Survivalist Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to sound morbid, or like a killer, or crazy. But is there some literature on anti-personnel traps? I don't mean using explosives either. Your basic snares, trip lines etc for perimeter defense. I would imagine it would come in handy if things got so bad that you had to box yourself into your home.

After your neighbors starve or leave and you and your family are alone or one of the last in the area, eventually roaming bands of people will show up. Either hostile or friendly.

I am serious about this. Personally I would post signs warning that no mercy will be given to trespassers but with a way for friendlies to alert us of their presence for bartering / trade. (of course supposed friendlies could really be hostile)

·
Registered
861 Posts
You can find out how to make all kinds of traps and he best place to put them. The hard part is keeping one of your family out of them. That's what would worry the heck out of me.
They would come in handy around your place.

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well if you had a good sized perimeter then it's not an issue of wandering. In that situation I don't think I would let my kids wander out of my sight.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
***removed by mod*****
:thumb: I would think something similar with 12ga shells would work. Personally the thought of these scares the hell outa me. I would only use in extreme scenerios where areas were sectioned off as no mans land. Signs and barriers would be good too. Besides proper set up can force people into feilds of fire.

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well using ammo in a snare would probably get you in trouble, but other snare and trap systems are hunting tools as well.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
I think it would be o.k. to discuss non-injury producing perimeter defences and alerts. It is a topic that has been discussed before so I expect (but haven't tried) that a forum search on 'perimeter defence' would turn something up.

Cheers,
-Per.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't know if this site has in the "survival files" or not, but you can look it up on the web. Your looking for the U.S. Army Field Manual on Boobytraps.

·
Big,Hairy and Smelly
129 Posts
If one were so inclined, I'm sure you could download pdf files using a bittorrent search engine.Of course, no one here would do such a thing.

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
SAS survival guide has some excellent traps, deadfalls, arrow release traps, spikes on trees etc all you need to know for defense and trapping, depending on your needs as what will kill an animal will kill a human.
Had to add to this that these are designed for trapping animals NOT humans, bear in mind that this book was written for the forces originally and may be okay to use alternatively in times of war, not peace.

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
Posting topics of an illegal nature causes trouble for Kev and may result in your being banned from this site.
As the previous poster advised, be very careful here. Directions for booby trapping with the intent to harm others is not something we can allow on this board. Please don't post it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I don't want to sound morbid, or like a killer, or crazy. But is there some literature on anti-personnel traps? I don't mean using explosives either. Your basic snares, trip lines etc for perimeter defense. I would imagine it would come in handy if things got so bad that you had to box yourself into your home.

After your neighbors starve or leave and you and your family are alone or one of the last in the area, eventually roaming bands of people will show up. Either hostile or friendly.

I am serious about this. Personally I would post signs warning that no mercy will be given to trespassers but with a way for friendlies to alert us of their presence for bartering / trade. (of course supposed friendlies could really be hostile)
Probably not a good idea, but I hear what you are saying, I'll try to comment as controversy free as possible, and with respect to kev and board policy.

You can't CREATE a danger with snares, etc., even on your own property. Plus, they would be a hassle to maintain AND concentrate on day-to-day living, loved ones wandering into them, etc. If you want something dynamic, there are commercially available, battery-operated alarm signals that you attach on the door and the jamb, and when the door is opened it pulls a pin and makes a loud noise until you put the pin back in. Great for doors and windows.

However, a barbed-wire fence around a car lot is a perfectly legal way to protect their interests, and is effective because the open presence makes one think it isn't worth the hassle. So historically, barbed-wire fences are used to keep things in...and out.

Following the aforementioned logic of static perimeter defense, what protected a perimeter before barbed-wire? You can look to medieval history to answer that question. Again, mantraps are illegal. However, calling on the example of the barbed-wire fence it seems that it is legal if the danger is pointed straight up, not out.

Also, there is the perimeter of your home, of your yard, and of your street. You can find the Army field manual for Countermobility. This the application of roadblocks using bollards, logs, and other debris to slow down cars and people. You in your home against the world aren't such great odds, however you and your neighbors against the world, the odds are better if only slightly. I find muffin baskets are a wonderful icebreaker to transition to the topic of post-apocalyptic neighborhood watch programs.

What to do in a SHTF scenario? Maybe pile up as much debris as possible around windows in order to create specific access points. Great for onesy-twosy looters, but there isn't much you can do to protect yourself from overwhelming numbers of desperate people.

Ultimately, do you want to look like you have something to protect?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Just buy a copy of the US Army Manual "Booby Traps" .
In fact, I recommend ALL of the US Army manuals, Survival, Improvised Munitions, Map Reading, etc. They're cheap and full of great info.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.