Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not seed potatos. I would like to get the actual seeds so I can put em back into freezer but I cant seem to find any. I would love any ideas on where to get some. I would really like viking purple other fingerlings and maybe some reds.

·
Living YOUR dreams!
648 Posts
Wow!
It seems as if I'm not too old to learn something new.
I've gardened all my life and never bothered to learn this bit of trivia. I was told decades ago that potato seeds were sterile, like banana seeds, just vestigial leftovers from aeons past. I took this as truth.
Are you certain this isn't just another urban legend?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Potatoes are tubers, so they don't reproduce via seeds. Seed potatoes, on the other hand, are those intended to be used as starters for new potato plants.

Check out the catalog from the folks at Ronninger's; there's a lot of culture information and some root cellaring stuff as well.

·
Sic semper tyrannis
745 Posts

·
Sic semper tyrannis
745 Posts
Are you certain this isn't just another urban legend?
I have zero first hand experience, but there's a good bit of information concerning getting potatoes from true-seed. There's a handful of posts on other gardening forums concerning the topic, but I'm not a member of those forums so I can't see pictures.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=do+potato+bushes+produce+berries+that+can+be+used+to+grow+potatoes

one of the threads i mentioned: http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=6761

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
The information I've seen suggests that growing potatoes from seed is a labor-intensive project, to say nothing of being a regular disappointment. The poster at http://tomatoville.com referenced above has been getting seeds from potatoes for a number of years and he says it's potluck as to the results you get until you have bred several generations.

The post at http://www.growseed.org/potato-breeding.html is geared to the do-it-yourselfer who wants to breed potatoes. It is not a source of potato seed, and the gentleman who posts on the tomatoville forum says the growseed.org method is not one he'd try because it's too easy to spread potato diseases using that method.

This company does 55,000 tons of potato 'seeds' a year, but they do microtubers, not actual seeds, and use tissue culture to produce new plants. Wikipedia says "Commercial growers plant potatoes as a row crop using seed tubers, young plants or microtubers and may mound the entire row." No seeds, and you'd think that commercial growers would find seeds of value in potato cultivation.

·
Sic semper tyrannis
745 Posts
Also I didnt see it mentioned, but some of the potatoes you get from the grocery store are treated with a chemical to make them not sprout. Although Ive never ran into those type :thumb:
Nor have I, but I don't plant them. Certified seed potatoes aren't expensive. I think I paid a buck-fiddy for 2 pounds at the local feed store.

Sweet potatoes aren't too bad though. With some careful processing, you can turn store-bought into disease free. Like everything else, it just takes some time.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
Also I didnt see it mentioned, but some of the potatoes you get from the grocery store are treated with a chemical to make them not sprout. Although Ive never ran into those type :thumb:
I've always heard store bought were susceptible to blight.
any truth to it?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
There are indeed seeds that potatoes produce.. But they are a lot like apple seeds.. Potatoes don't fruit very often, either, but their fruit looks like a tomato- although it is not edible. I would not advise using the seeds from potato fruits. You won't know what you'll get (just like with apple seeds)

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
This is from Ronninger's Potato Farm:

'Potatoes are normally grown by planting a seed potato, not a true seed. Potatoes do produce actual seeds that can be planted but they are not as productive and take a couple of generations to produce a full size potato. When potato plants are growing, they will often produce a tomato-like seed pod on the plants. Inside these seed pods are 100's of true seeds that are the product of cross pollination between the potato plants in the area. Each seed is genetically unique and would produce a different plant than the other ones. ' [emphasis added]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.