Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
City Survivior
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This could maybe go in the DIY section but any of the wilderness people have any antler pieces they would be willing to part with/ sell I have an idea of taking apart my blast match and mounting the rod into an antler and almost making a necklace out of it but it would slide inside another piece. So it would just look like a piece of antler until pulled apart.

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
get out and have some fun for yourself!

i normally "Shed" hunt up in the mountains 2 or 3 times a year. all you have to do is find areas (ask the local friendlies) about where the deer spend time in late winter-early spring and go looking for dropped antlers. i usually find 3-4 /year and i get great excercise! not only that, you've become self reliant and can get the antlers for "free". Also, forgot to add, if you know where the deer hole up you will know where to hunt if times get hard. best of luck!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not sure about other states but bow season opens the first Saturday of October in Virginia. Bucks are in velvet until mid Sept. Might have better luck in three months when hunting seasons start to open.

·
Survivus most anythingus
3,874 Posts
This could maybe go in the DIY section but any of the wilderness people have any antler pieces they would be willing to part with/ sell I have an idea of taking apart my blast match and mounting the rod into an antler and almost making a necklace out of it but it would slide inside another piece. So it would just look like a piece of antler until pulled apart.
Hey Dude, shoot me a PM. I have some antler to spare for ya. :cool:

·
City Survivior
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks brushy I'm in yuma, Arizona right this second nut should be home around 1 or 2 in the morning I'm gonna draw up my idea for antler fire steel but I need some input on how I should attach 2 pieces

·
Survivus most anythingus
3,874 Posts
Thanks brushy I'm in yuma, Arizona right this second nut should be home around 1 or 2 in the morning I'm gonna draw up my idea for antler fire steel but I need some input on how I should attach 2 pieces
Gorilla Glue or J-B Weld, most certainly!

·
City Survivior
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was gonna use jb to attach the rod to antler but I wanna use a whole point. and have something like a half inch nub with a slight step down then the fire rod and drill out the other piece so the 2 pieces push together and look like one point but the rod is inside. not sure if I could thread it? Or just use an o ring to aid in retention

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
I would have go locate them but I have a few antlers in the storage shed. We find quite afew of them out here, I have mostly deer antler and one elk set still attached to skull I believe.

About the only thing I use them for is flakeing arrowheads.

If you were willing to pay shipping costs you are welcome to some, I will have my son Nate find them in next few days and I can post pics and size measurments.

We have found three sets of sheds in 7 years in flat tractor tires...... not the fun way to find them.... not real good for the sheds either I guess...

If you wanted some really good antler and are willing to pay, there is a guy here runs a company called "Line of bull, antlers and sheds" or something like that, next time I see him I could get his number, every time I see him he has a 1 ton truck loaded 6 feet high with sheds. He has a mixture of deer, elk and moose sheds from around here.

One thing I have learned with antler is watch where you store the antlers, mice like to chew on them.

Hope this is helpfull.

·
City Survivior
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would have go locate them but I have a few antlers in the storage shed. We find quite afew of them out here, I have mostly deer antler and one elk set still attached to skull I believe.

About the only thing I use them for is flakeing arrowheads.

If you were willing to pay shipping costs you are welcome to some, I will have my son Nate find them in next few days and I can post pics and size measurments.

We have found three sets of sheds in 7 years in flat tractor tires...... not the fun way to find them.... not real good for the sheds either I guess...

If you wanted some really good antler and are willing to pay, there is a guy here runs a company called "Line of bull, antlers and sheds" or something like that, next time I see him I could get his number, every time I see him he has a 1 ton truck loaded 6 feet high with sheds. He has a mixture of deer, elk and moose sheds from around here.

One thing I have learned with antler is watch where you store the antlers, mice like to chew on them.

Hope this is helpfull.
I would absolutely be willing to pay you shipping any pics would be great and they don't have to be super quality I have never worked with antler before I will have to try a couple prototypes before I invest in quality stuff

·
Registered
154 Posts
my 2 cents..... id go with two magnets the soft ones you can get at a craft store cut to fit and glue to each piece... velcro would work too but it'd be noisy.

·
Bergmann Field-Craft, AK
112 Posts
I have some spare moose antler pieces id be happy to help you out with..i can spare a finger or two..pretty large..

let me know.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you dont get what you need from the above offers just let me know and I can send you some cut tips or a a whole rack either way. I do have some narrow points that came off a nontypical that would be good for you want to do. also try a small clasp latch to keep the cap.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have never worked with antler before I will have to try a couple prototypes before I invest in quality stuff
Sounds like your project is very doable. I made 3 handles for firesteels by partially drilling out the core and supergluing the firesteels in the holes. The cover side would need some sort of retaining device. An O ring would work initially but as you use the steel, the diameter would change and it would no longer work.

·
City Survivior
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sounds like your project is very doable. I made 3 handles for firesteels by partially drilling out the core and supergluing the firesteels in the holes. The cover side would need some sort of retaining device. An O ring would work initially but as you use the steel, the diameter would change and it would no longer work.
That's why I would put the o ring I'm the antler I will post pics once I get a hold of some antler

·
Bergmann Field-Craft, AK
112 Posts
SoCal...Im gonna take some pictures for you tonight or tomorrow..I think the moose parts might be too large but illlet you decide.. They are fircken HUGE. Youll look like a T-rex hunter sporting his trophy of a T-rex claw around your neck...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts