Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
King of Nido
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following recipe is a gem(as in i wish i could swallow diamonds to cut out this horrible taste.)

I have made this once, and no matter what i did to doctor it up (milk, sugar, coffeemate etc) it was hardcore bitter. But it is a fall back when you dont have the beans.

Acorn coffee
For acorn coffee, heat the oven to 500°F. Hull and
roast 2 cups of white oak acorns. In a separate pan, roast 1;2
cup wheat. Cool and pound with a mortar or process in a food
processor. Combine. Boil 1;4 cup of the mixture in two cups of
water and pour the mixture through a coffee filter. Makes a
reddish-brown coffee.

recipe from a very old recipe card.

·
Noble Savage
2,314 Posts
What DWwolf said. It's super bitter because you didn't soak the acorns. Once that's done they're pretty much tasteless, though it might remove any point as a coffee substitute. You might be better served using chicory or yaupon holly as they both actually have caffeine in them, something I'm not so sure acorns have.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
What DWwolf said. It's super bitter because you didn't soak the acorns. Once that's done they're pretty much tasteless, though it might remove any point as a coffee substitute. You might be better served using chicory or yaupon holly as they both actually have caffeine in them, something I'm not so sure acorns have.
Yaupon Holly has caffeine, but Chicory doesn't. It's used for flavor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts