Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Prepared Firebird
3,842 Posts
I've read most of the published books on the 1930's Depression. The best book I have found (in terms of human experience) is "The Great Depression" by David Shannon.

Other books mostly give statistics and economical analyses of that era. This book captures the reality of the experience for people who lived thru it. The stories gathered from Depression survivors are vivid and often heartbreaking. I couldn't put it down, until I finished it. If you want to know what the average person in America endured during the Great Depression, this is the book to read.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
i talk to my neighbor who is 100. i have also talked to my grandparents who are ow passed. both were okies who moved through to cali and lived in the okie camp outside of bakersfield. so get to know the elderly. they only need to be 80 or older

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
i talk to my neighbor who is 100. i have also talked to my grandparents who are ow passed. both were okies who moved through to cali and lived in the okie camp outside of bakersfield. so get to know the elderly. they only need to be 80 or older
even if they ddnt live during the depression if they are the ww2 generation there parents did and they can still relay a whole trove of info:thumb:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I dont need a book. 3 of 4 grandparents are still alive. spending time with them makes one realize how handy having a garden can be, or coming up with ways of reusing just about anything. they also manage thier money better than most.

·
Registered
430 Posts
dinning during the depression era. is a cook book I saw for sale on a local buy sale trade site. I don't have the book yet since the poster of the book is on vacation but when they get back It will be mine.....what kind of people post stuff for sale the morning they leave for vacation grrrrrrrrrr. Amazon.com: Dining During the Depression : Strong Family Ties, Hard Work, and Good Old-Fashioned Cooking Sustained Folks Through the 1930s (Reminisce Books) (9780898211566): Mike Beno; Julie Buchasbaum; Karen Thibodeau; Julie Buchsbaum: Books

·
Indefatigable
21,109 Posts
I just read one. My Dad just finished writing down His memories. It is six chapters of His life from 1917 till now. He lived in Western Kansas during the depression and the dust bowl.
You should look for a publisher. I know lots of people who would like to read that story, not just preppers but history buffs as well. I bet your dad would be thrilled to see his words in print:thumb:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
You should look for a publisher. I know lots of people who would like to read that story, not just preppers but history buffs as well. I bet your dad would be thrilled to see his words in print:thumb:
One thing He said was that before and after school He trapped skunks and sold the hides for .50 each and all of the money went to the family. He was the oldest boy in the family and the first to learn English. Him and His Uncle hooked a magneto from a model A up to a windmill to run the lights in the house.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
I dont need a book. 3 of 4 grandparents are still alive. spending time with them makes one realize how handy having a garden can be, or coming up with ways of reusing just about anything. they also manage thier money better than most.
same here my grandparents are still alive and 2 great grandparents (the third passed away few years back) my great grandmother and grandfather went through the great depression in the wiemar republic in germany ww2 and the years after ww2 when the riechmark was worthless and germany was completely destroyed my grandmother grew up in post war germany was pretty hard then as well

also alot of my friends at the lodge are older and have great stories to listen to about the depression ww2 korea there all in that age group mostly

1 - 20 of 30 Posts