Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Enjoying Life
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has ever stored Gas in the 55 gal plastic drums and also what would the storage life be in the drum. Or are there other cheap ways.

·
Doomsayer
4,048 Posts
You would need Sta-Bil.

They claim it will keep gas fresh for 12 months when mixed into fresh gasoline. Doubling the dosage will keep fuel fresh for up to 2 years.

One ounce of STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer for every 2-½ gallons of gasoline, gasoline/oil mixtures, or ethanol blends is the recommended dosage level.

Storing a bunch of gasoline is not in my preps, but that is just me.

·
Enjoying Life
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info Kregener, I had forgot about Sta-bil. I am also working on the long term items also. Im new to the long haul but puting my ax to the grind stone.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have used gas that was stored for over 2 years with the normal amount of Sta-bil. I used some in a Honda generator and the rest in my car with no ill effects. I suspect it would have gone another 6 months at least, but after 2 years I wanted to replace it. A few years ago I had a 2 gallon can that had Sta-bil in it that was over 3 years old. It had a lot of sediment in the bottom of the can. Given that, I conclude the shelf life, under the conditions where I store gas, is between 2 1/2 and 3 years.

I keep about 20 gallons around, mostly for the generator when the power goes out in the winter. Last year we were out for 3 days in late December. I store it in 5 gal. plastic gas cans. It's more portable then a single, large container.

·
Doomsayer
4,048 Posts
can you elaborate?

T
I believe overlordsshadow is saying that trying to store a BUNCH of gasoline so you can 'drive around' after the S hits TF is not really wise. I agree.

Several 55 gallon drums of gas sitting next to your house would not be a wise idea...to me, anyway.

A wiser course might be gold and silver, so you could 'buy' a horse. But, having some gas for generators and such is not a bad idea, but you had better plan on their being no new gas coming, and figure out a way to cook, bathe, have lights, whatever.

·
Say no to NWO PLEASE!
1,009 Posts
Exactly right Kregner.

As much as I'd like to drive my truck around after Tshtf, I won't be, for long anyway.

Have enough gas for generators, and to get to your bugout location, maybe some for bartering.

It should be used more as a transitionary item, rather than a long term store long term use item.

Being on a working farm or acerage would change how I store it and the amount. It would make more sense to have more gas/diesel stored if you were using it in a farming type situation. Again it should be for transitionary purposes.

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
923 Posts
Gas weighs around 8 lbs. per gallon. A fully filled 55 gallon drum would weigh about 440 lbs. Thats pretty hard to move around. I decided to go with 15 gallon drums for my bulk fuel storage needs. Easier to rotate the fuel over time since you can fill seperate containers at different times, I.E. like six months apart and then use them along those same time intervals. Also easier to handle like putting one in the back of the truck, taking it to the gas station for filling and then unloading it at the house since full it would only weigh around 120 lbs. Heavy but still managable. Also one hole in a 55 gallon drum would mean a lot more fuel lost than a hole (the rats here seem to love gnawing plastic. Any exposed electrical wire gets gnawed quickly) in one of several 15 gallon containers. You could also spread out your fuel stores in multiple locations with more but smaller barrels. Just my two cents. Keep in mind I also have lots of six gallon standard containers that also hold gas, diesel and kerosene. I can use those to go to the station and fill my drums without drawing too much attention in a SHTF situation. I can fill one barrel with two six gallon containers (leaving room for expansion) without drawing too much attention at the pumps and it would only weigh in at 96 lbs. For me the 15 gallon drums seemed to make the most sense. I'm talking about containers for bulk storage. I buy them locally from a guy for $8.00 apiece. They had a biodegradable soap detergent in them so I'm going to pressure wash one out and see how water stores in it as well. Here are a few of the ones I have.

·
Enjoying Life
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everone for their input, Not looking at storing 100s of gallons and not close to house (in Barn). Main uses would be generators,mine and neighbors if need be and to reach BOL. Would not be running the roads at a SHTF time. Hopefully Most uses would be in winter when the power goes off for a few days. I Guess the smaller containers would be easer to handle and could spread them out also. Thanks again to everone.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have actually thought of doing something similar to this just to save money. You could bury some gas storage containers in the lawn with a pump rigged up to them and then fill them up during the winter months when gas is cheap and then consume the gas from the tanks during the summer when it is selling for the highest price. The biggest problem would probably be getting permits.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts