Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ringin Your Gong From 600
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello. I have a friend (a married female btw) that lives in the Federal Way area of Washington. She is a recovering sheeple and we recently started discussing firearms as a form of home defense. She has expressed interest in learning more about firearms and actually going to a range to shoot.

"Take a training course" aside, can anyone recommend a decent range in the area or within a workable distance? She is totally new to firearms and the process can be overwhelming. You can look at the interenet and yellow pages all you want but it doesn't really give you the low-down on the people operating a given range (are they helpful, rude, smell bad, etc.) :)

Thanks for the help! :thumb:

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Hello. I have a friend (a married female btw) that lives in the Federal Way area of Washington. She is a recovering sheeple and we recently started discussing firearms as a form of home defense. She has expressed interest in learning more about firearms and actually going to a range to shoot.

"Take a training course" aside, can anyone recommend a decent range in the area or within a workable distance? She is totally new to firearms and the process can be overwhelming. You can look at the interenet and yellow pages all you want but it doesn't really give you the low-down on the people operating a given range (are they helpful, rude, smell bad, etc.) :)

Thanks for the help! :thumb:

She might try getting in touch with the local gun store owner, they can steer you in the right direction.

·
Registered
142 Posts
hawkbern,

I live in Seattle, and I can suggest two for different situations:

First, for pistols (all-caliber) and rimfire rifles, I like Wades/Bellevue Indoor Range. 13570 Bel Red Road, Bellevue, WA‎ - (425) 649-8560
Indoor range, pretty good people, they have a Women's discount day (I think it was Tuesday, but she'll need to check). Well-kept, bright & clean, I brought my wife there for her first time shooting.

Second, for centerfire rifles, I like the Issaquah Gun Club. 600 Southeast Evans Street, Issaquah, WA -(425) 392-3311
Outdoor (but covered) range, good people, 50 & 100 yd stations. Not as "commercial" as Wades; more informal, but still very safety-conscious.

She (or you) can find directions to each right from her address by using the Google maps function; each is about 25-35 minute drive from where I live.

Hope this helps.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Wades offers classes on a regular basis. Good folks, sell most all new guns in the store. they sell tons of used guns on gunbroker. They may still be having the Zombie Shoot. You could pick out targets from a dozen or so zombies or bin laden. Might be over now.

West Coast armory has a 31,000 sq ft range in Factoria, and offers basic as well as entry level combat classes? Their store does class III builds and NFA sales for silencers. If your looking for a top end build, they can deliver any custom arm you want. Selection is mediocre for low end shoppers. actually very poor for low end folks.

Issaquah is a funky old, beat up club. Make sure to check the dates for the black powder shoots as they take up a third of the lanes. I generally do my 100yd stuff there,they don't seem to mind a couple hundred big bore rounds cooking off in the middle of all the AR pea shootin. Lots of folks do their 100yd scope set up there.

·
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She might try getting in touch with the local gun store owner, they can steer you in the right direction.
Agreed...but some are more 'newbie' friendly than others. I've been to one or two where the staff acts like you are beneath them if you are new to firearms. MOST I have been to are not this way of course.

I've actually never been to a real range in my life, so I can't give her much info. Around here, seems like you always have private farmland to shoot on so there is never a need to go to the range. :)

·
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hawkbern,

I live in Seattle, and I can suggest two for different situations:

First, for pistols (all-caliber) and rimfire rifles, I like Wades/Bellevue Indoor Range. 13570 Bel Red Road, Bellevue, WA‎ - (425) 649-8560
Indoor range, pretty good people, they have a Women's discount day (I think it was Tuesday, but she'll need to check). Well-kept, bright & clean, I brought my wife there for her first time shooting.

Second, for centerfire rifles, I like the Issaquah Gun Club. 600 Southeast Evans Street, Issaquah, WA -(425) 392-3311
Outdoor (but covered) range, good people, 50 & 100 yd stations. Not as "commercial" as Wades; more informal, but still very safety-conscious.

She (or you) can find directions to each right from her address by using the Google maps function; each is about 25-35 minute drive from where I live.

Hope this helps.
Thank you much! Actually, we had talked a bit about shotguns...don't know where that fits in various ranges. :) As stated above, I've never been to one...except the Air Force ranges to qualify.

·
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wades offers classes on a regular basis. Good folks, sell most all new guns in the store. they sell tons of used guns on gunbroker. They may still be having the Zombie Shoot. You could pick out targets from a dozen or so zombies or bin laden. Might be over now.

West Coast armory has a 31,000 sq ft range in Factoria, and offers basic as well as entry level combat classes? Their store does class III builds and NFA sales for silencers. If your looking for a top end build, they can deliver any custom arm you want. Selection is mediocre for low end shoppers. actually very poor for low end folks.

Issaquah is a funky old, beat up club. Make sure to check the dates for the black powder shoots as they take up a third of the lanes. I generally do my 100yd stuff there,they don't seem to mind a couple hundred big bore rounds cooking off in the middle of all the AR pea shootin. Lots of folks do their 100yd scope set up there.
Thank you. I'll have her look into Wades. Sounds like that might be a decent place.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Thank you. I'll have her look into Wades. Sounds like that might be a decent place.
In the pistol range they keep about 50+ handguns. I have shot all of them plus the three rifles. All of the magazines and glock warrior crap everyone spouts off is transparent as a window when you shoot them all. You can clearly see first hand which ones are quality and accurate, and its none of the ones people spout off about.

A real eye opener and the 4 days or so to shoot them all will give you the straight dope for a long term purchase.

In the store on Saturday there is an older guy with an english accent and he is quick to help new folks.

·
Plinker
746 Posts
Wade Guns is good. If she wants to travel out towards Gold Bar, my favorite "shooting spot" is Jack Pass between Index and Skykomish.

·
Tuefel Hunden
1,573 Posts
Grew up in Seattle and am through there very regular. Retired military buddies in Everett, we are always around drop an email or what ever and feel free to PM. We have alot of different shooting ranges we visit, we hunt every where too and the wifes would be a great sphere of non-sheeple influence!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Another vote for Wade's in Bellevue. Several law enforcement agencies qualify there - the people in the shop side are very helpful (always willing to help me spend money) - and they have good classes. FYI - Tuesday nights are Ladie's night - not sure of the specials just recall seeing the sign. Eric, one of the training guys is very helpful. A few of my friends and I worked with Eric in zeroing some of our newly acquired weapons. They are also of a "right" mindset. Hope that helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts