Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Independent Thinker
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Virtually all land is owned, so anywhere you decided to go you will be on someone's property. If half of land owners are like some of those on this forum that have the shoot on sight mentality it will be very dangerous for people bugging out.

This video has good sensible advice for the land owner and the traveler.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Why does everyone assume that bugging out means going to/through other's property? Taking roads, hopefully hardly ever used rural ones, to another piece of property you own is how I always pictured bugging out.

In our current situation our plan is to bug out. Mind you it's only about a 3 mile drive to out BOL, but it's on rural roads and to another piece of property that we own.

Those that plan to bug out to a location they don't own or haven't arranged with the owner are just not properly prepared.

·
Independent Thinker
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why does everyone assume that bugging out means going to/through other's property? Taking roads, hopefully hardly ever used rural ones, to another piece of property you own is how I always pictured bugging out.

In our current situation our plan is to bug out. Mind you it's only about a 3 mile drive to out BOL, but it's on rural roads and to another piece of property that we own.

Those that plan to bug out to a location they don't own or haven't arranged with the owner are just not properly prepared.

Well also don't assume everyone is your situation. Many will avoid roads because they will be perceived as dangerous. If you go on YouTube and just search you "bug out bag", there all MANY people that don't consider themselves preppers, yet they have a bug out bag for "just in case". Most of their plans are to bug out to a rural setting and hunt off the land. Which if you know, if it has an abundance of deer it's owned.

Reactions: dealfinder500

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well also don't assume everyone is your situation. Many will avoid roads because they will be perceived as dangerous. If you go on YouTube and just search you "bug out bag", there all MANY people that don't consider themselves preppers, yet they have a bug out bag for "just in case". Most of their plans are to bug out to a rural setting and hunt off the land. Which if you know, if it has an abundance of deer it's owned.
I know most people aren't lucky enough to be only 3 miles away from their BOL. But hopefully they've thought their travel plans through and have a destination that they own. That was my main point.

Living off the 'land' is a concept that died with private property laws. And Dowg, trust me, you are not the only one planning to go to a state park. I hope you and the however many others with the same plans are friendly.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Many people get hung up with the BUG-OUT or SHELTER IN PLACE. Everyone’s situation is different and the only one that should concern you is what is best for you and yours.
Every emergency could be different and will effect people to varying degrees. Sheltering in place can not be guaranteed to be available. People ALL PEOPLE should have plans to relocate if needed. You need to find a place to go that will be safe and welcoming. Depending on the season it may be a park and an impromptu camping trip. It may be a friend in a location hours away.
Again people should have plans but they need to be tailored to you and yours.

·
Registered
869 Posts
There's about 313million people in the US.
Let's say ONLY 1% of the population, 1 in 100, think if anything ever happened, they'd go to the woods and eat like a king on hunted game, and they'd never see anyone else.

1 in 100 means 3,130,000 people tromping around in the woods trying to hunt and shooting anything that moves.

Given that nearly anyone who owns a shotgun or rifle thinks they're going to be the King of Hunters should SHTF (and I've talked to a lot of people who don't prep and truly think they'll provide all the food the entire family would need for years by hunting if shtf), that number is actually a LOT higher.

I'd be nervous in the woods...

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
This internet ridiculousness of My Land, My BOL, My Property, these fallacies come from individuals that are completely ignorant of real world disasters. Any SHTF that causes you to actually flee to 'Your' BOL ends that line of thinking instantly :xeye:

Trust me, after being in Africa, witnessing the migration of people fleeing real life disasters, 'your' land is THEIR land when scared people choose to walk across it, sleep on it, burn the wood from it, eat the animals found on it :rolleyes:

You can stand around all day & night, pointing at a paper deed and claiming it as yours, but you will sound like a 2-year old yelling 'mine, mine, mine' as they ignore you :D:

Your BOL is everyone's BOL if it is useful, in the line of travel, has resources, etc.

And stop right there! Unless you expect to never, ever, have a court system again, I suggest you rethink that idea of stacking bodies like cord wood as they live off 'Your' so-called land. You turn on these nomads and they will end you, battle rifle or no battle rifle, you will be torn limb from limb for that stupid choice.

Seriously, if you want to start understanding what it takes to be prepared for a disaster, you will learn almost nothing on these Nintendo-think, survivalist-fantasy websites. This is nearly all mall-ninja crap :taped:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Growing up in Tenn, as kids we knew where all the good campsites and hidey places (and dope patches) were in the woods within 5 miles from home. I suspect if there are locals living within that range of a BOL, they already know where it is, whats there, best places to hide and spy on the folks setting it up, etc. Not to mention them getting bent out of shape about "Damn outsider shootin' MY deer!".

Our plans are to stay in place, but we have made arrangements with a friend who has a farm 20 or so miles west of here, and with retired relatives that live "Up North" of GB, along with contacts down towards Manitowoc. With the understanding that we go there, or they come here, depending on the nature of the disaster.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I think we need to mark this down on the calendar. Michigan RN actually entertained the idea that a SHTF situation might actually happen.
Michigan, usually you're telling us nothing beyond a very minor, temporary, extremely localized burp will ever happen. Are you being converted by this Nintendo-think, survivalist-fantasy website you're hanging out on? :)

·
Anarchist/Animist Primate
5,771 Posts
It really depends on your area and the situation. In a localized event like Katrina, then yes, land is owned and possibly defended. As long as there is some sort of government to enforce your ownership, you need to be careful.

If it's a national or global event, and there looks to be no end in sight, then the concept of property changes dramatically.

Ownership then means what you can realistically defend, whether that's a backpack of belongings or a few acres.

Essentially though, all land goes back to "the wild" after TEOTWAWKI.

·
Registered
5 Posts
K folks, let's set all the posturing and chest-puffing aside. SP1 has given you an intelligent and experienced answer. Odds are, unless you've got some serious psychological trouble, when SHTF you are going to be who you are. You're not going to turn into John Rambo, unless you're already John Rambo. If you have a decent bone in your body and would help out a fellow human being, then odds are you're probably going to do the same in this scenario. What you need to consider is - does helping this person compromise my family/group? If not, help 'em out. If it does, just be up front about it. Just tell them, "Hey, I'd like to help, but I've got my own to care for." Or some such. Or, as SP1 said, if you don't have to engage, just observe and see if they're a threat or not. If not, live and let live.

The best advice I've had in years is "When you have to fight, fight fiercely and intelligently. The rest of the time, be nice." THAT is what I train to do. I get a lot more in-kind payback from people, today. I'd imagine it would be even more-so in a survival situation. I don't want to fight people that I've ****ed off - I want friends and neighbors I can turn to for help, because I've helped them.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I like Michigan RN's response.

As far as bailing to Rainier....good luck with that. As a deer, elk and bear hunter who has hunted in the Cascades for over 35 years, you better have a well supplied BOL already to go, because these woods are famous for lacking food, lacking sufficient sunlight to the ground to support much food growth, bad soils, soggy and rotten fuel sources. Your BOL better not just be a blue tarp campers idea to simply wait it out in the rainforest.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I won't have to bug out. if the SHFT I can finally shoot those stupid squirls that keep eating my bird seed. Those things multiply like rabbits.

Anyways, good video. Tresspassing is always an issue during hunting season out here in the boondocks. Having a bunch of poachers going through my land and my nieghbors would really **** us off.

what many people might find in a real SHTF situation is farmers and friends patroling eachothers land for poachers and tresspassers. Best to post signs and tell people to stick to walking the side of the road.

if you are bugging out and the SHTF, try asking for permission to hunt rabbit on someone land. You will find most locals, who live in farm area...will actually give you food and maybe even a place to stay. Especially if we see a fmaily with little kids walking down the road and are hungry.

us hicks will probably let you camp in our woods, poach some rabbits and even feed ya dinner. all we ever ask is that you doin't steal.

·
Psalm 23:4
2,891 Posts
Everyones situation is different. In the Colorado rockies masses of people roaming the forest just aint realistic. Some may try but most wont last long. Very very few are capable of surviving that way. Those who are probably wont encounter too many other people. Anyone showing up at our place is most likely family/friend/neighbor. In some ways a harsh winter is a good thing.

Many people take the need for shelter too lightly when they talk about bugging out like a nomad. Should only be given up as a last resort. Sometimes there aint a choice. Even then ya better have some place to go and set up life again. For those living in major cities... God help ya.

·
Fenced In
3,382 Posts
I equate the dangers of bugging out to those of driving. You can be prepared, have incredible skills and be aware of every detail, but if someone lacking any one of those (or worse yet, all of those) decides to get too close, you might have to distance yourself from them even though your self-confidence might lead you to "hold your own" and let survival of the fittest dictate the outcome. Those who lack skill, preparedness or attention to detail are more likely to act unpredictably because their decisions will ultimately be reaction-based out of necessity.

Another thing I've considered is that if you're en route to your BOL and have to stop along the way, someone who sees you and sees that you're better prepared than they are may be compelled to try the whole "safety in numbers" thing. In most urban settings, a person walking or driving through an unfamiliar neighborhood isn't likely to just stop and strike up a conversation with a stranger, but if everyone is fleeing territory, they might somehow reach the conclusion that they share a common bond with the stranger with the tent, fire and supplies. "I bet he/she could use someone to talk to!"

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Timing is everything. If someone was crossing my land today, they would get a friendly WTF are you doing? I would be armed, as usual, but I wouldn't be drawing down on anyone unless they were openly armed.

If they were on my land post SHTF, they would be prone while they explained their situation. In a full scale mass evacuation from major cities, I still wouldn't see any people on my place so it's a moot point. I live in a no where place that is pretty isolated.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts