Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting article about an anti-virus update that caused computers to start rebooting. Whats more interesting, is that some hospitals had to stop elective surgeries. Unless you were in a car wreck, gun shot victim, or something that might be fatal - you were turned away from the hospital.

What kind of world do we live in where a simple software update forces hospitals to stop treating people? Is our society "really" that fragile?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100421/ap_on_hi_te/us_tec_mcafee_antivirus_flaw

The computer problem forced about a third of the hospitals in Rhode Island to postpone elective surgeries and stop treating patients without traumas in emergency rooms, said Nancy Jean, a spokeswoman for the Lifespan system of hospitals. The system includes Rhode Island Hospital, the state's largest, and Newport Hospital. Jean said patients who required treatment for gunshot wounds, car accidents, blunt trauma and other potentially fatal injuries were still being admitted to the emergency rooms.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
The McAfee update shut down our networks yesterday. I work for a state government agency. It affected all subscribers to the McAfee corporate edition softwares who went through the automatic update.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
Exactly. Stupidity on the part of the hospital staff and administration.

Funny how we did surgery and cared for sick people before computers.

Hey, here's an idea ... use a pen and paper or a chalk or dry erase board to post the surgeries list, etc. rather than the computer when it is down?

This kind of stuff drives me nuts.

It reminds me of the time I was in a grocery store in Miami in the 1980's buying pre-hurricane supplies. The power went out, and the cashier and manager said we couldn't buy anything because the electronic cash register was down.

What?

I said haven't they heard of writing with a pen or pencil and paper the purchases, taking the customers money, adding and subtracting and making change in your head or on paper and THEN transferring the actual purchases into the store electronic database after the power comes on?

Yes, it's labour intensive, but you don't turn down sales because the power is out. Insanity.

Interesting article about an anti-virus update that caused computers to start rebooting. Whats more interesting, is that some hospitals had to stop elective surgeries. Unless you were in a car wreck, gun shot victim, or something that might be fatal - you were turned away from the hospital.

What kind of world do we live in where a simple software update forces hospitals to stop treating people? Is our society "really" that fragile?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100421/ap_on_hi_te/us_tec_mcafee_antivirus_flaw

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
My wife is now being trained on a robotic surgery system called DaVinci. It would allow a doctor located in say LA to control and operate on a person in NY. It works via the internet.

Any volunteers?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just the tip of the iceberg....

I WORK in a Hospital. I just left there about two hours ago. Our big problem of the night was our medication computer's re-chargeable battery won't hold a charge. So we take it down the hallway to pass medications--and it dies. So now you need to pass your medications with a cart that is taken from socket to socket. So you plug it in and turn it back on--Right? Oh no. Can't do that. The computer tower is locked inside the medication cart. The only way to get to it is with a key or a Reciprocating saw. So of course all we need to do is get the key which is EASY. NOT!!!! No one in the hospital has the key. The key is only given to the computer dudes who are on call 24/7 and available anytime! So we just call them? No problem to call, but even though their contract says 24/7 it is common knowledge they will not come to the hospital during the off hours. So we have a computer that is working fine, except for the fact the battery will only hold a charge for a short period of time, not nearly long enough to even get thru 1/4 of the medication pass. And, all we need to do to fix this problem, to at least make it thru the night, is push the on/off button on the console. But of course we cannot access that.

When all of our gizmos fail--our patient's don't get good care. And our gizmos fail nightly. It is beyond frustrating.

Now, if you would like me to go on...I could tell you about the scanners for the resident's bracelets we are suppose to use which don't work, the desktops which don't work, the Blood sugar machine which also has a scanner which does not work. But of course we are still suppose to make sure all of our fine resident's get their medications on time without a hitch. Oh no, you've had a hitch and the medications are going to be a little bit late and this will not harm the resident in any way? No problem--just make sure they get their medications, AFTER, the computer forces you to make a comment as to WHY you are late. So you get later and later because you are forced to make a comment stating why you are late. FOR EACH PILL. So you are late on three residents at the end of a three hour medication pass--and these three residents have 20 pills. That will be 20 automatically generated notes you have to answer before you can give out these medications. Oh yeah.

Oh, and by the way, while this is going on room 21 wants the heat raised in the room, the family in 24 wants to know if they can break the rules and stay past visiting hours, three resident's are asking for pain medication, staff are saying they don't have the right size pj's for the residents tonight, the demented guy is ringing his call light over and over and over again because he would like some ice cream, and the resident in room 26 is on the floor which means you need to write an incident report and fill out paperwork for about an hour and figure out a way to get him down the ER to be checked when you are so short staffed you can't afford to let any of your staff go off the floor for 20 minutes to take him to the ER.

Family members can be a real problem. Why you are worried sick about the fact "Daddy" has a rash on his arm and he really needs something to stop it from itching--we've got a guy down the hallway with active bleeding, respitory problems, trying to hurt himself, etc. etc. We'll get to Daddy's itch as soon as we can, but in the meantime, get the out of the way and SHUT UP. Of course I can't say this, but I think it. The problem is, everyone thinks their problem is the only one and they think they are the only patient in the hospital. For the staff, it is a matter of priority. I run my ass off to help patients all night long. I have to use good sense to take care of the ones most seriously ill while at the same time managing staff, family members, supervisors who drift in, and every other problem that comes up. When I get interrupted with BS problems from families, that takes away critical time from the critical resident. People don't understand this. I've learned to manage the family in a "nice way," but it still takes my time and I hate that. Whew am I venting tonight or what?

The computer problems are just the tip of the iceberg.

Sorry for the off topic rant but it has been one of those nights.
If you can't rant to your survival friends who can you rant to.
I wish I was out in the middle of the woods RIGHT NOW!

Welcome to my job.

And my answer to your question Kev is YES. We are fragile. Look at people walking down the street glued to their Blackberry, Ipod, Cell phone. Who is it they need to talk to so badly that they can't stop blabbing in the WalMat produce section and bother the hell out of me with their one sided conversation? If God would have wanted us to have one way conversations with ourselves he would have made us all mentally ill. Yes we are fragile because we have grown dependent on computers and electronics, and when they go down, we go down. It is a crazy world. I just want to go back to the good old days: a pencil, paper and two of those tin cans with a string between them to talk to my friends.

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
:upsidedown:Computer antivirus closes hospitals resulting in increase in human provirus.:upsidedown:

Ah, the dark comedy. This is what Futurists call the singularity.

·
Threepin'
4,084 Posts
My wife is now being trained on a robotic surgery system called DaVinci. It would allow a doctor located in say LA to control and operate on a person in NY. It works via the internet.

Any volunteers?
ha. i'll pass.

Reactions: The Saint

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,685 Posts
When our computer fails, screw it, write down what you need on paper and keep treating the patient. It really is that simple.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
OP, thanks, this is particularly relevant since the local paper's morning headlines tell us that area doctors are putting together a net system so they can all share medical records online. (my records among them!!!)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have been following this since it happenned and it's just nuts that this was not QA'ed better by mcoffee, that's why we use symantec. Not to say they are the best, but IMO they're better. The fact that they closed the hospital is pretty crappy don't they have pen and paper? Did they forget how to write? Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen on so many levels.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.