Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK while I was feeding cows today I got to thinking,if I left everything I own except what I carry on my back what guns do I carry that I own.

Interestingly I had a Ruger Single Seven on my hip and a Cricket .22 Mag in corner of tractor cab,for handgun no question thats what I'm carrying,looking at little Cricket I was thinking nope I have much better then I got to thinking its light,accurate,I shoot 22 WRM,and .22 WRF and it holds POA at 25 yards with both rounds and I carry it real often around farm because its light, and accurate.

Last but not least would be a Rossi 20 guage youth single shot,interestingly the rifle and shotgun are cheap guns and single shot but this is survival not war and a one man army needs to travel light and stealthy,I also carry it pretty often and interestingly enough especially when its cold as heck and I'm wearing boocoo cloths I prefere youth sized,light single shots hmmm...

Those 3 guns cover all the bases,small game,self defence,and 20 guage covers large game within range,.22 mag is lite to carry so say rounds of 1/2 - 1/2 of 200 rounds,22mag for long shots of larger game,22 WRF for small game,100 rounds for handgun 50 of either handloads with RB or 50 storebought wadcutters for smallgame/defence and 50 rounds of .327 115 grain hot stuff for defence and larger game,25 rounds of #6 shot,10 rounds of slugs,and 5 rounds of buckshot for 20 guage.

I'm no dude that thinks if I have all the bells and whistles on a AR I am a operator thats going to wipe out a platoon or even a squad of infantry,been there done that one guy aint not gonna win against a decent fireteam ,stealth is what wins IMHO.This not for combat thread this is a survive get meat and basic self defence thread.

I'd like to see honest discussion on what youl'ld carry and why,my choices are because of weight of ammo and guns and what I shoot a lot so its what I shoot well,I've found over 50 years of carrying a firearm while working I gravitate to light single shots now I honestly dont know differance in weight between 25 20 gauge shells and 25 12 gauge shells but I do know at end of day 20 gauge feels a dang sight lighter to carry. same with 22 mag verses 223 or ?? the 32 cal is way heavyer then just 22 mag but it hits much harder IMHO so weight of handgun rounds is worth it to me..

This isnt a whats best thread,I'm curious what others would grab for aw crap I gotta go and if I do come back home its going to be awhile.

·
Registered
11,790 Posts
I think a lot of people will be saying you may have a different version of self defense than they do. And that carrying three guns is a bit optimistic, even if one is a revolver.

That said, I have a Rossi 20 gauge that also has a .22 barrel. That thing is NO fun to shoot as a 20, recoil is VERY strong, and the .22 barrel makes it ridiculously heavy for what it is.

If I’m leaving home, I’m grabbing an AR and a pile of mags. Small game, large (enough) game, and self defense, all in one. If I get a minute to think about it, I might grab a few mags of 70 grain, a few of 45 grain, and a whole lot of 55 grain, but, I’m really not that picky.
Pistol? The G20, probably. Reliable, effective, and 4X15 rounds is nice.
Not bothering with a shotgun.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
We're unlikely to get in a gunfight.

If we do, its unlikely to be against a cohesive military unit.

Its more likely to be against a less cohesive less skilled criminal element. Mind you, not incohesive nor unskilled. Perhaps drug adled, perhaps not.

Regardless: its far easier having something not needed, than needing something one doesn't have.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
a beretta 92/9mm in an OWB holster, and a Mini-14 over a shoulder. mindset is more all self defense than game, but - in a survival situation - there are other ways to catch squirrels and small game, so - I don't think this is the best combo, it is just what I have and would bring if I had to go off on foot.

·
What... me worry??
235 Posts
I’ve thought about this numerous times. My plan is simple as well, and I totally agree that “Rambo” tactics are best left to the movies. The side arm is gonna be 9mm. Why? Because during or after SHTF, what will be the common ammo you find for sale/barter/on a decedent? Yeah, 9mm. It’ll be a Beretta. Why? Because from a parts/cleaning/repair standpoint it is common. Common = good in this application. Let’s forget the ballistics BS for now; this is hunt/defend/evade.

For long arms, would I like to have multiple? Yeah, I would, but I can’t carry all that. So it’s back to a Beretta shotgun for all the reasons listed above... plus a new consideration. With a relatively open choke, now I just vary the payload. Some 7 1/2# lead = hunting. A few 6# steel = waterfowling/close quarters self defense. A few 00# = larger game/better self defense. Again, 12 ga. Ammo is going to common. Other gauges... um, probably not so much.

With appropriate holster, sling and a small bandolier w/ pouch you can be light, mobile and have access to common caliber ammo.

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
Firearms for survival will mean many things depending on the environment. Some will want a rifle to reach out long range for hunting; some may only be concerned about small game hunting. Most likely live near higher population densities and self-defense is a bigger priority.

Avoiding conflict is directly proportional to life expectancy. The more you avoid conflict the longer you’ll live.

We live in a semi-rural area; closest town has a population of around 6000. There are several hay farms and other rural residents with wooded terrain broken up by hay fields; mostly rolling type terrain. While there are some open areas and stretches that can give up to a kilometer line-of-sight, one could travel and use the terrain and vegetation to limit that LOS to under 100 meters. The environment and tactics influence my choices.

If I’m forced on foot for whatever post-SHTF situation, I know I can hunt and fill my pot (if game is available; big if) with my suppressed 22/45 pistol. USRSOG has done a lot of combat survival training and have advocated for similar types of .22 pistols when doing E&E behind enemy lines. Their value is unmatched and accuracy (mine has an MRDS) is better than most realize.

While I CCW the sub-compact P365, which is likely being carried about 90% of the time, I do use the small Glock 43 at times for outdoors carry. I also do most of my training with a Glock 19. Any one of those will work for a concealable defensive tool.

Last choice is the AR “pistol” I routinely travel with; a DDM4V7 5.56mm pistol. I currently have an RDS on it, but would prefer a LPVO or mini ACOG for more accurate hunting at longer distances. This isn’t a 500 meter gun and I don’t need that kind of distance where I live. I’m more than confident in my skillset to leverage the likely maximum distance of 200-250 meters knowing the terrain and my movement are far more important. Moreover, I like the compact size that would disappear strapped to the side or inside my pack (currently an Eberlestock pack designed for carrying a firearm).

Three guns is a lot (well, technically all three are pistols). I backpack often, anywhere from 50-150 miles, so understanding how much extra weight these and the ammo is can’t be under-estimated. The Glock 43 is my backpacking gun, but outside of military road-marches, I haven’t done any long trekking fully kitted out…it wouldn’t be fun and my first choice would be my truck, second choice my mountain bike and trailer; third choice, on foot with the trailer and last option, just on foot.
For the OP, you know your environment and I assume you’ve assessed your threats and needs for both food procurement and basic self-defense. It’s really easy to over think or “what-if” you’re planning and end up with an unreasonable arsenal that would take most people several trips to stack in the back of their truck. There is no perfect choice; everyone’s choices will have compromises and a competent survivalist knows how to adapt and maximize what they have while mitigating the risk for whatever limitations their choices have.

ROCK6

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
When I walk to the back pasture, I often carry a 22 mag. Either a bolt or auto loader. I don't carry a pistol and rifle. If I'm carrying a pistol it is a 38 spec. or a 22 lr. When I packed for the fire bug out last summer, I loaded both pistols into the truck. I loaded a 22 bull barrel rifle for foraging. It is exceptionally accurate at 50 yards. I also loaded a 12 ga o/u. I like the 22 mag but to me it is a fun gun. it tears up too much meat for edible game and is a little light for deer. There is no perfect firearm for all of us. We each have different needs. Choose and use the one you shoot best. If you can't shoot it, don't take it. I use the paper plate test. If you can not keep your shots inside a paper plate at 50 yards, don't take the firearm. I remember shooting at the police range, an officer was showing me his 1911. He was very proud of the weapon. He could not hit a standard silhouette target at 50 yards with it. Not a good weapon for him

·
What would Mal do
4,706 Posts
defaulting to your scenario...if I'm out on my property working there's usually a lil smith 38spl with snake shot on my hip..if I'm patrolling on the ATV ( we tend to have trespassers) then I've got a full size 40cal and a 12ga with me..the shotgun has 5 in the tube and another 5 on the receiver holder..but that's the extent of it all...so if I had to roll with that, I guess that's what I'd have to work with...if I'm out and about normal days...my always CWP is an old Colt 380 mustang with one spare mag..not a lot to work with. actual bugout plans are dramatically different as I have battle rattle bags built around AR and full size pistol platforms and the go bag itself...enough to hopefully help fight (resist) on the path to safer ground.but honestly, home is where the heart is...so shy of a big nasty cloud full of amonia hanging over head due to a localize indutrial...this is where I stay.

·
Super Moderator
12,164 Posts
When I am where I can carry what I want, without needing to worry about legalities, I have historically carried three weapons. A .45 ACP semi-automatic handgun, which currently is a Glock 21. A .32 ACP hideout gun, currently a Beretta Tomcat semi-automatic. And a .308 or .30-'06 rifle. The rifles have varied from a Savage 99 in .308, a PTR-91 in .308, and a Remington 742 semiautomatic in .30-'06.

I can still carry the Remington, though I would prefer if I still had the Savage 99. I can no longer carry and use one of the 10-pound plus MBR because my left arm simply will not support one anymore firing off-hand. And with the PTR-91 with the left hand charging handle and stiff recoil spring, it got to where I had to dismount the rifle, rack the bolt, and then put it back to my shoulder. I just could not manage it with the gun on point.

And the way things are going I am going to have to retire the Remington, though I hope to keep it as a sniper rifle fired of a bipod primarily. I intend to go with an Auto-Ordnance M1 Carbine clone. Version with Choate folding stock, using 15-round magazines. I can still handle one of those easily.

The .308 and .30-'06 rifles would take .30 Carbine and .32 ACP chamber adapters, which covered small game hunting. The M1 Carbine clone is pretty good as is, but with .32 ACP chamber adapter I can have a quieter small game getter. Since I carry the Tomcat anyway, using .32 ACP as a hunting round in .30 caliber rifles simply works for me.

The .45 has 230gr FMJ as the primary round, but I have CCI shotshells for snakes and a couple other situations, and when I can find them again I will replace the red flares and green flares I used to keep, that I gave away to someone that wanted them more than I did. Mostly because I had them and he did not.

Add my sharps and I am good to go for most situations.

It is getting to the point where I am not going to be able to have even what I have now and still be ambulatory. It is what it is. I will have something until the day I die.

Just my opinion.

·
Survivor
16,310 Posts
SU-16CA (4.7 pounds, folds to 24.9" uses standard AR-15 ammo and magazines, holds two ten round or one 30 round magazine in the stock) with at least 2 or 3 different loads, one of which would be sub-sonic and my M&P Shield .40 with the 9mm barrel.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,675 Posts
The fact is that I am a literary critic. And my views on the most ordinary texts are not the same as all people's. Therefore, the author's text seemed very interesting to me.😄
IF you visit often you will have an interesting expansion of your "world." 😁 (y)

NOW...
if you were a literary agent.....

·
I'M READY!!
4,241 Posts
When I am where I can carry what I want, without needing to worry about legalities, I have historically carried three weapons. A .45 ACP semi-automatic handgun, which currently is a Glock 21. A .32 ACP hideout gun, currently a Beretta Tomcat semi-automatic. And a .308 or .30-'06 rifle. The rifles have varied from a Savage 99 in .308, a PTR-91 in .308, and a Remington 742 semiautomatic in .30-'06.

I can still carry the Remington, though I would prefer if I still had the Savage 99. I can no longer carry and use one of the 10-pound plus MBR because my left arm simply will not support one anymore firing off-hand. And with the PTR-91 with the left hand charging handle and stiff recoil spring, it got to where I had to dismount the rifle, rack the bolt, and then put it back to my shoulder. I just could not manage it with the gun on point.

And the way things are going I am going to have to retire the Remington, though I hope to keep it as a sniper rifle fired of a bipod primarily. I intend to go with an Auto-Ordnance M1 Carbine clone. Version with Choate folding stock, using 15-round magazines. I can still handle one of those easily.

The .308 and .30-'06 rifles would take .30 Carbine and .32 ACP chamber adapters, which covered small game hunting. The M1 Carbine clone is pretty good as is, but with .32 ACP chamber adapter I can have a quieter small game getter. Since I carry the Tomcat anyway, using .32 ACP as a hunting round in .30 caliber rifles simply works for me.

The .45 has 230gr FMJ as the primary round, but I have CCI shotshells for snakes and a couple other situations, and when I can find them again I will replace the red flares and green flares I used to keep, that I gave away to someone that wanted them more than I did. Mostly because I had them and he did not.

Add my sharps and I am good to go for most situations.

It is getting to the point where I am not going to be able to have even what I have now and still be ambulatory. It is what it is. I will have something until the day I die.

Just my opinion.
Jerry, have you considered switching to a rifle chambered in 7.62x39? Still a nice, big .30cal bullet but much lighter recoil, but with some limitations of course. I injured my arm a few months back (since healed) and couldn't handle my 3006 bolt gun anymore so switched to a stripped down SKS in a lightweight Choate folding stock and found it to be adequate.

·
reluctant sinner
17,914 Posts
How much iron and other stuff do you want to carry. A water filter will likely save your life way more often. I like to keep warm so ax and maybe the buck saw; blade for sure. Gun - yep self defense is a good reason to carry one. Besides 2 legged varmints there bears, cougars, wolves, in my AO. A 22 RF isn't going to cut it IMHO. Deer, elk and birds a 22 can work. I caught the biggest fish of my life with a 270 - after 3 days with no food - that trout was very tasty.

So a good pistol; and either a rifle/shotgun or a combo is all the firearm I plan to carry.

Chamber adapters can a good option. Steel rifled ones tend to be more accurate than un-rifled aluminum ones. Even then its a case by case to determine if it actually works well enough to be more than just a noise maker.

Amazon ebay and paypal Suck!

1 - 20 of 87 Posts