Survivalist Forum banner

Any experience with one of these?

1259 Views 19 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  John Galt 1
Camera accessory Bicycle part Cylinder Auto part Font
I would like to keep some personal size flashlights in my car. I presently have some but I don't think the cold winters are going to make them very dependable. Cold kills batteries. Ask someone who has an electric vehicle in North Dakota, etc :ROFLMAO: There is an empty space in the dash of my car. I have seen inserts for it that contain up to 4 of the "cigarette lighter" plugs. Would this be a more dependable source? It would be really cool if they made a stun gun the same size and configuration.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
4,486 Posts
I don’t know about that one. This is the one I have. It’s either in my pocket, charging, or in the car. It’s actually brighter than a mini mag and it carved via usb.

Limited-time deal: RovyVon Aurora A1x Keychain EDC Flashlight, 650 High Lumens Super Bright Pocket USB Rechargeable Mini Flashlight with Clip for Camping, Hiking, Emergencies(Blue) https://a.co/d/fDxN34i

· Registered
EDC, GHB, and loads of chocolate!
1,195 Posts
We're not fans of dedicated rechargeable torches.
So we only use AA Alkaline batteries.
A common enough size found right around the world.
Some think they aren't bright enough for survival purposes.
Depends on what you've got in mind.
We use them on our 223 rifles when rabbit clearing.
If you can pick out a rabbit at 30 meters clearly enough to sight it though a scope, I figure it's bright enough for most things.

· Registered
5,186 Posts
A common enough size found right around the world.
Some think they aren't bright enough for survival purposes.
Depends on what you've got in mind.
We use them on our 223 rifles when rabbit clearing.
If you can pick out a rabbit at 30 meters clearly enough to sight it though a scope, I figure it's bright enough for most things.
Paul,

My view also.

· Registered
389 Posts
Everyone has their preferences. I edc a 500 lumen light with good spill to compliment my firearm. I edc a bigger light than most to better utilize the harries grip.

I care about alot of factoes for my light- but in relation to this post i have found that i really like the streamlight 18650 batteries. They have a built in micro usb charger so i can charge my light anywhere at anytime. I will say that it is a slow charge, but that preserves battery function for long term usage.

Cylinder Office supplies Auto part Font Bicycle part

· Always Loaded
3,460 Posts
No experience with that one. I've learned a thing or two over the years. There are a few things you just don't go cheap on. Guns, optics, medical gear, and flashlights. They will work great, until you really need them.

· Registered
1,209 Posts
Watch out for lights that use proprietary batteries. Olight and a couple others are taking that route. Then your only choice ifor spare batteries is to buy them from the company who makes the light. :(

· Premium Member
18,331 Posts
I use both. The rechargeables save me money in the long run, the battery units are on standby.

..... in relation to this post i have found that i really like the streamlight 18650 batteries. They have a built in micro usb charger so i can charge my light anywhere at anytime. I will say that it is a slow charge, but that preserves battery function for long term usage.
Me too. I have two lights and three batteries in my truck. One light on the gun, one in a door pocket, one spare battery in the center console. If things go nuts, the C123A will also fit the lights, and I have a light (TLR1) that ONLY uses those, so I have "a few" of those batteries.

Watch out for lights that use proprietary batteries. Olight and a couple others are taking that route. Then your only choice for spare batteries is to buy them from the company who makes the light. :(
At the price of the OLight....I'll just buy another complete light, and still be ahead of my Streamlight TLR in cost after buying the batteries required to last as long as the Olight did. I have a Baldr and a Valkyrie. Excellent lights, and I can recharge them while on the gun, which is nice for the Baldr, as it's also a laser. Both came with QD attachments as well.

· Always Loaded
3,460 Posts
Watch out for lights that use proprietary batteries. Olight and a couple others are taking that route. Then your only choice ifor spare batteries is to buy them from the company who makes the light. :(
That's odd. I haven't seen that. I have several StreamLights. 3 of them are "dual fuel" taking both CR123 or AA batteries.

· Desperta Ferro!
2,888 Posts
Peetpen. 2000 lumens. Multiple brightness settings. Rechargeable. Stuffed 2 in GHB in trunk (100°+ summers to 16°f winters) for over a year, both still fully charged and ready to rock. 'Nuff said.

BTW, the RovyVon is also a winner.
You can't go wrong with any of their lights.

· Registered
1,254 Posts
Oh God, Flashlights.... so many thoughts here from someone who uses a flashlight at least a few minutes a night.

We live on pasture with sightlines well over 300 yds during our nightly walks. D cell were too heavy for easy pocket carry. AA cell weren't strong enough. We usually leave the light off as we walk. While expensive rechargeable 18650 battery lights easily showed deer eyes 400 yds away and were small enough tuck in a pocket or attach to a rifle barrel for the occasional varmint. Expensive but for daily use worth it.

For most people in less open areas 2 AA battery size would probably be a good choice.; lightweight and easy to put in a pocket.
If the houses or trees are within 60' of one another go for a wider beam which means more than 1 led. We give 4 led lights out for Christmas presents to friends and family that live in denser urban areas or heavy trees.
But for super long throws in a smaller light a single bulb works better.

After settling on the rechargeable 18650 battery size 9 years ago we played with several brands before settling on ThruNite TN-10 and TH-12. We also have a fat four 18650 battery spotlight which is unbelievable bright but rarely used because the beam is so narrow it makes searching a large pasture hard.

But like I said before a light with a broader beam with 3-4 leds may be a better choice in a more congested environment.

After 9 years using Panasonic Orbitrobic18650 batteries every battery still works well and none of the NiteCore flashlights have failed. I've learned to only buy lights with tail-cap switches for easier use.

Since most people live in a more congested area (homes and trees) than we do I'd suggest this light if your wallet allows. Amazon.com: Nitecore P20iX 4000 Lumen USB-C Rechargeable Tactical Flashlight with LumenTac Organizer : Sports & Outdoors
I've played with this light and while it doesn't use a 18650 battery it seems to be a great choice.out ot 120 yds with a wide beam spread. Unfortunately it doesn't use a 18650 battery so not on my list.

just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts