Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after my last trip I decided to make a few changes and the most important one was that my 'Bivi's' just weren't up to the challenge, I've had them since 1990 and they were seriously tired... Not to mention that my First Aid Kit needed to be upgraded, after what happened the last time... I also realised that I battled to carry all my kit, I'd packed items that were completely unnecessary and just added weight...

So, fresh trip, new 'Bivi' I had manufactured & less kit... I also bought a new 'Kalemba' which within the first few uses proved completely useless as the handle just disintegrated, supporting the advice on most survival platforms, to test your gear & I'm glad I did.

I was also able to salvage an old fishing net and went about building an excellent hammock that served us well during the weekend... :thumb: The amount of useable salvage on the beach is astounding... :eek:

We caught stacks of fish, roasted fish heads on a stick are excellent!!!

I've added a few photos and there's a link to a video I made... Don't worry gents, I disabled GPS location on all devices prior to taking the photos and making the video... :D:

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Well after my last trip I decided to make a few changes and the most important one was that my 'Bivi's' just weren't up to the challenge, I've had them since 1990 and they were seriously tired... Not to mention that my First Aid Kit needed to be upgraded, after what happened the last time... I also realised that I battled to carry all my kit, I'd packed items that were completely unnecessary and just added weight...

So, fresh trip, new 'Bivi' I had manufactured & less kit... I also bought a new 'Kalemba' which within the first few uses proved completely useless as the handle just disintegrated, supporting the advice on most survival platforms, to test your gear & I'm glad I did.

I was also able to salvage an old fishing net and went about building an excellent hammock that served us well during the weekend... :thumb: The amount of useable salvage on the beach is astounding... :eek:

We caught stacks of fish, roasted fish heads on a stick are excellent!!!

I've added a few photos and there's a link to a video I made... Don't worry gents, I disabled GPS location on all devices prior to taking the photos and making the video... :D:

Here's the video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQvv0n_3NLg
This is lekker stuff. Good for you. Keep it up.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
seems like a nice camping trip. What were some of the biggest weight items that were unnecessary?
Last time I took 25 litres of water, to heavy and not needed for the time that I was there, 10 litres was enough... I was also able to find a 'fresh' water source, so that's going to change things... I took a large spade instead of fold-up one, impractical and difficult to carry... As smaller axe (tomahawk) worked just fine compared to a large cumbersome one... Less clothes, I definitely took too much with the last time... One or two knives is completely adequate, although having said that, choose them carefully.

You know I'm so use so just driving to where I need to go, but when it's a 5km hike and the convenience of using your bakkie is gone, your perspective certainly changes... :eek:

And then of course taking 'stuff' for others, it's a problem of mine... I need to learn that it's each to his own, if you don't bring enough for yourself then it's not my problem... Especially when it comes to food, I often pack enough for a small army when in actual fact it's really not my problem... I actually think it's because I pack for everyone that others do not pack for themselves, well this is definitely changing, folks are quickly learning, but having said that I am certainly part of the problem... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So here we are, a man is classified and accepted (or not) by the colour of his skin... You are exactly what is wrong with this country, your bias and belief in your own colour shall be your demise... I have stronger words to use for you, but I would rather not... My history with this man and how he has been an integral part of my past is lost on folk like you, you have no idea who he is or what he is... Who are you to pass judgment?

·
‘n Boer maak ‘n plan
1,344 Posts
ZX, I hear you, hear me. Like you I grew up here in Natal, still here, the land of the Zulu. We have far more intimate knowledge and understanding of Nguni culture than most white people from other provinces. Our perception, by virtue of our location, makes for some balance. Guys is GP, who have never slept in their huts or played klei lat en kak as a kid op die plaas saam vis en speel, will never understand.

ZX, you and I are fully aware of the dark side of their culture. If you did not then you would not prep / be a member on this site.

ZX, we both know how conflict is resolved within Nguni culture. You know very well how most feel about us mlungu. They hate us, are told by the president of South Africa to kill us - on live TV. Shoot he Boer! That for every white they kill it is one job for a black.

ZX, our knowledge might get us past the first roadblock, but by God you are making a mistake to dismiss the likes of KK. He might not know the fine nuances of Nguni culture But he is far more in touch with our predicament than you seem to be.

·
Registered
101 Posts
So here we are, a man is classified and accepted (or not) by the colour of his skin... You are exactly what is wrong with this country, your bias and belief in your own colour shall be your demise... I have stronger words to use for you, but I would rather not... My history with this man and how he has been an integral part of my past is lost on folk like you, you have no idea who he is or what he is... Who are you to pass judgment?
Actually true Afrikaans and others know race is more than just a color. The skin color BS is a line the liberal retards use.

***** Africans are racially different from Afrikaans people who are under a lot of danger from such types thanks to the end of apartite (which means separate development).

Congrats on your bug-out moves and adventures too btw.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the input gents, including KK's... End of the day there are no perfect Whites, nor are there any perfect Blacks, and so for all the races in between... However, the overall average is certainly skewed due to population differences.

KK, you have your beliefs/convictions and so do I... I'm well aware of where you are coming from and definitely not blind to what you are saying... Sadly you will never understand just who and what he is, but that's fine... I've employed 100's of Blacks and just as many Whites and Indians, this guy is different, very, very different... Just to give you some insight, he's named is second son after me and has a portrait tattoo on his chest of my wife and I (I'll post it, if you'd like), I know, that's weird, but it's the truth.

In a perfect world, it would be great if you could meet him, you'd understand then... But the world is not perfect... :thumb:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've been battling with purchased tarps/bivi's, so decided to design this one and have it manufactured... It's double stitched 'toggles', waterproof and heavy duty... The best part of all it's not that heavy either.

A friend of mine here in Richards Bay 'built' it for me... PM if you'd like to know more.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've been battling with purchased tarps/bivi's, so decided to design this one and have it manufactured... It's double stitched 'toggles', waterproof and heavy duty... The best part of all it's not that heavy either.

A friend of mine here in Richards Bay 'built' it for me... PM if you'd like to know more.
Looks really cool. Ive only managed to find one place that sells 3 x 3m tarps but always out of stock. Ended up getting 2 nylon gazebo walls and sewed them together with 50lb braid. Sealed the join with gorilla tape. Mine turned a bit heavy but it packs relatively small. Used another gazebo wall to make a hammock too. Your setup looks a lot more refined though. Really cool. I'll see how long mine lasts and may get back to you for those details. Thanks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks really cool. Ive only managed to find one place that sells 3 x 3m tarps but always out of stock. Ended up getting 2 nylon gazebo walls and sewed them together with 50lb braid. Sealed the join with gorilla tape. Mine turned a bit heavy but it packs relatively small. Used another gazebo wall to make a hammock too. Your setup looks a lot more refined though. Really cool. I'll see how long mine lasts and may get back to you for those details. Thanks.
Ninja, here's a few more 'pics'... The Bivi measures 2m's x 4m's, and as stated I specifically requested that all the stitching be doubled and heavy duty... I rejected the idea of eye-lets, I've had issues with that in the past with other Bivi's... :D:

https://postimg.org/image/rxld4i4q5/

https://postimg.org/image/717qme9f5/

https://postimg.org/image/qrkfylulh/

https://postimg.org/image/uzl3kbn6r/

https://postimg.org/image/fmxbcgvwj/

Here's a few more tarps/bivi's I use... Stacks of spare tent pegs, rope and 2 hammocks I purchased

https://postimg.org/image/qiymmb1uh/

1 - 20 of 21 Posts