try them both on, and see if you can get someone knowledgeable to fit it for you-- or, read up about pack fitting on the internet and then go do it yourself.

The difference between a well-fit pack and a poorly-fit pack is very significant if/when you wind up having to carry it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts