Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really looking for a SHTF durable battle rifle. Preferably a G3 model. I started digging around and found the PTR-91 GI, with a mil-spec chamber for proper feeding/function. Anyone have any experience with them before I commit to buying one?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, took a really hard look between both the PTR-91 GI and a DS Arms FAL...to be exact the STG-58 model. I ended up with the 91 model dude to familiarity with it, weight distribution, super cheap surplus magazines, and I like the sights better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm mostly interested in the reliability of the PTR gi....I've heard rumors of a couple people having cracked trunnions...

·
Banned
1,388 Posts
The G3 is solid. And so is the FAL for that matter. Cracked trunnion? Never herd of that one. Even so if you get a new PTR and have an issue I've heard that the PTR customer service is top of the line.

I think if anything a CETME may give you issues. Not the PTR. PTRs are hand made here in the USA. I also have been looking into getting one. It's just money that keeps me from getting one.

Go for the G.I. model. They run $899 from CDNN investments. Cool thing is even tho you pay $900 for the rifle. Magazines are $00.99 and you can get stock sets for like $20.

I've played with a few of them and they seem the best made. Again the CETME didn't give me goose bumps like the PTR did. Love those rifles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My friend owned a Century CETME clone....it was a POS. Insufficient bolt gap, magwell wasn't in spec....there seemed to be burs in the cocking tube that required a beat to lock the action.......

My heart is pretty much set on the PTR-91 GI. So much that I went ahead and bought 20 magazines from CTD. They are now cleaned up and sitting on my shelf waiting for me to get enough money to purchase the PTR.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Last year I bought a PTR-91 GI and love it. The first thing I did was buy wood furniture for it to replace the ugly green plastic:

http://www.robertrtg.com/g3woodbuttstock.html

The rifle is pleasant to shoot and fairly accurate. Love the cheap, high-quality mags.

I went to Dan's ammo and purchased the plastic training ammo ($.16 a round) and bolt that will cycle it. Haven't taken it out to range yet, but hopefully will soon.

Still looking to get a FAL, but like this rifle a lot. Have only put brass mil-surp through it so far, but no problems yet.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Make sure you handle one before buying.
I researched and was convinced that the HK91 type was the way to go... then I held one.

I didn't like the ergonomics; front heavy, felt heavier that its weight, not comfortable for me at all. That's just me, see what you think. I ended up going M1A.

·
Getting there....
1,231 Posts
DO NOT purchase a Century CETME. I picked one up last summer and broke a zytel plastic punch to remove the retaining pins. Once I got it lubricated, reassembled, and the action smoothed out, it fired a few rounds, locked up, and would not cycle again. Luckily, my FFL made it good without involving Century at all because CIA will essentially tell you to go pound sand if you don't like it.

·
المتخلف&
5,508 Posts
I'm really looking for a SHTF durable battle rifle. Preferably a G3 model. I started digging around and found the PTR-91 GI, with a mil-spec chamber for proper feeding/function. Anyone have any experience with them before I commit to buying one?
Yea, there's about 2 dozen reviews on HKpr0. They are everything you expect...Good rifles, built very well, good fit and finish....and they eat tar sealed garbage. (Mind you the regular PTRs live off most everything, including steel cased dirty rusky stuff, and 180gr hunting loads just fine...unlike some other platforms...:cool:)

I'm mostly interested in the reliability of the PTR gi....I've heard rumors of a couple people having cracked trunnions...

GI0001 – GI0260 are the only GIs with possible issues, so you can ask/look at the rifle before hand, but only 50 total PTRs can be affected, and that goes for all models, and I hear most have already been exchanged. So it's rather unlikely you'll get one at this point....You will observe quickly decreasing bolt gap and a hairline crack on the outer trunnion if the problem exists. If your bolt gap falls quickly, pull off the handguard and check. If you are effected, it will replaced. This problem came about thanks to someone mixing pins intended for surplus milled out trunnions in with the new lot by mistake.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just bought a PTR GI second hand. Came with 24 mags, scope with rail and mounts, bipod hand guard, original hand guard and tri rail hand guard. Will be taking it out for a test drive tomorrow!

·
Registered
130 Posts
its the best deal going today for a 308 battle rifle. its more reliable then the ak47, mine shoots 2moa with wolf 308,1 moa with match ammo. mags are cheap,side folding stocks are 120bucks, its easy to scope. i used the MFI low profile scope mount and mounted a burris fullfield 2 ontop. its as accurate as a bolt gun. buy a hk21 heavy rubber recoil pad,these cut the recoil in half. also buy the wide forearm,the skinny ones heat up alot after 50rounds, you could get a paddle mag release and trigger job but i dont think they are needed. there more accurate then a standard m1a and cheaper. there more accurate then an fal(which shoots 4 moa with wolf and 2-3 moa with match) the ONLY drawback is no last round hold open.but for all the plusses its not that big of a deal

·
المتخلف&
5,508 Posts
its the best deal going today for a 308 battle rifle. its more reliable then the ak47, mine shoots 2moa with wolf 308,1 moa with match ammo. mags are cheap,side folding stocks are 120bucks, its easy to scope. i used the MFI low profile scope mount and mounted a burris fullfield 2 ontop. its as accurate as a bolt gun. buy a hk21 heavy rubber recoil pad,these cut the recoil in half. also buy the wide forearm,the skinny ones heat up alot after 50rounds, you could get a paddle mag release and trigger job but i dont think they are needed. there more accurate then a standard m1a and cheaper. there more accurate then an fal(which shoots 4 moa with wolf and 2-3 moa with match) the ONLY drawback is no last round hold open.but for all the plusses its not that big of a deal
You can do some trigger work yourself, a lathe, dremel and some files is all you need. For the newer PTRs it's not needed for practical use, as PTR has modified them from the factory to around 5-7lbs, which is around average for military rifles. Original HK triggers had a terrible trigger, a trigger job with the originals is an absolute must, not just for bench shooters or accuracy nuts, but for anyone, imho. I've done hundreds of trigger jobs through the years with HK rifles and pistols for clients, why HK never learned is beyond me. The PTRs now are pretty much good to go from the factory, so unless you're dying to break into the über sniper 3 quarter moa crowd, it's not needed.

The G.I. usually will not hit moa accuracy, but the standard with the shallow flutes, match bbl, and a nice trigger sure can. I've proven it myself on many occasions. By far the best value for a "poor mans" MBR or DMR, hell, even "sniper" for that matter.(All three of my PTRs outshoot my lower cost bolt guns (edge, stevens 200, and xs7)...that's saying something for a $1,000 combat rifle. M1a and FALs have many things better than the PTRs, but the PTRs have a fe things better than either of them as well.

I think for the price, it's a far better value, and universally more modular and dynamic, and much cheaper in overall cost, not just the rifle's price tag. It has even better reliability than an AK, with the accuracy of MBRs twice it's price. Just my opinion...a bias one, sure, but I have owned 'em all through the years and put tens of thousands of rounds down the pipes...of course it has it's cons too, terrible control placement, no BHO, heavy, etc. I suppose if it still had match accuracy, ak reliability, weighed 6 pounds, had BHO, AR controls and charging handle, it would be the world's bestseller, wouldn't it? Instead it has a lot of what "matters" and gets a facepalm for personal preferences and ergonomics. The actual G3 or HK91 is even worse than the PTR in this regard, because they universally lack the accuracy of PTRs, as well as fit and finish.

·
Registered
130 Posts
You can do some trigger work yourself, a lathe, dremel and some files is all you need. For the newer PTRs it's not needed for practical use, as PTR has modified them from the factory to around 5-7lbs, which is around average for military rifles. Original HK triggers had a terrible trigger, a trigger job with the originals is an absolute must, not just for bench shooters or accuracy nuts, but for anyone, imho. I've done hundreds of trigger jobs through the years with HK rifles and pistols for clients, why HK never learned is beyond me. The PTRs now are pretty much good to go from the factory, so unless you're dying to break into the über sniper 3 quarter moa crowd, it's not needed.

The G.I. usually will not hit moa accuracy, but the standard with the shallow flutes, match bbl, and a nice trigger sure can. I've proven it myself on many occasions. By far the best value for a "poor mans" DMR, hell, or MBR for that matter. M1a and FALs have many things better than the PTRs, but I think for the price, it's a far better value, and universally more modular and dynamic, and has even better reliability than an AK. Just my opinion...a bias one, sure, but I have owned 'em all through the years...
my ptr-91 gi is in the #3XXX,you think mine has that 5-7lb trigger? i havent tested it but it is heavy to my rem 760 which probably had a 4lb

i was debating sending it to bill springfield for a trigger job but you make it sound like its rather easy?

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
HK rifles have BAD triggers, always have. Agree that a trigger job is a must, Bill Springfield at Trigger Werks is one of the best! Bill can do this for you.

A mag latch is a must on these rifles. I don't know why the G3 copies state side don't have them because all the MP5s and HK33 copies do! Weird, but get those 2 things and you're pretty much set.

·
المتخلف&
5,508 Posts
my ptr-91 gi is in the #3XXX,you think mine has that 5-7lb trigger? i havent tested it but it is heavy to my rem 760 which probably had a 4lb

i was debating sending it to bill springfield for a trigger job but you make it sound like its rather easy?
It is pretty easy, and the HK trigger group is fairly simple and reliable, so it's not hard to master. Plus, if you're only wanting to make it just a little better and to play around with the mechanism, it's great just for that.

Bill does a wonderful job, I've never heard a single person not be very happy with his work, including myself. I have one of his lowers. Better than mine, because I just reduce excess materiel and polish it smooth, Bill really works it over and reduces play and over travel. But mine are also a fraction of the cost ;)

Yours is indeed one of the newer trigger packs ptr works over a bit. My lyman gauge puts their newer triggers from 5-7 pounds give or take. Before this, they were standard HK triggers with rough 10-12 pound pulls with a not quite 2 stage pull, a really terrible and awkward trigger for most U.S. shooters, and the trigger alone caused many people to turn away or sell their rifles...PTR actually cared enough to work this out, H&K NEVER did except for the PSG1/MSG. :mad:

All of my triggers are down to around 4.5 pounds, except one. Going any lower requires extra work to ensure safe function, as you can't just keep removing material without loosing proper sear engagement. This is part of why sniper rifle packs from H&K are ridiculously expensive...but you can achieve much the same result for a ton less money.

·
free man
626 Posts
Shot my sons PTR91 yesterday. First time using one besides my late brothers old HK91 years ago(along with his fairly rare Berreta BM59, which I liked). I found it shot accurate and reliably thru about 250rds of various .308 and 7.62 Nato loads. We also had my M1A Scout there as well for comparison.

Question.. Did the PTR91 ever come with this trigger group new from the factory? Meaning not the cheaper looking 'all one piece' plastic assembly I see frequently. It did indeed have a very heavy trigger pull, which I didn't like.

All in all, I liked it and feel it would do very well for its intended purpose.

This particular rifle was bought new for $1046. otd fwiw. Another reason why I ask regarding the trigger group.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I've never seen the Army trigger group on a PTR from the factory, only the Navy groups (plastic). I like the Army trigger group better, that's just me.

Get yourself a mag latch and a trigger job and you'll never look back.

·
المتخلف&
5,508 Posts
Shot my sons PTR91 yesterday. First time using one besides my late brothers old HK91 years ago(along with his fairly rare Berreta BM59, which I liked). I found it shot accurate and reliably thru about 250rds of various .308 and 7.62 Nato loads. We also had my M1A Scout there as well for comparison.

Question.. Did the PTR91 ever come with this trigger group new from the factory? Meaning not the cheaper looking 'all one piece' plastic assembly I see frequently. It did indeed have a very heavy trigger pull, which I didn't like.

All in all, I liked it and feel it would do very well for its intended purpose.

This particular rifle was bought new for $1046. otd fwiw. Another reason why I ask regarding the trigger group.
It's extremely unlikely, but maybe possible, it looks like it's finish is matched pretty well, and it is a 91 lower, not a G3. Only the early JLD PTRs came with them iirc. It was bought new from a shop with it? Recently? Looks like an older PTR for sure, but not sure if it's a JLD, doesn't really look like it. If you drop the prefix and first couple digits of the serial I can tell you for sure.

The one thing I've always disagreed with PTR on, is the specific type of navy lower they use. It's not actually an HK91 navy lower, but an HK93/94 type, and has a narrower grip. I much prefer the H&K91/G3 navy to the PTR navy for this reason...and luckily an actual hk navy lower is only $50, as is the steel version,a nd that includes the F/A g3 trigger pack. You can buy "clipped and pinned" steel frame lowers for around $60 that will fit right in, or do it yourself and just drop your trigger box into it.

The trigger can make a serious difference in how liked the rifle can be by the end user, and HK has been at fault for not working on it for years, for many models, not just the 91...but they generally don't care. Because you suck, and they hate you. That's why I love PTR so much, they simply make better 91 rifles than HK actually did, and they continue to perfect their take on G3 pattern rifles with slight changes here and there based on user feedback, and performance. When they start coming standard with longer safety and cocking levers, they'll get get more positive reviews, because aside from the triggers, that's the only other complaints I really know of that's actually fixable, ergonomically.

·
free man
626 Posts
Awesome. And thanks for the info guys. The rifle came from my late brother as well. My son inherited it, and until yesterday I'd not had a chance to shot it. The rifle looked in great-if not new condition. but knowing my brother(surprisingly I didn't know he even had it. we've always shared our love of firearms our entire lives) he could have gotten it a few years ago, and just hadn't gotten around to using it since I think it was more of a backup rifle to his other .308s(for this rifle he also had 13 steel and alum mags. 5200rds of quality .308, but that was also feeding 3 rifles). He was that way. He (and I as well) had been a core prepper since the late 70s and had amassed and finely tuned what most here would consider a complete and substantial arsenal(besides this rifle and off the top of my head was an SR556, AR15, Steyr Scout, 5 1022s of various configs, Ruger 77/22, Kimber .22 SVT, CZ 452 .22, M1A, Ruger .44 carbine, Thompson-Center with various barrels, 870 w 2 barrel(2000rds), 8 highend handguns, ...and several others. Anyway, he always kept all and any paperwork including the receipt for a given gun, and had for the PTR. But while at teh range, I only glanced at it for the price paid. I even took a pic of the packet that came with it. Obviously I need to look harder at the receipt like the date and where it came from.

---As I reviewed this pic while making this post, I can actually see the top of the upsidedown receipt in the pic above. It says "Adventure Outdoors", a place he and I both have bought firearms from for years. They almost always only sell new.

So.. I know its common to swap out the trigger group, so by what I'm hearing, is he either did the swap out..or it came with the 91 lower and is an earlier rifle.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts