Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how many diehard 10mm fans are here on this forum?I have several 10mmers in my handgun battery.I've been using the G-20 pretty much since it's introduction,it started as a duty gun first then took over the hunting role with the 6" Glock hunting barrel installed.My first 10mm was the Colt Delta Elite which served me well for many years but is retirement in the gunsafe now.I've also got several S&W 10s.A 1076 VA. State Police trade-in,a 1006,a couple of 610s a 4"barreled model and picked up yesterday the one I've been searching for quite sometime,the 610 3"barrel,roundbutt.This is one nice piece and it brought a premium on Gunbroker when I won the bid,I hope it's going to be worth it.Also a late edition to my 10mm battery is a Kimber CustomStainless Target II,this is how 1911s in 10mm should be made,a absolute tackdriver.If I add another it'll be a G-29.I'll get into ammo for the 10 when I see where this post goes

·
DILIGENTIA VIS CELERITAS
727 Posts
10mm is a good concept, but got a bad rap because of the Bren-10. I want to remember that it was not the gun but the magazines that were not good. I like the round but opted to go to .40 instead because it is more readily available (and cheaper). The Practical club I belong to has a shooter who uses a Glock model 20? Full size 10mm and it is a cannon. He blows the crap out of pepper poppers.Whatever loads he uses seem more powerful than the .45's and the open class guys .38 supers. He can wing them and they still go down. I am pretty set for handguns but I would never rule out owning a 10mm.

·
Plinker
746 Posts
Wasn't Elmer Keith the father of the 10mm? He was a big fan of the 45ACP and felt a 40 cal auto would pack more punch than a 45 in velocity and energy. Not to knock the 10mm, but I'm with NEWGUY on the 40 S&W, which would be my next pick for a pistol.

·
barking at the moon
245 Posts
Ive had a Glock 20 since the mid ninetys and havent had any problems with it . Only one FTF and that was using reloaded ammo. Ammo is gettin pretty expensive tho. Just bought a couple of new magizines for it 20$ ea. only can get the 10 rounders livin in CA . Lots of fun to shoot! Its got a bit of snap!

ED

·
DILIGENTIA VIS CELERITAS
727 Posts
Wasn't Elmer Keith the father of the 10mm? He was a big fan of the 45ACP and felt a 40 cal auto would pack more punch than a 45 in velocity and energy. Not to knock the 10mm, but I'm with NEWGUY on the 40 S&W, which would be my next pick for a pistol.
I don't know if Elmer Keith was in it, he could have. I know Col Jeff Cooper was involved with it. The Idea was to combine the stopping power of a .45 with the capacity of a 9mm. 10mm does that IMO. For me the .40 seems to be the happy medium between .45 and .40. .40 cal is basically a 10mm with a shorter case and lower powder charge.

·
Plinker
746 Posts
I don't know if Elmer Keith was in it, he could have. I know Col Jeff Cooper was involved with it. The Idea was to combine the stopping power of a .45 with the capacity of a 9mm. 10mm does that IMO. For me the .40 seems to be the happy medium between .45 and .40. .40 cal is basically a 10mm with a shorter case and lower powder charge.
You may be right, I forgot about Cooper.

·
Registered
104 Posts
10mm being more powerful than a 357 mag is a great choice just wish ammo availability was there. 40's just don't compare IMHO.

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
I firmly believe that the 10mm is the ultimate handgun cartridge. I love it. There is a reason the .40S&W was called the "40 short&weak". It's just a castrated 10mm Auto. I don't own one, but my father has a custom built 10mm 1911 with a stainless Essex frame, Clark barrell, and a whole bunch of high dollar internals. It's beautiful, and hits like Thor's hammer. It's his carry piece, and I pity the poor bastard who has to take a full-house 10mm round center mass. Watch out for some of the commercial "personal protection" stuff though. It's way downloaded to .40S&W specs. I am a big 10mm fan, and am currently saving for a Delta Elite. What an awesome round, and I wish it had a stronger following. That would convince ammo mfgrs. to start cranking out some good full house loads for it with modern JHP's. It would also permanently end the whole silly 9mm vs. 40 vs. 45ACP debate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts