Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone please direct me in the direction of a free wilderness/camping site. every place i saw online has a price tag associated. is there an area that anyone knows of that can be used or does no one on this forum actually do survival training and just read articles and books? i have posted this similar thread and can't get a straight answer. if anyone wants to get together and work on ideas and stuff (whilst in the woods) let me know. [email protected]

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Any particular area of the 47,213.79 square mile state your particularly interested in camping in/on; or are you willing to drive 6-10 hours to find a camping spot for free?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well first and foremost im a fellow devil dog too so Oorah Marine. secondly i did not want to travel that far i was aiming at 2-4 hours outside the city. i just want an open forest range that i can camp out. i plan on hunting small game like rabbits squirrels etc. so no weapons but knives will be involved. where in ny state are you located?

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
can anyone please direct me in the direction of a free wilderness/camping site. every place i saw online has a price tag associated. is there an area that anyone knows of that can be used or does no one on this forum actually do survival training and just read articles and books? i have posted this similar thread and can't get a straight answer. if anyone wants to get together and work on ideas and stuff (whilst in the woods) let me know. [email protected]
6 Million acre Adirondack Park. You should find a spot or two! Serously, there are many place there to "primative" camp, no charge but a 3 day limit....unless you find a ranger and then you can get a permit for up to 2 weeks. For exact locations try the Raybrook DEC HQ. My team hikes up there all the time. Have a trip set for 8/6/11, but my work is heavy right now. I will be up there this fall.

·
Registered
499 Posts
You can camp almost everywhere in the Catskills and almost everywhere in the Adirondacks for free. There are only two kinds of places that charge money: "developed" sites that usually have some kind of amenities like picnic table, fireplace, outhouse, etc, and undeveloped sites that charge for access to the lake they are on. I'll bet these two types make up less than 1% of the public camping in NYS, which is some of the best in the US. Great place to start is backpacker magazine online, which will show you dozens of great trips in your vicinity.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
You can camp almost everywhere in the Catskills and almost everywhere in the Adirondacks for free. There are only two kinds of places that charge money: "developed" sites that usually have some kind of amenities like picnic table, fireplace, outhouse, etc, and undeveloped sites that charge for access to the lake they are on. I'll bet these two types make up less than 1% of the public camping in NYS, which is some of the best in the US. Great place to start is backpacker magazine online, which will show you dozens of great trips in your vicinity.
Have not "explored" the Catskills yet....thanks for the reminder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts