Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Indefatigable
22,835 Posts
That very thread, found while doing research for our own cabin is what led me to this forum. He did a great job! I an only hope ours turns out half as well.
We will be using 3 - 20ft containers. Two joined together for living and sleeping and a single for the kitchen and bath, separated by a 20x14 ft breezeway otherwise known as a Dog-Trot cabin. We plan to put garage doors on both ends of that opening, so that the space can be used year-round. This one is a little rough, but none the less was our inspiration:
http://earthsci.org/education/fieldsk/container/container.html

·
Survivor
18,624 Posts
Thanks West Texas, I wouldn't have seen it if you hadn't posted. IMO he did a great job, the only thing I might do different would be to space the two containers 10' - 12' apart to gain some cheap, easy, extra square footage. Cinder block walls and a roof section between the two would add quite a bit of space especially using 20 foot containers.

·
Survivor
18,624 Posts
That very thread, found while doing research for our own cabin is what led me to this forum. He did a great job! I an only hope ours turns out half as well.
We will be using 3 - 20ft containers. Two joined together for living and sleeping and a single for the kitchen and bath, separated by a 20x14 ft breezeway otherwise known as a Dog-Trot cabin. We plan to put garage doors on both ends of that opening, so that the space can be used year-round. This one is a little rough, but none the less was our inspiration:
http://earthsci.org/education/fieldsk/container/container.html
Sounds like a great plan Jojo, the garage door idea is brilliant. I might even think about a stairway for inside roof access from the center breezeway.

·
Indefatigable
22,835 Posts
Sounds like a great plan Jojo, the garage door idea is brilliant. I might even think about a stairway for inside roof access from the center breezeway.
Actually, depending on the cost of land and how well the plan fits the site, we were thinking of hidden floor access going down from the dog trot into a basement. Not full size just the size of the DT area 20x14

·
Survivor
18,624 Posts
Actually, depending on the cost of land and how well the plan fits the site, we were thinking of hidden floor access going down from the dog trot into a basement. Not full size just the size of the DT area 20x14
That's another good idea, I was thinking about roof access and maybe even a parapet or lookout room like a guard tower just in case.

·
Capability, not scenarios
12,556 Posts
I think it's very cool and clever.

The only question I have is about the flat roof. I hate flat roofs, I'm wondering if he did anything to prevent leaks. One thing that would seem to work well is something like pickup truck bedliner sprayed on the top.

·
Survivor
18,624 Posts
I think it's very cool and clever.

The only question I have is about the flat roof. I hate flat roofs, I'm wondering if he did anything to prevent leaks. One thing that would seem to work well is something like pickup truck bedliner sprayed on the top.
They should be good for years, they are built to transport goods across the ocean multiple times without leakage. That said anytime you have seams you are going to need some sort of roof seal, there are plenty of options out there.

·
The Time Is Now
6,398 Posts
Here is a pretty good cabin built out of 2 sea containers. Nice work.

http://seacontainercabin.blogspot.com/
This is so awesome! I so want to do this.

The only thing I did not like about the project was the color he painted it, and the decorations on the inside and whatnot. It was a little to artsy for me. When I build mine, I hope to have it more utilitarian and rugged. And also I will only have the one bed room. The other room would be a storage room/armory/vault/communication/security room.

I still love what they did with the place.

·
The Time Is Now
6,398 Posts
This container build blog has been posted on here AT LEAST a dozen times already. Yes it is nice but a simple search would have eliminated the redundant thread.
Who cares? Do you have to maintain the server for this site? Do you twist and turn at night thinking about the redundant threads on forums?

Get real. :rolleyes:

·
reluctant sinner
20,154 Posts
TGI's are a cheap way of spanning gaps. Check with your local truss builder, they often have some miss ordered ones about for a very good prices.

My favorite design was 2 Quonset huts set apart in a V. TGI's spanned the gap tying into the roof arches. Made for a nice covered area, could be a garden if the roof was clear panels.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.