Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watched a report this morning about the supply of additives for engine oil collapsing. A guy named Mike Adams, Health Ranger Report. I never heard of him either. But if it’s true …

Do Diesel engines require oil that’s different from say, the 10W-40 I put in my Jeep? You can’t just buy a case of Quaker State for a diesel?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Russia Russia Russia... we're sending too much product to Europe, on an already strained supply chain. I saw an oil change place recently, and I forget the weight, but they basically had this on their sign: "We have 10w-40 Oil!".

·
Old Soldier
5,369 Posts
Diesel oil is 15W-40 most of the time.
Shell Rotella is the most popular brand.
Yes, it is formulated differently from oil for cars and light trucks.
It is higher in zinc, for one thing.

I’m retired and work part time in one of the largest auto supply chains in the nation.
For the last 6 or 8 months Diesel engine oil supply has been sometimes spotty. We serve a lot of loggers, heavy equipment operations and heavy equipment mechanics.
We go through a lot of it every week.
I bought three oil changes for the wife’s diesel Silverado and put them out in the barn.

Not only diesel oil, but all trucks since 2010 have an emissions system that requires a fluid called DEF. This is getting in short supply, the major manufacturer of urea, the main ingredient, is Russia. The US ranks #4.
The computers in these trucks are programmed to shut the engine down if there is no DEF in its on board tank.
You think there’s shortages now? Just wait.

·
Low speed , High drag
1,295 Posts
I listened to the same report this morning from Mike Adams. Looks like August could be really rough if they don't figure out how to avoid a shortage crisis.
Our glorious leaders are causing the problem.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I listened to the same report this morning from Mike Adams. Looks like August could be really rough if they don't figure out how to avoid a shortage crisis.
If it’s real, and not sensationalist fear-mongering, and nothing changes, it will be a disaster of the first order. Almost everything transported anywhere involves a diesel engine. Ships, trucks, trains.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
8,602 Posts
Diesel oil is 15W-40 most of the time.
Shell Rotella is the most popular brand.
Yes, it is formulated differently from oil for cars and light trucks.
It is higher in zinc, for one thing.

I’m retired and work part time in one of the largest auto supply chains in the nation.
For the last 6 or 8 months Diesel engine oil supply has been sometimes spotty. We serve a lot of loggers, heavy equipment operations and heavy equipment mechanics.
We go through a lot of it every week.
I bought three oil changes for the wife’s diesel Silverado and put them out in the barn.

Not only diesel oil, but all trucks since 2010 have an emissions system that requires a fluid called DEF. This is getting in short supply, the major manufacturer of urea, the main ingredient, is Russia. The US ranks #4.
The computers in these trucks are programmed to shut the engine down if there is no DEF in its on board tank.
You think there’s shortages now? Just wait.

Thanks for saving me a lot of typing.

When I did my last oil change there was enough oil on the shelf for three oil changes. Yesterday at our Walmart there was enough on the shelf to change the oil in a good sized fleet of diesels. DEF was also fully stocked.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Watched a report this morning about the supply of additives for engine oil collapsing. A guy named Mike Adams, Health Ranger Report. I never heard of him either. But if it’s true …

Mike Adams is notoriously emotional and he has problems with logical reasoning. IOW, Mike Adams is a poor source. When covid hit, he predicted 200 Million Americans would die. He misinterpreted his models. He does not have an advanced degree in science (I do), and his training is no more than the average person's. FYI. EVERYTHING this guy says must be regarded as sensationalist and, most of the time, incorrect. Do your own thinking and researching.

I've researched "diesel motor oil shortage" and found nothing except the Union Pacific RR shutting off 67% of Pilot / Travel J DEF supplies. This will cut off approximately 30% * .67 == 20% of U.S. DEF availability from current sources.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I buy and use commercial lubricants for machinery at 2 wastewater plants and 1 potable water plant plus standby generators which are mostly diesel powered. Exxon-Mobil can't get enough additive packages for their lubricants. We use a lot of synthetic Mobil gear oil. The additive packages are imported. They are refining and shipping the base oils but the "add' packages really are the key compounds. So, they're concentrating on their most valuable markets; Walmart and Amazon. This info is coming from a local Mobil distributor and a regional distributor. So after a month, we've sourced an equivalent product from Shell Oil. Their supply is also shrinking. If you need oil, I would buy extra now...a lot extra.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I read Mike Adams almost every day. He is entertaining like The Road was entertaining.

However not much of what he says should be taken seriously, based on his poor track record of making predictions.

After the 2020 election, he had White Hats in the deep state coming to the rescue and installing Trump.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts