Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I sell US Military MRE's
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the great advantages of the AR platform is the multitude of different calibers available ie: 9mm, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8spc. I just came across info on the .300 Blackout round, probably old news to some of you but new to me. It intrigued me because there is no need to change the bolt or magazines on the standard 5.56. Same capacity and excellent ballistics. Check out this link...

http://300aacblackout.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/300_AAC_Blackout_(7.62×35mm)

anyone have more info on this round? Looks like a big winner to me.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I saw that round too just recently. I had heard about it before but never looked into it. I do like it. It seems to be a bit better than the 7.62x39, but pretty close.

My only vice with these special rounds (6.5, 6.8, .458 SOCOM, etc) is while they interchange easily with the AR, their prices are through the roof! You HAVE to reload unless your rich. Okay, maybe thats a bit of stretch, but their still not cheap. Plus, their not common.

I really want a 6.8 though. And a .458... I think the blackout would be great for a silenced weapon.

·
I sell US Military MRE's
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
get a 7.62 nato and be done with it!!!!:thumb:
I like the 7.62 nato round. That said, one has to admire the flexibility of the 300 round (the 7.62 can't touch the devastating subsonic capabilities) and the utilitarian fact that you can use one AR-15 platform that can shoot BOTH 5.56 and .300 using the same mags and bolt, just a barrel swap. Like having two guns that are both much lighter than a 7.62 platform. Cheaper and more avail gun parts for AR-15's aswell.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I don't have a problem with it, but aac trying to say it's the bestest thing ever is rather silly. People have been shooting a round called the 300 whisper or 300 fireball for a long time now. for some reason it seems like if a company that puts out decent stuff already, makes some real minor changes to something that has been around for years it's all of a sudden a must have by a lot of people into firearms.

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
The only reasons for the AR-15-

95% parts compatibility with the M4/M16 in gov't arsenals, plus the vast amount of civilian guns out there.

.223 and 5.56mm caliber ammunition is prolific.

Every American veteran of the last 40+ years is familiar with the platform.

The reason to stick with 5.56 at this point is the sheer number of 5.56 guns out there already. If you encounter another AR in a survival or shtf situation most likely 9 out of 10 of them will be 5.56 guns.

The alternate calibers aren't widespread enough nor do they have the aftermarket parts inventories to justify changing over for me.

Reactions: Red Dawn and rover

·
I sell US Military MRE's
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't have a problem with it, but aac trying to say it's the bestest thing ever is rather silly. People have been shooting a round called the 300 whisper or 300 fireball for a long time now. for some reason it seems like if a company that puts out decent stuff already, makes some real minor changes to something that has been around for years it's all of a sudden a must have by a lot of people into firearms.
I maybe wrong but I think the licensing of those other rounds made it an issue with cost. The Blackout can be produced by anyone without fees and can be reloaded using 5.56 casings.
It is nice to know there are other options for the M4. I'm happy with 5.56 as my primary weapon.

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts
I finally talked one of my friends into a ar15. He's like the 3 or 4th one since the elections. He got a really nice Stag Arms. An Ak wasn't the best choice for him for a lot of reasons. his wife being small also was one of my reasons to push the M4 type rifle.
he got a decent rail setup, light, ect. he put about 1000 rounds thu it in a month so I thiink OK- on to the next subject........

So I stop by last night to visit and find out he sold the whole upper for $250, bought a 7.62x39 upper out of shotgun news and says it a bear gun now.

I just give up!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I maybe wrong but I think the licensing of those other rounds made it an issue with cost. The Blackout can be produced by anyone without fees and can be reloaded using 5.56 casings.
It is nice to know there are other options for the M4. I'm happy with 5.56 as my primary weapon.
300 fireball needs no licensing. 300 whisper is owned by JD Jones. brass can be made from 223 brass for both cartridges. The only real difference with 300 blackout is it sounds more tactical than fireball and the chamber has a slightly longer throat.

·
locomotive jockey
195 Posts
I finally talked one of my friends into a ar15. He's like the 3 or 4th one since the elections. He got a really nice Stag Arms. An Ak wasn't the best choice for him for a lot of reasons. his wife being small also was one of my reasons to push the M4 type rifle.
he got a decent rail setup, light, ect. he put about 1000 rounds thu it in a month so I thiink OK- on to the next subject........

So I stop by last night to visit and find out he sold the whole upper for $250, bought a 7.62x39 upper out of shotgun news and says it a bear gun now.

I just give up!
i can PROMMIS you with 100% certanty that if the proverbial bear comes onto my property, it wont be a 1 shot deal. Ill put the whole mag into him. Funny thing...those bears are everywhere...cant be too careful :rolleyes:

·
I sell US Military MRE's
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So this might be a horrible redundant/idiotic/noob question but can you really throw this round into an AR 15 platform with no change of parts?
The 300 Blackout uses the same AR lower and upper as well as the same magazines and bolt carrier group. The only thing you have to switch is the barrel. Nothing else is different....that is why I think it is a nice option.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I like the 7.62 nato round. That said, one has to admire the flexibility of the 300 round (the 7.62 can't touch the devastating subsonic capabilities) and the utilitarian fact that you can use one AR-15 platform that can shoot BOTH 5.56 and .300 using the same mags and bolt, just a barrel swap. Like having two guns that are both much lighter than a 7.62 platform. Cheaper and more avail gun parts for AR-15's aswell.
I for one would NOT recommend "just a barrel swap" to change out calibers. Even if they use the same base casing and all, using the same bolt for two different barrels is not a good idea. Besides that, it is soooooooo much easier to spend the extra couple hundred bucks to have a complete upper with bolt/carrier assembly. It is a lot easier to pop two pins than to change out a barrel every time you want a caliber change. Just don't mismatch the barrels with the loaded mags...one way will jam, the other will have awful accuracy.

·
I sell US Military MRE's
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I for one would NOT recommend "just a barrel swap" to change out calibers. Even if they use the same base casing and all, using the same bolt for two different barrels is not a good idea. Besides that, it is soooooooo much easier to spend the extra couple hundred bucks to have a complete upper with bolt/carrier assembly. It is a lot easier to pop two pins than to change out a barrel every time you want a caliber change. Just don't mismatch the barrels with the loaded mags...one way will jam, the other will have awful accuracy.
Good points and I don't necessarily disagree. I do like the idea of reloading the same brass as 5.56, using same magazines as 5.56 and same bolt as 5.56. This all makes for great redundancy for two guns.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I built a .300/221 in the AR for a specific purpose, I wanted to use the thing for deer hunting in Wisconsin. Why? Because I wanted a deer rifle that could fire several quick shots. Before you get on me for poor shooting, it has nothing to do with that.
Wisc had an "earn a buck" law that means you have to shoot a doe before you can shoot a buck. Well when they come into the stand together your screwed, unless you can cycle the arm with out spooking the buck. It happened the first time I hunted here.

He did not spook at the shot, but when the bolt started to go click,click click as I cycled it, he went off at the first click. I shot one of the .300 WTF's (there are too many names to list for this round) in both super and sub sonic and since it is in the .30/30 to 7.62 x 39 class I figured it to be about perfect for the application. Well before I could use it last year they repealed the law, and if you live in Wisc. you know the biggest complaint after season last year was lack of deer. Since I also hunt in Michigan I can't use a .223, so it will work there.

I understand that it works very well when suppressed. I agree with the guy who said you should get a complete upper rather than just a barrel, unless of course you want to dedicate the upper you have to the .300 and either get rid of or build another upper for the .223/5.56 barrel.

By the way, don't get too worked up about SSK inventing the round, the .300/.221 goes back at least to the mid 70's. SSK did get a copyright on the .300 Whisper. The shoulder angle, the length and taper for the Whisper belong to J. D. Jones(owner of SSK) any other dimmentions for a .221 based cartridge are there for the taking.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts